0.86 TSH ; good or bad ?

Options
My result for the TSH was as stated . What could this mean ? Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism? Or just normal ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask your doctor.
  • ketokasha
    ketokasha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can't ask right now .
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Still should ask the doctor.
  • TraciHindes
    TraciHindes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    TSH ???
  • ketokasha
    Options
    I will. Thanks ! :) Just wondering what I could learn right now .
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ketokasha wrote: »
    I will. Thanks ! :) Just wondering what I could learn right now .

There's always google
  • ketokasha
    Options
    Thyroid stimulating hormone
  • Razzyirt
    Razzyirt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on what the lab uses as a reference range. DIfferent labs have different ranges. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone. When TSH is low it is indicative of hyperthyroidism. When it is elevated, it is hypothyroidism. You need to speak with your doctor to find of what the reference range is first, but, 0.86 would generally be considered normal, but potentially on the lower end (I'm no doctor by any means :smile: )

Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone (i.e.: synthroid)? Or do you have a thyroid condition?
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Getting medical advice from people on a messageboard probably isn't the best idea. If you can't talk to your doctor right now.. just wait until you can that way you will get the best informed information you can and not jump to any conclusions based on what people on a message board say. JMO.

If you have to have an answer right now google is probably your best bet but even then be aware of what sites you are getting info from.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003684.htm
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Razzyirt wrote: »
    It depends on what the lab uses as a reference range. DIfferent labs have different ranges. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone. When TSH is low it is indicative of hyperthyroidism. When it is elevated, it is hypothyroidism. You need to speak with your doctor to find of what the reference range is first, but, 0.86 would generally be considered normal, but potentially on the lower end (I'm no doctor by any means :smile: )

Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone (i.e.: synthroid)? Or do you have a thyroid condition?

This is not correct
    Hypo=low
    Hyper=high
  • ketokasha
    Options
    Thank you ! Im aware . I was more so curious and had some extra time . I don't take everything to heart. I already suspected it was on the lower end of normal . Just wanted a second opinion . However , I'll take the doctors over all - of course !
  • Razzyirt
    Options
    Yes, hypo is low and hyper is high (when it comes to the actual thyroid hormones - T3 and T4). TSH is the opposite. Which can confuse people.

The lower the TSH reading is indicative of hyperthyroidism (and having too much T3 and T4.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, hypo is low and hyper is high (when it comes to the actual thyroid hormones - T3 and T4). TSH is the opposite. Which can confuse people.

The lower the TSH reading is indicative of hyperthyroidism (and having too much T3 and T4.

Agree!!
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Low tsh only indicates hyperthyroidism when t3 and t4 are elevated. Low tsh and low t3 t4 would be hypothyroidism and could indicate dysfunction in either the pituitary or hypothalamus.
  • Razzyirt
    Options
    No worries! It is always interesting to get some feedback (as long as one does actually see a doctor :wink: )

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. There early is no such thing as a "low" end of normal. It's normal. Or not normal, if outside the reference range,

I've had a TSH so low that the lab couldn't even read it. So, you know when something is not right, lol! Just follow up with your doc and ask all the questions you have. The thyroid can be a tricky little gland!
  • Razzyirt
    Options
    And yes, I know it can be more complicated than stated. But this is an Internet forum, not a good place to get any in depth medical advice. Just posting the very general outline of TSH, when it comes to hyper and hypothyroidism. It seems like a number of people have thyroid issues, so it's nice to have a general understanding of the lab tests and what they are looking for. Of course, only a person's doc can say what is going on (and to fully evaluate, you do need TSH and T3 and T4....and more). But, OP, good luck!
  • HypnoticHayleeLynn
    HypnoticHayleeLynn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is on the "lower" end of normal. I'd ask your doctor to run a free t3 and free t4 test. This will let you know if your thyroid hormones are normal or not. Tsh is a pituitary hormone. The tests I mentioned will give you a look at the bigger picture. Do not wait.. Thyroid issues suck but can be managed!