Picking strawberry seeds OFF the berries?

Options
Tell me, someone, PLEASE.....

Is there ANY way to eat strawberry shortcake withOUT picking the seeds off the berries???
( NO, I'm not seriously going to do it- I'm not THAT desperate)

Have diverticulosis and can't eat berries with seeds........missing my beloved strawberries.

Just a-wishin' and a-hopin'........maybe someone's got an answer?

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pick them off...you'd be there all day! Maybe get a paring knife and cut it like you're peeling an apple?

Sorry!!
  • enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    Why don't you just cut off the outside like you would peel an apple?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Well, you COULD puree and strain then make a strawberry sauce. Then you could have all of the delicious flavors without the seeds.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe you could get a really small pearing knife and cut-off the outside of the berries and just eat the centers. Seems like a lot of waste but if you're desperate..............
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would peel them too. You could also run them under water and rub them with your hands, most of the seeds come off that way for me, but your strawberries might get a bit mushy!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You could try quickly putting one in boiling water and then in ice water and see if the skin comes off. It works that way with tomatoes, but I've never done that with a strawberry.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Mash them up through a piece of ultra fine cheese cloth
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I might suggest a food mill. The better ones will remove the seeds for you. Of course it will be more of a mashed strawberry, but the flavor will be there for you :-)
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is cutting the top layer with a knife, kind of like you were cutting apple skin off of an apple. I experienced an episode of Diverticulitis a couple years ago. The worst pain I have ever been in...that includes childbirth! I panic a little every time I get a twinge of any kind of pain in that area. At first it started out like period pains, but as the night went on...oh boy, it turned into something a lot worse! Sometimes I'll eat something that has nuts in it and today I ate strawberries, not thinking about it until afterwards. Im usually pretty careful though. I came across this article that I found interesting -

http://diverticulitisdiet.org/foods-to-avoid-with-diverticulitis.html