How to stop comforting yourself during your period?

Options
I'm starting to be better at controlling myself with cravings. But during my period... Suddenly the whole world is mean that something like periods exist. And I want to comfort myself with chocolate and other high calorie stuff, because I pity myself for all the cramps I have. (Okay, this sounds as if I'm a really not-nice person, but that's only during my period). How do you women handel these cravings and meanness of what we have to suffer every month?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will fit some chocolate or whatever I'm craving into my plan, remind myself that having excess weight won't make my periods any easier, and find other ways to comfort/distract myself.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I fit chocolate in too. I like the fiber one brownies and hot chocolate.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I eat bark thins during my period. You can find themore at target.
  • makaryan11
    makaryan11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I change my goal from 2lb to 1.5lb a week, it gives me enough calories to eat, and will change it back once I feel better, this help me a lot, and I don't feel guilty or deprived , I hope this helps.
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat bark thins during my period. You can find themore at target.

What are bark thins?
  • xveer22
    Options
    makaryan11 wrote: »
    I change my goal from 2lb to 1.5lb a week, it gives me enough calories to eat, and will change it back once I feel better, this help me a lot, and I don't feel guilty or deprived , I hope this helps.

That actually sounds as a great idea!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just eat the dang chocolate. Within reason, of course.

Other than that there is hot tea, trashy romance novels, and binge watching your favorite series.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I try to comfort myself with other things and not food. I tend to do things for myself I don't normally do...like paint my nails, take a looong hot bath with bubbles, scented candles and relaxing music. But I would enjoy a chocolate if I'm really craving it like crazy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I take a couple dozen doses of my little friends ibuprofen

Getting fat(ter) won't solve anything. And if it will, I'll eat the damn chocolate. Which usually ain't in the house, anyway. So maybe keep things out of the house if you tend to eat too much of them. Maybe even have them around the rest of the time, just not when it's easier to succumb to temptation
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't get terrible food related cravings, but my nurse practitioner said to take magnesium to lessen period symptoms (like cramps, digestive troubles, and cravings if you have them). I second the above suggestion to use something besides food. A hot bath is more helpful physically.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Use Advil and/or Tylenol to get rid of the cramps (I alternate them). Drink some 'PMS' tea. Get magnesium supplements.

Honestly once I get the cramps taken care of (that's when buying Advil softgels is worth the extra $$), it's really not bad for me, but I don't get cravings with my period.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's your period, not a death in the family. You shouldn't need "comforting." I get horrible cramps and mood swings, and I don't love them either, but that's life. It's not unfair, it's not "mean," it's not suffering, and unless you have one of a few specific and diagnosed medical conditions, it's nothing special. Women have been dealing with cramps as long as there have been women with uteruses.

In short: suck it up, buttercup. Stop with the self-pity, because all you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to eat high volumes of all the crap you want to eat during the rest of the month and manage not to. Take Tylenol for your cramps or live with them like half the rest of the human race does. Have some chocolate if you want chocolate. If you think your period is really that intolerable, see a gynecologist. But I've got to tell you, cramps that can be cured by chocolate are not very bad cramps.
  • xveer22
    Options
    I don't get terrible food related cravings, but my nurse practitioner said to take magnesium to lessen period symptoms (like cramps, digestive troubles, and cravings if you have them). I second the above suggestion to use something besides food. A hot bath is more helpful physically.

When should you start taking the magnesium? Already before your period or during?
  • xveer22
    Options

When should you start taking the magnesium? Already before your period or during?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    It's your period, not a death in the family. You shouldn't need "comforting." I get horrible cramps and mood swings, and I don't love them either, but that's life. It's not unfair, it's not "mean," it's not suffering, and unless you have one of a few specific and diagnosed medical conditions, it's nothing special. Women have been dealing with cramps as long as there have been women with uteruses.

In short: suck it up, buttercup.

LOL... Love it. >:)

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

In short: suck it up, buttercup. Stop with the self-pity, because all you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to eat high volumes of all the crap you want to eat during the rest of the month and manage not to. Take Tylenol for your cramps or live with them like half the rest of the human race does. Have some chocolate if you want chocolate. If you think your period is really that intolerable, see a gynecologist. But I've got to tell you, cramps that can be cured by chocolate are not very bad cramps.

This is the approach I take with myself, because I know I turn into a disproportionately whiny little wimp when I'm on. I can eat the chocolate, but not as much as I want, and I go to the gym first. At the end of the day if it's only a couple of days it's not terrible - a few extra hundred calories can easily be evened out in the grand scheme of things.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Use Advil and/or Tylenol to get rid of the cramps (I alternate them). Drink some 'PMS' tea. Get magnesium supplements.

Honestly once I get the cramps taken care of (that's when buying Advil softgels is worth the extra $$), it's really not bad for me, but I don't get cravings with my period.

That's how I deal with it too. I pretty much go back to my routines once the cramps are gone with the help from Advil. I still eat chocolate and chips like crazily, but I fit them into my daily calorie goal. I also dilute my hot cocoa... like one teaspoon of powder in full cup of water. I like it that way & it takes away the guilt ;)
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Really curious about the magnesium - details please!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    akamran1 wrote: »
    Really curious about the magnesium - details please!

I started the pills after reading about how it can help with cravings (I guess I never really crave sweets because of hormones though so it did nothing for me, but I know it helps some people). Just buy magnesium pills, you can take 1-3 a day. I usually just take 3 a day when my PMS symptoms start.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If your cramps are that bad buy yourself a heating pad. Getting myself one has helped so much with my menstrual cramps and the lower back pain that comes along with them. No need to comfort myself with food if the problem is solved by just applying some heat to it.