Macros v.s. Calories?

Replies

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2016
    glassyo wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    For weight loss/maintenance, calories are more important.

For satiety/fitness goals/maintaining muscle, macros and calories are equally important. Remember that all the four macros contain calories (carbs and proteins = 4kcal/g, alcohol = 7kcal/g, fat = 9kcal/g).

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around alcohol being a macro.

It's a weird grey area. Alcohol is *technically* a macronutrient because it provides calories, but is different from fats, carbohydrates and protein because your body doesn't need alcohol the way it needs fats, proteins and carbohydrates.

Technically we don't need carbs to survive either protein and fat will store as glycogen and be used as energy.

Should a Runner Drink Alcohol? Evaluating the research on the Health, Training and Performance Effects
    Written by Emily Brown - Get free updates here

Alcohol is widely consumed by a large part of the world’s population, and the literature on the topic shows that alcohol is also consumed by a significant number of athletes ranging across all sports.
    In endurance sports, alcohol is a very common component of post-event celebrations as evidenced by post-race beer tents, free drink vouchers on bib numbers, or casual meetings at a local bar or restaurant following an event.
    I’ve been in the sport for awhile and I know a great deal of runners, myself included, who enjoy their beer or wine after a hard effort out on the roads or on the track. It signifies a reward for all of the training you’ve done or how well you raced and is also an opportunity to socialize with other runners off the race course.
    As common as alcohol consumption is, there is little research and education out there on how alcohol may affect endurance performance and recovery.
    While there are some health benefits that may be associated with moderate alcohol consumption, there are other factors related to alcohol that runners should keep in mind the next time they reach for a cold one.
    The nutritive value of alcohol
    Alcohol is not an essential part of the diet, however, at seven calories per gram, its energy contribution is significant, but not in the beneficial way that carbohydrates, protein and fat energy is utilized.
    Alcohol is metabolized in the body as fat. The by-products of alcohol metabolism are converted to fatty acids, which are stored in the liver and sent to the bloodstream. The more alcohol you drink, the more you raise the level of lipids in your blood, which is a risk factor for heart disease (discussed later).
    A significant factor for runners who drink alcohol moderately or regularly is the caloric content of alcohol:
    12 oz. of beer (~150 calories)
    4 oz. of wine (~100 calories)
    1.25 oz. of liquor (~100 calories)
    Mixing liquor with sugar sweetened beverages and other types of mixers add significantly to the caloric content of the drink.
    The nutritional effects of drinking alcohol
    Alcohol inhibits the normal metabolism of vitamins, minerals, and the main energy substrates.
    It does this by acting as an “anti-nutrient” — inhibiting the conversion of B vitamins to their active co-enzymes involved in generating energy from carbohydrates, protein and fat.
    Furthermore, alcohol can irritate the gastrointestinal tract and cause the malabsorption of nutrients, which may cause a cycle of deficiency with regular consumption unless additional nutrients are consumed concurrently because in order to repair damage and counteract the malabsorption, the nutrient requirements increase.
    Lastly, alcohol consumption can impair liver function and thus interfere with the normal metabolism and storage of nutrients.
    Mineral depletion is also a concern. Alcohol is a diuretic that increases the urinary excretion of calcium and magnesium. We already know that calcium is essential for maintain adequate bone health and preventing stress fractures and osteoporosis.
    Magnesium is important because it is a co-factor for many of the enzymes involved in transferring phosphate groups to produce ATP (energy). Increased magnesium excretion in sweat can result in an increase in muscle cramps, weakness, and cardiac arrhythmias (note this is usual only an issue in those who regularly overconsume alcohol).
    Alcohol and cardiovascular health
    Benefits of alcohol consumption on cardiovascular health
    A great deal of observational studies suggest that total mortality, or risk of death, may be reduced in individuals who consume one or two alcoholic drinks per day.
    Choices may include red wine and dark beer that contain certain antioxidants called polyphenols, which are thought to be protective against cancer.
    Moderate amounts of alcohol can also raise HDL cholesterol, which is the good cholesterol that helps protect against heart disease.
    Furthermore, alcohol may influence have an influence on activating the anti-thrombotic mechanism, which reduces the development of dangerous blood clots.
    The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends no more than one drink per day for women and two drinks for men to reap the health benefits of alcohol without risking the negative health effects associated with heavier drinking.
    In fact, alcohol’s association with mortality exists on a J-shaped curve, meaning that mortality increases along the consumption of 3 or more drinks per day.
    Harmful effects of alcohol consumption on cardiovascular health
    Too much alcohol consumed regularly can increase your risk of heart disease by raising your blood pressure and blood lipids to harmful levels.
    It can also increase risk of stroke, liver damage, and cancers of the mouth, esophagus, stomach, liver, breast and colon.
    Effect of alcohol on recovery
    Consuming alcohol too soon after a hard training session or race can impede your recovery because it can contribute to and exacerbate dehydration, interfere with glycogen synthesis, and impair healing.
    As mentioned earlier, alcohol is a diuretic, so it causes your body to lose more fluid than it takes in when drinking it without adequate non-alcoholic fluids. The resulting dehydration can leave you feeling tired, sick, and sore the next day.
    Alcohol may also interfere with glycogen synthesis, since alcohol’s effect on the liver dramatically inhibits the resynthesis of glycogen stores and may also impair muscle glycogen storage.
    Some research has shown that it takes nearly twice as long to replace glycogen stores in athletes who have consumed alcoholcompared to those who have not.

