Trying to Build A HOT Bod!

Options
I've lost 35 lbs in the last year and now I want to sculpt my body by gaining muscle . I lift 3 times a week and do 1 cardio day usually hiit. I've been doing this routine for about 3 months and haven't seen much of a change in my body. MY WEIGHT is staying around 140lbs and I'm 5'5. Any Advise would be highly appreciated.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The answers to these questions will help people give relevant advice:

1) What does your lifting routine consist of?

2) Are you taking photos and measurements (with a tape, not scale weight) periodically?

3) What is your daily calorie intake?

4) What is your daily protein intake (in grams)?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You look pretty bloody good in your profile pic! :)
  • dannnz13
    dannnz13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new to this app but feel free to add me! I may be able to offer some tips and tricks if you give more information on what you are currently doing!
  • Jeanette562
    Jeanette562 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

2) Are you taking photos and measurements (with a tape, not scale weight) periodically?

Hello!

1. I do a 3 day dumbell split
    Day 1 legs, shoulders
    Day 2 chest, tric,abs
    Day 3 back, biceps,traps
    Day 4 cardio

2. I do progress pics but I'm not to good with the measuring tape.

3. I take in roughly 1200 calories a day and carb cycle. When I do have carbs it's usually 1/2 cup of oats, brown rice or small red potato
    4. I average about 80-90 grams of protein a day...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Hello!

Day 1 legs, shoulders
    Day 2 chest, tric,abs
    Day 3 back, biceps,traps
    Day 4 cardio

3. I take in roughly 1200 calories a day and carb cycle. When I do have carbs it's usually 1/2 cup of oats, brown rice or small red potato

If you're trying to build muscle, you're likely not eating enough calories. There are two ways to go about building muscle: recomposition or bulking.

If you are happy with your current weight but want to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass, eat at maintenance and lift heavy (this is a very long process). More info here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

If you want to gain mass knowing some will be fat with the muscle (may require fat loss at the end of your bulk), you need to eat at a slight surplus and lift heavy. More info here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Hello!

Day 1 legs, shoulders
    Day 2 chest, tric,abs
    Day 3 back, biceps,traps
    Day 4 cardio

Bold is your problem.

No one is going to build muscle on only 1200 calories per day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hello!

Day 1 legs, shoulders
    Day 2 chest, tric,abs
    Day 3 back, biceps,traps
    Day 4 cardio

Bold is your problem.

No one is going to build muscle on only 1200 calories per day.

Agreed. Don't be afraid of carbs, either.

Adding a bit more volume won't hurt you either, such that you hit each muscle group 2-3x week rather than only once. But cals should probably be your first priority.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 program might be a good option for you. It is great for strength and muscle gains, but yes as the other people have mentioned you need more calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    She might be logging 1200 but actually eating a bit more.
    Jeannette, if you have been tracking here, have you determined what your maintenance calories are?
  • Jeanette562
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been logging cals on here to try to lose 5-10lbs but rather then worry about the weight u want to transform my body. I start adding more protein and carbs to my meal plan. . Thanks you for your advice it's greatly appreciated. .
  • Jeanette562
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    You look pretty bloody good in your profile pic! :)

Thanks..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've been logging cals on here to try to one 5-10lbs but rather then worry about the weight u want to transform my body. I start adding more protein and carbs to my meal plan. . Thanks you for your advice it's greatly appreciated. .

Here are three great threads to read. All of them are from a group here on MFP called Eat, Train, Progress. It's a no-nonsense forum run by two members, one who is a personal trainer and one who is a competitive powerlifter. Lots of very good advice in that group without all the woo about fads and things that don't work:

Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Strength Training - The Basics

Expectations - Keeping it Real
  • Jeanette562
    Options
    I've been logging cals on here to try to one 5-10lbs but rather then worry about the weight u want to transform my body. I start adding more protein and carbs to my meal plan. . Thanks you for your advice it's greatly appreciated. .

Here are three great threads to read. All of them are from a group here on MFP called Eat, Train, Progress. It's a no-nonsense forum run by two members, one who is a personal trainer and one who is a competitive powerlifter. Lots of very good advice in that group without all the woo about fads and things that don't work:

Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Strength Training - The Basics

Expectations - Keeping it Real

Thanks alot you've been tons of help!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 1200 calories being low. You need a progressive overload and proper calories/nutrition for building. Recomp may be something to look into as mentioned above.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lol I clicked thread kinda shaking my head a bit but good to see OP got the help that was asked. 1.2k calories is low to do any sort of "building" and good job on losing that much weight but don't be scared of increasing your calories just monitor any progress..
  • Jeanette562
    Options
    Lol I clicked thread kinda shaking my head a bit but good to see OP got the help that was asked. 1.2k calories is low to do any sort of "building" and good job on losing that much weight but don't be scared of increasing your calories just monitor any progress..

Thanks! I'm afraid that eating to much good stuff will lead to gain weight but I definitely have to adjust my calories. .
  • Jeanette562
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I agree with the 1200 calories being low. You need a progressive overload and proper calories/nutrition for building. Recomp may be something to look into as mentioned above.

Thanks...
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks! I'm afraid that eating to much good stuff will lead to gain weight but I definitely have to adjust my calories. .

Can relate. Just stay on top of it but understand that in order to build muscle (you won't get freakishly big, you don't produce enough testosterone) you will gain some fat it's just a matter of making sure you don't eat too much good stuff like you said. recomp is a much slower process so I won't recommend that if you want faster results

It definitely is hard to go from losing weight to building in terms of mindset because you start to let the fear of going back to old habits take over your mind..