Shakeology Replacement?

Options
Hi all! Not sure if this has already been asked, but i was wondering if anyone has had any luck replacing shakeology with whey protein (would that be the same, or at least somewhat similar?). I've found a bunch of amazing-sounding shakeology recipes, but i can't justify the cost knowing that money is better off being thrown at my student loans. My boyfriend always keeps his whey protein stocked in the house, so I'm hoping this may be a feasible alternative.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ovaltine. I'm not kidding. In fact, you will probably get better nutrition. Don't wast you money on scams.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to replace it just as a protein shake, or as a meal replacement shake? There's nothing magical in Shakeology, despite what their slick advertising would have you believe. The protein isn't even that high and they use pea and rice protein, which is inferior to using straight whey or casein. The whole "superfoods" thing is a bunch of marketing woo, there is no such thing as "superfoods".

If you're just looking for a shake to boost your protein intake, a whey shake would actually be far better than Shakeology. Better quality protein and a lot more of it. If you're looking for a meal replacement, mix in a banana, some nuts, fruit or whatever with the whey protein (you can find good recipes all over the internet).

So basically, IMO, just about anything is a better replacement for Shakeology. And you don't have to deal with the ridiculous prices and pushy, annoying "coaches" (aka salespeople).
  • doodledoo92
    doodledoo92 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm having a rough time getting to my daily protein goal, so I need to amp that up. I'm hoping that I could take the shakeology recipes I've found and throw a scoop of whey into the shake rather than the shakeology mix. I just don't want to waste his whey if it sucks :p

I'll definitely try the ovaltine!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ovaltine was more or less a joke. Technically you would get as much out of it but it not really a good thing to drink. If you think you need more protein, find a protein shake you like at your local supermarket. You don't have to pay a fortune for it. I'm sure some other folks can give you specific brands to check out.

I personally do not bother with it. I occasionally use a meal replacement when I travel for my long runs (I like Myoplex because it tastes good and is convenient - no other reason).
  • doodledoo92
    Options
    Oh damn. I love me some ovaltine, haha
  • doodledoo92
    Options
    Thanks to you both, though. I'm super new to all this so I appreciate the input! There's just so much information out there
  • tams311
    tams311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know. With so many different types of protein powders out there, it can be super confusing. My company sells organic soy protein shakes but I've read so many conflicting papers on soy. I've been using the whey powder from Walmart and while it's fine, there seems to be a lot of fillers in the ingredients. What to do?
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Here's what you do and you will get a *kitten* load more nutrirents: Get your self some grass fed whey protein, I like whey factors or kaizen naturals, get your self some raw almond butter, almond milk, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, some cocoa powder, few ice cubes blend. This is what I do for shakes most days and it doesn't eat away at my wallet like your shakeology does.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've been using Designer Protein Lite. Not super high protein, 10g., but also has 4g fiber, and a bunch of vitamins. The flavor is vanilla cupcake and it's only 60 calores a scoop, added to my fruit/spinach/yogurt smoothie every morning. Only $8 for the 16 scoop tub at Target.
    You might also look into meal replacement shake powders for protein, fiber, and vitamins. Kroger has their own brand that tastes ok for 110 calories.
  • ratandrea
    ratandrea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Young Living's protein mix b/c it has goat whey which is far superior to cow whey (they use this too and also hemp, pea, and egg albumin proteins), plus I like all of the B-vitamins, the amino acids, the enzymes and probiotics. I am also a distributor, so it makes sense for me b/c I get a percentage back. Yea, it's pricier than a lot of proteins (but cheaper and better than Shakeology), but of course it's a multi-level marketing company, and with that comes support from your upline and the possibility of establishing a downline. Hey, I'm honest about it unlike a lot of folks involved with MLMs. I really got involved in Young Living for the essential oils, and it just so happens that I enjoy their other products as well. I try to do as much research as I can on ingredients, bioavailability, and all of that. It can me overwhelming at times for sure.
  • ratandrea
    ratandrea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out the Facebook page of Gaylynn's Garden's. Good info. there.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I just use Bob's Red Mill whey protein concentrate. Nothing in it but whey and a little sunflower lecithin (a fat-based molecule isolate from sunflowers that helps the powdered whey dissolve better). I think it was developed for baking, but it works fine in my smoothies. No sugar or flavor other than a vague, reminds-me-of-milk taste, though, so you'll have to add what you want for flavor--I can't imagine drinking it just with water. I don't mind it just in milk--just tastes a little like milk from instant dried milk powder to me--but as I said I bake with it or make smoothies with it, so there's always plenty of other ingredients for flavor. At the time I bought it, I thought it seemed cheaper than buying a protein powder marketed for nutritional purposes, but I didn't do a careful price comparison. I bought four 12-oz packages, so three pounds total, for around $50 I think on Amazon. That's 68 servings at 80 calories and 15 grams of protein each, so around 5 cents per gram of protein.