However, this may also be due to the displacement of carbohydrate intake in favor of alcohol intake. Contrary to popular belief, beer and wine are not significant sources of carbohydrates and contribute very little to carbohydrate reloading following exercise.
    Injury repair
    Finally alcohol may impair healing from muscle soreness or acute injury. This is because alcohol is a blood vessel dilator.
    With injury or soreness and athlete will usually ice the affected area to constrict the blood vessels and reduce swelling and/or bleeding.
    Alcohol does the opposite of this, which impairs healing and increases the amount of time an injury may take to heal.
    Performance issues for athletes who drink alcohol
    The following is a chart summarizing the findings:
    Effect Consequence
    Increased risk of hypoglycemia In prolonged exercise, hypoglycemia is more likely because alcohol suppresses liver gluconeogenesis
    Increased heat loss Hypoglycemia results in impairment of temperature regulation, particularly in cold environments
    Reduced performance in middle- and long-distance running As alcohol intake increases, performance deficits are seen in middle- and long-distance events
    Reduced vertical jump height and sprint performance A 6 percent reduction in vertical jump height and a 10 percent reduction in 80 m sprint performance
    Adverse effect on concentration Central nervous system effect
    Adverse effect on visual perception Central nervous system effect
    Adverse effect on reaction time Central nervous system effect
    Adverse effect on coordination Central nervous system effect
    Increased risk of dehydration Alcohol has a diuretic effect
    Poor post-exercise glycogen recovery Alcohol impairs carbohydrate status of the liver and may also impair muscle glycogen storage
    Poor post-exercise recovery Alcohol impairs the repair of injured tissues
    In summary
    Alcohol is widely consumed by a large number of athletes just as it is in the general population.
    Although athletes have special concerns regarding alcohol, including its effect on recovery from exercise and injury, moderate alcohol consumption (1-2) will have a less negative effect than heavier drinking (three or more).
    If you choose to drink alcohol, take special care to meet your recovery needs with adequate carbohydrates and fluids first as early as possible, and, as always, drink responsibly and plan for a safe ride home.
    References
    Shirreffs SM, Maughan RJ. The effect of alcohol on athletic performance. Curr Sprt Med Rep 2006, 5:192-196.
    Burke LM, Collier GR, Broad EM, et al. Effect of alcohol intake on muscle glycogen storage after prolonged exercise. J Apple Physiol 2003, 95:983-990.
    Clarkson PM, Reichsman F. The effect of ethanol on exercise-induced muscle damage. J Stud Alcohol 1990, 51:19-23.
    Benardot, Dan. Advanced Sports Nutrition, 2nd ed. Human Kinetics, 2012.

