Running shoes

Options
I want to start running. I just bought a pair of adidas springblades, and they seem to fit a little loose. Is this how running shoes should fit?

Replies

• jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shop and get properly fitted for shoes that suit your running style
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Shoes should be a little loose when you first put them on cause your feet swell.
    Whether or not they're the right shoe is a different story that ^^ it's taking about.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Best advice for any new runner - get properly fitted at a running store. Not a department or sporting goods store, a proper running store. Spend the $150 or whatever it costs to go with the shoe they recommend after observing your gait. The proper shoes are the most important piece of equipment.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love my Nikes! I have spent so much money on different brands and types and I have found that Nike are the best. I do tons of cardio and recently started running. No complaints no pain. Excellent investment.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm very budget conscious when it comes to workout gear. I avoided getting fitted for proper running shoes when I started. Biggest mistake! When I finally took the plunge and went to a running store (JackRabbit in Brooklyn, in my case), I realized what I was missing. The shoes I bought were only $100 (relatively cheap for running shoes).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Yes go to a running store and they should put you in a shoe a bit longer then your normal shoe size. I say "should" because mine didn't and it caused most of my toenails to fall off, now I know better.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Shoes should be a little loose when you first put them on cause your feet swell.
    Whether or not they're the right shoe is a different story that ^^ it's taking about.

Running shoes should only be loose in the toebox. The actual shoe fit should be tighter.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Different feet require different shoes... Definitely consult a running store to be evaluated. That being said, my running shoes are a full size (to size-and-a-half) larger than the shoes I wear every day.
  • phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When you go get fitted ask if they have a return policy. The store I go to has a return policy. Just return the shoes in 2 to 3 weeks. I've had to use it once in 10 years. The model of shoe I was wearing had been discontinued. The new model felt good at the store, but my shins were killing me after a week and a half. Gave me a full refund for the old shoes and got me fitted into a new pair.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sound like a parrot.... but you have 4 posts (prior to mine, 5 with) go to a dedicated running store and get fitted. Proper shoes for your running gait make a huge difference...If you're serious about running. My jaw dropped when they recommended $160 shoes for me (pronation, more wear on the toe, etc). Looking at it a month later (now over a year) it was 100% worth it. Let the experts do the work for you so you can focus on the running. :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a good shoe will save you money in the long run. you will be more likely to avoid injury.
  • titianknitter
    titianknitter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When my running shoes are just right, they disappear on my feet. I never think about them.

If they are super loose, you are at risk for blisters and injuries, both the long term overuse kind and the ankle-breaking kind. Go get a fitting. Note that if you normally wear narrows or wides you may need to find a store that actually stocks those sizes; not all running stores do.

Good shoes are lots cheaper and easier to obtain than an orthopedist and physical therapy. Infected blisters aren't any fun, either.
  • Hunter2224
    Hunter2224 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana does anyone know of a good running shoe store here or near by?
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't think running shops are always the only answer (I've run 7000 km in shoes I'm told are wrong for me and get knee pain every time I've tried the recommended stability shoes), those adidas look pretty weird, but who knows, maybe that is the future :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Hunter2224 wrote: »
    I live in Indiana does anyone know of a good running shoe store here or near by?

indiana is a big state. we would need to know more specifics. Check for races in your area and see where the packet pick ups are. often times, for my area, they are at local running stores.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i got nike air 3s. so light.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that what you run on needs to be factored into the shoe selection. Me, I am a road runner, I live downtown and like to just walk out my door and go! Thinking about changing shoes, any recommendations from fellow road runners?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hunter2224 wrote: »

Store finder
  • Hunter2224
    Options
    Thanks
  • Hunter2224
    Options
    from what I can tell it's going to cost me at least $150 for good running shoes, that isn't in my budget at the moment as I have more pressing expenses. Any suggestions?