Most accurate way to find out my TDEE?

Options
I just finished my cut and now im on trying to eat at maintamce but im not sure exactly how to calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You do the math... figure out how much you lost with the deficit you had, figure out that 3500 calories is one pound lost, and do the math from there.
  • dancafc1995
    dancafc1995 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The best way would be to drink some expensive doubley labbeled water which will show you how many calories you burn. Obviously for most people this is not a practical solution so the only way to really figure out your TDEE is to eat at a specific calorie level for a week and then track your weight, try 2500 calories then reassess
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I feel like it calculated my TDEE a bit high, but it is a good starting point.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Slowly add 200 calories per day until you stop losing.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Experimentation is the best way--and it may take 8 - 12 weeks to really see what your equilibrium is.

Try adding 100 calories per day for two weeks. Still losing? Add another 100 per day for another two weeks. Still losing? Add another 100 per day for another two weeks. . . and so on. If you gain over a two-week period, then, back of 50 calories per day.

When you reach the point where you hold steady over a two week period, then you'll know!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The best way would be to drink some expensive doubley labbeled water which will show you how many calories you burn. Obviously for most people this is not a practical solution so the only way to really figure out your TDEE is to eat at a specific calorie level for a week and then track your weight, try 2500 calories then reassess

I thought the water was just for consumption but certainly a metabolic chamber would be sweet!
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options

yup!!! love that calculator!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The calculators are a nice starting point, but if you've just finished a cut, you already have the data to calculate your TDEE as @Francl27 pointed out.

edit: This tool is helpful and does the calculations for you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927
  • kianrashidi123
    kianrashidi123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Expensive labbeled water?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You know how much you lost while cutting...multiply the pounds with 3500 calories. Add that amount to the total you calories you ate.
    Take the the total days and divide the total amount ( calorie intake plus the lost pounds) and you have your TDEE ( the closest estimate you can get.)

Use your own data and you know. aboutish...But it still is a matter of trying out

And the labeled water yes, very expensive.
    Saw some pricing of "one person 2 weeks 1500 dollars" Don't even know if it is right.

95069916.png
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You know how much you lost while cutting...multiply the pounds with 3500 calories. Add that amount to the total you calories you ate.
    Take the the total days and divide the total amount ( calorie intake plus the lost pounds) and you have your TDEE ( the closest estimate you can get.)

Use your own data and you know. aboutish...But it still is a matter of trying out

Saw some pricing of "one person 2 weeks 1500 dollars" Don't even know if it is right.

95069916.png

Wow. I like this formula. I've been looking for one to use. I only have accurate data for one week thus far (I used to weigh infrequently, so I don't really consider data from that time), but the number actually looks okay.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited January 2016
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

95069916.png

Wow. I like this formula. I've been looking for one to use. I only have accurate data for one week thus far (I used to weigh infrequently, so I don't really consider data from that time), but the number actually looks okay.

I have it all from October 2014 till now
    But work with the last 90 days ( this also because your weight loss slows down after you lost some time.) And fluctuation add for women TOM, and stress and other issues you can think of. which make your weight naturally go up and down all the time. This is not fat but natural fluctuations the body goes through daily for each and everyone.

I think i found mine now... i lose 0.2 ounces a day atm because i gained water weight with New Years...but it is slow
    So that indicates that my i eat very close or at maintaining level ...i am not really losing weight anymore.

And when i do lose the coming days for example a whole pound than i know that from New years when i was weighing 144 lbs till now is 19 days so i ate 3500 calories lower than my maintaining level.
    I eat an average of 2000 calories in the last 3 weeks so

3500 divided by 19 days is 184 calories a day short of maintaining which i thought was 2000
    Means when i have to eat approx 2184 calories and i shouldn't lose weight anymore

Now it is always an estimate...when this happens i wouldn't eat 2184 but go to an average of 2100 first and wait it out for weeks again lol

So its a bit playing with it. But when you keep your data you can get a good estimate for sure

95069916.png
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited January 2016
    Options
    btw i go by week averages
    so one day i ate 1800 other day 2200 etc etc

But main goal is 2000 calories a day and about 314 NET exercise calories a day.
    When i exercise less than i eat a bit less. Or the next day etc etc

My weight i look as a range
    Between 144 and 150 lbs ( yes large range but with my medical issues i can easily gain in one night 8 yes even 10 lbs water weight even when i only eat 2200 calories. But give me salt and i explode!)
    No problem btw it comes off fairly quick ;) like in 19 days after New Years hehehehe

95069916.png
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I personally love this calculator. It has all the formula's and averages them out. Also use your own data to get to maintenance. Easing into maintenance with a 75-100 calories added per day makes it better for me with not adding too much water weight all at once. Lots of luck. Nice to be in maintenance with the extra food. :)

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • Murano243
    Murano243 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting thread to me, I never paid much attention to this stuff. I don't worry about Wt.loss because for some reason I very quickly(eg All of 2014 thru Nov. 15 I was up to 245# with a 38 waist) this was due to Med.problems that just had me laid up at home, no exercise, I needed help getting into my vehical (Hummer H3), as a passenger I couldn't drive, couldn't partisipate in my sport (I'm a shooter).I had an operation Nov 10, 2015 at U.N.C. it was high risk I didn't care, why heck I'll be asleep anyway. Nov.24th I was 225#,Dec.12 shot my first IPSC since end of 13,was 200#, now 195# All I need To do is loose the flat tire which I work on daily. My waist is now 36. I want 32, that's what it was when I retired from the Marine Corps in '94 @46