STOP FEEDING PEOPLE *kitten* LIES! YOU NEED CARBS TO SURVIVE AND GIVE US ENERGY. EVERY SIGLE CELL IN OUR BODIES RUN OFF OF GLUCOSE. PUSING YOUR BODY WITHOUT CARBS MAKES IT GO INTO ILL STATE AND WILL ELIMINATE YOUR ENERGY AND MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE *kitten*. STOP FEEDING PEOPLE *kitten* LIES THAT CARBS ARE BAD AND THAT YOU CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT THEM.
  • GDX65
    GDX65 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi, found this thread as I was looking for the word "sugar". Why My Fitness Pal counts Sugar as a macronutrient after one has configured the Goals. You see it under Nutrients section.

Sugar, as all refined carbs should be ZERO! Sugar down not belong to the human body as all refined carbs. Sugar we brought to Europe from Asia few centuries ago(I think 510BC, just google it)....before they used plant derived sweeteners and honey. Stevia in South America.
    For example, I used to drink my espressos (many of them during the day) with sugar. I switched to stevia (hard to find pure and organic) for a while (you get used to it) then I just stopped and drink it black. Now is fine. It is just a matter of reprogramming the brain from unconsciously induced bad diet due to modern lifestyle, since our childhood.

Regarding macro count and calories just "do not drink your calories". Try to take calories from the main macros and eat good carbs you will have much less cravings as well. Learn to drink still water only (no bubbles). I drink wine now and then and it goes into my macro count.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    I think they're both really important. Calories for weight loss and macros for your health. I like to keep track specifically of my sodium intake because heart problems and high blood pressure run in my family.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    GDX65 wrote: »
    Hi, found this thread as I was looking for the word "sugar". Why My Fitness Pal counts Sugar as a macronutrient after one has configured the Goals. You see it under Nutrients section.

Sugar, as all refined carbs should be ZERO! Sugar down not belong to the human body as all refined carbs. Sugar we brought to Europe from Asia few centuries ago(I think 510BC, just google it)....before they used plant derived sweeteners and honey. Stevia in South America.
    For example, I used to drink my espressos (many of them during the day) with sugar. I switched to stevia (hard to find pure and organic) for a while (you get used to it) then I just stopped and drink it black. Now is fine. It is just a matter of reprogramming the brain from unconsciously induced bad diet due to modern lifestyle, since our childhood.

Regarding macro count and calories just "do not drink your calories". Try to take calories from the main macros and eat good carbs you will have much less cravings as well. Learn to drink still water only (no bubbles). I drink wine now and then and it goes into my macro count.

OP should disregard this post for the most part. Refined sugar is perfectly fine in moderation in a healthy diet. While cutting back may be a good idea, total elimination is a total scare tactic not based on much.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

OP should disregard this post for the most part. Refined sugar is perfectly fine in moderation in a healthy diet. While cutting back may be a good idea, total elimination is a total scare tactic not based on much.

Agreed. We don't need more hyperbole and scaremongering.
  • GDX65

Hi!! Well did not want to scare anyone...and partly agree. By keep the sugar low as rule of thumb it allows you to get sugar now and then or in some of your meals. Yeah have your favorite cupcake now and then. Then the daily total sugar count is not that high. I just see too many people trying to keep a diet but cannot get rid of high intake of sugar.....or keep drinking carbonated drinks with sugar....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Hi!! Well did not want to scare anyone...and partly agree. By keep the sugar low as rule of thumb it allows you to get sugar now and then or in some of your meals. Yeah have your favorite cupcake now and then. Then the daily total sugar count is not that high. I just see too many people trying to keep a diet but cannot get rid of high intake of sugar.....or keep drinking carbonated drinks with sugar....

You said refined sugar should be zero, but you "partly agree" that refined sugar is fine in moderation? Color me confused.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

The MFP sugar count (which is not a macronutrient) includes all sugar, including from vegetables, fruit, dairy, sweet potatoes, etc. It most certainly should not be zero or close.
  • GDX65

You said refined sugar should be zero, but you "partly agree" that refined sugar is fine in moderation? Color me confused.
    Hi, my comment was for those that cannot stay away from refined sugars....as for example, some people that are struggling with that. I see this problem on subjects on diet here in Norway for example. They just cannot stay away from refined sugars. If they can get their treat (small treat) then are able to keep a quite good nutrition regime.
    Otherwise my point is very fixed on stay away from refined sugars AND carbs. They just do not belong to humans as all other modified food from the "modern food industry ".
  • GDX65
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The MFP sugar count (which is not a macronutrient) includes all sugar, including from vegetables, fruit, dairy, sweet potatoes, etc. It most certainly should not be zero or close.
    Ok thanks I now get it where that coins comes from.
  • GreenPharmD
    GreenPharmD Posts: 30 Member
    Minimize refined sugar.
    Eat fruits, vegetables, etc. with naturally occurring sugar.
    If you use additives, honey, maple syrup, in moderation. Hell no to artificial sweeteners. Just my opinion though.

