Kayaking: One of the best overall ARMS/BACK workouts

Options
Be it tandem or solo, it's definitely one of the best activities that I could never get bored of doing. What other OUTDOOR activities do you find FUN and physically rewarding/mentally clearing? Hiking, biking, etc. Anything else you guys/gals do on weekends to "get away" from all of the stress?

Replies

• ghonish
    ghonish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Surfing here in australia and snowboarding back in canada. Also like kayaking. The work put in the gym certainly helps all these types of activities.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Canoeing is fun for our whole family (4 kids). We have a couple 3-seater canoes and take them out frequently in the summer. We also do a lot of family hikes on camping trips. A long bike ride--alone or with my husband--is both physically rewarding and mentally clearing.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing right now. I do more hiking and kayaking in the summer. I have a bike and I want to start using it but I haven't yet.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love kayaking, always so tired after a day of it. Mountain bike riding and surfing are also awesome weekend activities.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Rowing. At least when the river isn't crunchy. :( Biking is fun, but not so much so in the snow & iceither.

Though I row the most (by far), I enjoy kayaking & canoeing, too. So far, I haven't met a form of human-powered boating I don't enjoy . . . though I do need an umbrella drink for maximum enjoyment of those pedal-powered paddle-wheel types.

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I really miss kayaking. I might have to rent a kayak at the lake for a couple hours and see if my back can handle it now.
    My current weekend 'activity' is hiking. Anything that gets me out into nature!
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You can kayak certain portions of the LA River (yeah, there's a river there and it's not very "nature-friendly") but we've kayaked it after a rainy day all the way to the narrows, where for some reason there's a stupid blockade/construction thing that I hope is temporary. You wanna start north of Arroyo, East of the 5 by Dodger stadium. There's an access point there. You have to do this at night and equipped with flash lights, helmet lights, 9mm, etc. because there are tons of bums and heroin and meth addicts running around in parts where rangers and law enforcement have difficult access. I've done this twice with a group of people and it's pretty awesome. I just wish that stupid blockade thing wasn't there because it would lead directly to the Pacific Ocean (beach in LB).