Fitness and Mental Health Issues

Options
I have Borderline Personality Disorder so my moods can get pretty crazy. I was recently doing well and was able to get some healthy habits in place (like going to the gym every day, using my best friend as a source of support and trusting that I could lean on her, making most of my meals at home and switching to vegetarian). Thank goodness I set all this up! I've had some hard days this past week and then took a hit financially yesterday with some bad news. Finances is one of my triggers and so it sent me spiraling down. I'm happy to say, though, that when my alarm went off at 430 this morning to go to the gym, I got up, texted my best friend to go with me, laced up my shoes, and went. I'm still down, but I accomplished something already and that sets up my whole day to be better. Just wanted to put it out there that if anyone else suffers from a mental health challenge and would like to be friends, I'm totally here for that. It's so easy to curl into a ball and hide from the world if you don't have people who are checking in on you. Let's help make each other's days better. :smiley:

Replies

• mamapettit
    mamapettit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Have you ever done a DBT class? It has really helped me along my eating journey and bring mindfulness into my life. Light & health to you....
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression and anxiety. Exercise helps me immensely with both. Way to go getting moving even feeling down!
  • Si1ly
    Si1ly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as Laura and exercise definitely helps me. The gym I go to are now like my second family they know about my health issues and if I'm having a bad day they always make extra time for me.
  • jblon83
    jblon83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Kimberly feel free to add me. I suffer with major depression and PTSD, and anxiety and insomnia. It is a struggle especially since I'm going through it right now. Im under a lot of stress. I almost stopped going to the gym but really it's my only relief. I smile there, I laugh there. It's helps to go to the gym. I am supportive and need support.
  • jblon83
    jblon83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jblon83 wrote: »
    Hey Kimberly feel free to add me. I suffer with major depression and PTSD, and anxiety and insomnia. It is a struggle especially since I'm going through it right now. Im under a lot of stress. I almost stopped going to the gym but really it's my only relief. I smile there, I laugh there. It's helps to go to the gym. I am supportive and need support.

• Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bipolar II here and I feel your pain! Moods up, down round and round, anxiety the works but I do find exercise helps...I just have to fit it with my mood. Right now, I'm not feeling leaving the house so I'm doing circuits and spinning and weights then when I feel better, I go out for runs. I always feel a million times better afterwards though even though sometimes, curling up in a ball is the only thing I want to do
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Anxiety, depression and PTSD here. Exercise is amazing therapy for me. Feel free to add.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hey! I have BPD too, along with major depressive disorder. I'm going to send you a friend request :)
  • KimberleyWilson2
    KimberleyWilson2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have done a little bit of DBT training. There's a great class I want to take at a counseling center I used to go to but it didn't work with my work schedule. I'm keeping an eye out for one that would work for me in the mean time. Thank you all for the kind words and taking the time to reply!! It's so easy to get caught up in our little bubble and forget that others are going through similar experiences. ((hugs))