Changing my daily calories

Options
mrsb461
mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So MFP gave me 1200 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week. And i havent been using my exercise calories. I'm 5'8 and 172lbs, want to get down to 150lbs.
I've done a lot of research about 1200 calorie intakes and the general trend seems to be that this is not good long term. So I've upped my intake goal to 1500 calories per day. My question is will I still lose weight and is this the right thing to do or should i stick with 1200? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you dialled in a smaller weight loss and got 1500 then you should still have a deficit and get a weight loss.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few weeks and see what happens, You can always drop back down if you need to.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few weeks and see what happens, You can always drop back down if you need to.

^^^This. Data from experience is the best kind. I personally lose weight on 1700 cal/day, but I'm 5'2" and in my 40s. I allow FitBit to increase my daily allotment, but rarely eat it back because there are days when I am studying all day and move very little. I figure the high burn days make up for the others. 42lbs down so far!
  • mrsb461
    mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Have been reading up on basal metabolic rate (BMR) and am horrified that 1200 calories is not enough for my body to function properlly!! According to a BMR calculator I need 1600 for my body to function and lose weight safely. Will give it a try and see how I go!
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am 180lbs. 5'5" and just upped mine to 1620 for 1lb a week loss. 1340 was 1.5, and i was over every day, and seeing red..psyched me out.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    1200 is without excersise. MFP is designed to let you eat your calories back. At 5"2 and 117-115, it tells me 1200 as well.
  • biggccman
    biggccman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Another option is to grow taller. It seems a 45 year old male at 6'7 looking for 2 lbs/week can consume 2600 cals. If adjusting your height is not an option then adjust your intake to a comfort level then modify on a weekly basis until you find what works best for you.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Have been reading up on basal metabolic rate (BMR) and am horrified that 1200 calories is not enough for my body to function properlly!! According to a BMR calculator I need 1600 for my body to function and lose weight safely. Will give it a try and see how I go!

that would be fiction you were reading. The calories you don't eat are supplied from your fat reserves. You do not need to eat your BMR.