I tend to think of protein smoothies not so much as a way to work extra protein into my diet (I think there are much easier ways to do that) as a way to have something tasty that contributes to my protein, fiber, and micronutrient needs. -- I'm not sure if that's clear: I mean, for me I wouldn't see protein smoothies as the solution to a lack of protein in my diet -- I can get a lot more protein impact from the same number of calories in the form of a meal with meat, poultry, fish, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and/or legumes as a central ingredient. But if I want to have something delicious with fruit for breakfast, a snack, a small post-workout meal, or whatever, having a smoothie with whey powder is a great way to ensure that those calories are making a reasonable contribution to my overall protein needs.

When I want to go for chocolate instead of fruit as the predominant flavor, I just dump in some plain (unsweetened) cocoa (the kind you use for baking). For me, whatever fruit I am using (usually berries and/or banana) provides enough sweetness. I almost always put banana and/or avocado in, to get a thick texture like a milkshake.

I hope you find something that works for you.
  • DianaDrobnica
    DianaDrobnica Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Ideal Shake and the bars, too. Love them. Much cheaper than Shakeology. You can only get them online. They have good reviews. I know alot of people started with Shakeology and switched.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm having a rough time getting to my daily protein goal, so I need to amp that up. I'm hoping that I could take the shakeology recipes I've found and throw a scoop of whey into the shake rather than the shakeology mix. I just don't want to waste his whey if it sucks :p

I'll definitely try the ovaltine!

Agree completely that shakeology is unnecessary. I use quest or dymatize whey isolate mainly because I want a protein powder that is mainly protein. There is a lot of carbs in shakeology and adding the fruit and everything else for the yummy shake, makes it not really that helpful in increasing protein specifically.

You can easily replace the shakeology in the recipes for a protein of a different brand. I think the dymatize chocolate fudge is better anyway or the quest one tastes like a milkshake.

I recommend protein powder, but look on the back at the macros and make sure you are getting a lot of protein for those calories and not much else.

Best of luck!

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I use Soylent. The flesh of your fellow man will provide the necessary sustenance!
    Www.soylent.com
  • aconks33
    aconks33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had been drinking shakeology on and off for the last year. It's just too expensive and I finally found a great replacement for a fraction of the cost- it's called Orgain protein powder. It's organic and vegan. No grit. Tastes awesome and can get it for about $27 on Amazon prime
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I had been drinking shakeology on and off for the last year. It's just too expensive and I finally found a great replacement for a fraction of the cost- it's called Orgain protein powder. It's organic and vegan. No grit. Tastes awesome and can get it for about $27 on Amazon prime
    Have you tried the chocolate flavor? I was wondering if its good?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I don't think shakeology should be slammed for the cost~!! A baker was once asked whats the difference between the $1 bread and the $2 bread the baker replied "nothing but some people feel better buying the $2 bread and who am I to stop them"
  • doodledoo92
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Michael, I'm not slamming for the cost, necessarily. I just have whey protein at home already and was hoping someone had previously experimented to find if a scoop of chocolate whey, for instance, could replace a scoop of chocolate shakeology in terms of taste and texture. Would rather use what I already buy than go out and buy new things :)
  • doodledoo92
    Options
    JJordon wrote: »
    I use Soylent. The flesh of your fellow man will provide the necessary sustenance!
    Www.soylent.com

+1