Re: Alcohol
    I love to drink. I generally would drink too much....if I drank, like I used to, and didn't see the results of removing it ifrom my diet.
    I thought my body could just process alcohol like any other food, so if it fit within my calorie budget, I could spend a summer day outside, eat nothing and down two bottles of hard cider-wine, right? Boom, 1200 calories,no "added" sugar....... yeah not so much. Did that for a few embarrassing month...reluctantly at the time, I stopped alcohol entirely on August 7th, 2015. I didn't have a single drink for 2 months. I lost 10 pounds by October 7th and weighed the lowest I've ever weighed in my life. I went from a size 4 down to size 0 in two months and found it was almost entirely because my waist size was reduced so dramatically. Beer gut? Nahh I had Cider Gut.

I have a glass of wine or mixed drink here and there now, in social situations, but I've maintained my weight, at the least, 10 pounds lower than I had been averaging for 4+ years while consuming alcohol regularly. It's not the devil. It just can be for those of us who drink a whole freaking lot of it when we do!
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Calories for weight loss and macros for body composition. One lowers the number on the scale and the other makes you look good in the mirror
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Calories for weight loss and macros for body composition. One lowers the number on the scale and the other makes you look good in the mirror
    I more or less agree but, if I just sit on my couch, no macro combination in the world is going to make me look good in the mirror. ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities.png
    :/ Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter. Overall calories matter. Time your meals out however works for you.
    Meal timing matters, just not as important as calories, macros and micros. The point of the chart is to illustrate that unless you have the base three down, focusing on meal timing is futile. Meal timing is for people who have the foundation locked down...
  • munstermash7
    munstermash7 Posts: 20 Member
    I make sure i hit my protein number and then my fats, good fats. I worry less about carbs but i do notice if they creep up my weight will creep up as well. Usually they creep up because i missed my protein goal.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

You do realize sugar cane is a plant, right?
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Is counting calories effective enough? Or do all my macros take a toll?

Your overall calorie intake is the most foundational principle of your entire diet. Without a calorie surplus, you aren’t going to gain any significant muscle, and without a calorie deficit, you aren’t going to lose any significant fat.

Your total daily calorie intake will determine whether you gain weight or lose weight, and your macronutrient intake (the total daily grams of protein, carbohydrates and fats) will influence what type of body weight is gained or lost, whether it be muscle or fat.

Proteins contain 4 calories per gram, fats contain 9 calories per gram, and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram.

My general recommendation to optimize body composition is as follows:

Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight daily

Fats: 25-30% of total calories for muscle gain, and 15-20% of total calories for fat loss

Carbohydrates: Whatever calories are left over after protein/fat is calculated.

You certainly don’t need to hit these numbers with exact precision every day, but just try to come reasonably close if you’re serious about achieving the very best results.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    :/ Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter. Overall calories matter. Time your meals out however works for you.
    Meal timing matters, just not as important as calories, macros and micros. The point of the chart is to illustrate that unless you have the base three down, focusing on meal timing is futile. Meal timing is for people who have the foundation locked down...

Agreed.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Maybe this goes in line with what you're saying, but I think meal timing starts to have relevance when you're very lean and looking to get leaner, where you need every possible edge. I'd submit that for the average Joe/Jane with average/above average bodyfat, any benefits from meal timing/frequency are so small as to be insignificant in the big picture.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Maybe this goes in line with what you're saying, but I think meal timing starts to have relevance when you're very lean and looking to get leaner, where you need every possible edge. I'd submit that for the average Joe/Jane with average/above average bodyfat, any benefits from meal timing/frequency are so small as to be insignificant in the big picture.
    Absolutely...