What am I going wrong?

Options
For the first two weeks I was strict and stuck to my calorie goal of 1200 and worked out 5 days a week and in the two weeks only lost 2.6lb. (I have another 22lb to lose).

This week I was a bit naughty but overall for the week my calorie intake was under but I haven't lost any weight:

Sunday calories remaining 24
Monday calories remaining 411
Tuesday calories remaining 367
Wednesday calories remaining 639
Thursday calories remaining 382
Friday calories remaining 13
Saturday calories remaining -788

Overall for the week calories remaining 1,048.

What am I doing wrong? I do also measure body fat and this week lost 0.4% but my main focus is weight loss.

Thank you.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ouh8y3lbz91n.jpeg
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    kazitykaz wrote: »
    For the first two weeks I was strict and stuck to my calorie goal of 1200 and worked out 5 days a week and in the two weeks only lost 2.6lb. (I have another 22lb to lose).

This week I was a bit naughty but overall for the week my calorie intake was under but I haven't lost any weight:

Sunday calories remaining 24
    Monday calories remaining 411
    Tuesday calories remaining 367
    Wednesday calories remaining 639
    Thursday calories remaining 382
    Friday calories remaining 13
    Saturday calories remaining -788

Overall for the week calories remaining 1,048.

What am I doing wrong? I do also measure body fat and this week lost 0.4% but my main focus is weight loss.

Thank you.

2.6lbs is a great loss in 2 weeks!!!! Well done :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with your rate of loss just your expectation of how fast weight loss should be. 0.5lb to 1lb a week is good at your size (Only 22lbs to lose).

3500 calories under would give you a 1lb loss. Just keep doing what you are doing, it is working very well.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You don't have a lot of weight to lose, weight loss is going to lower and slower than someone with a lot of weight to lose or those people we see on weight loss tv shows. In addition if you are already in the healthy weight range for your height..think lower and slower weight loss even more.

Many reasons for not losing weight in the second week, but many are probably not something you are doing wrong, but are in fact just related to normal bodily functions. Hormones, rehydration, fluid retention etc etc.

• kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments :). It was just so disheartening to get on the scales this morning and have no weight loss. Should just look at the positive that I did lose body fat and total of 1 inch. Glad I measure those each week too. I must remember "slow and steady wins the race". I just don't want to be going this forever which it seems like it will be lol.
  • jolb30
    jolb30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost 4- 5 in two weeks (but went up in that time too!) and have 20 more to lose. I'm in the "healthy" BMI range but I most definitely look overweight.
    I've MFP set to lose 1.5lb a week. I just can't bring myself to lower it to 1lb!
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jolb30 wrote: »
    I've MFP set to lose 1.5lb a week. I just can't bring myself to lower it to 1lb!

I'm not a big fan of the "lose ___ pounds each week" thing. Sometimes I'm down 1 lb, sometimes it's 2. I think it probably averages around 1.5 a week long term, but if you play too much by the weekly rulebook you may be frustrating yourself.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have just started using trendweight.com based on the advice of so many folks on here. I love it!. I have only been tracking daily for 2 weeks so very early days yet for accurate nunbers. Still, on Friday, I logged a 0.8 lb gain. When I looked at it on trendweight.com, it said I was still trending a loss -of 0.2lbs. Made me feel so much better! Today, sure enough, I dropped 0.4lbs and trendweight.com shows another 0.2lb loss.

It seems so much more realistic than the typical ups an downs of a scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You lost 2.6lbs in 3 weeks. Why do you think there's anything wrong?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What are you doing wrong?

Not being patient
    Unrealistic expectations
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am missing the issue. You had an amazing weight loss in only 2 weeks. I guess what you are doing wrong is having completely unrealistic expectations.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thank you.

Why? Not to be rude, but I'll never undrestand why a silly number on a scale is more important than body fat or measurements. I'm guessing your goal, like most, is to be smaller and leaner - to fit into smaller clothes, and feel like you look better. In that case, body fat and clothing size matters a lot more than what the scale says.

I'm not saying you shouldn't want to lose weight, because weight loss will certainly be part of reaching your goals, but I'm puzzled when you say you care more about weight loss than fat loss. .4% fat loss in one week is great.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why is no one commenting on how many calories she is UNDER on many days?

I'm assuming you are talking about your daily calorie goal, referring to the bottom of the MFP data that says how many calories you have remaining to meet your goal. Going that far under is dangerous.
  • kazitykaz
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

I'm assuming you are talking about your daily calorie goal, referring to the bottom of the MFP data that says how many calories you have remaining to meet your goal. Going that far under is dangerous.

Hello, it's only under because I don't eat back my exercise calories.
  • mrsb461
    mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!! From my own research eating 1200 calorie or less isn't healthy. What I recommend is to use the NHS BMI calculator and it tells you how many calories you should eat to lose weight healthily without putting your body in danger. I was on 1200 calories for about a month and I was so tired, always cold, weak and lacked basic nutrients and vitamins. I now have increased my daily goal to 1660 as advised on NHS website. Good luck with your journey x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly!! From my own research eating 1200 calorie or less isn't healthy. What I recommend is to use the NHS BMI calculator and it tells you how many calories you should eat to lose weight healthily without putting your body in danger. I was on 1200 calories for about a month and I was so tired, always cold, weak and lacked basic nutrients and vitamins. I now have increased my daily goal to 1660 as advised on NHS website. Good luck with your journey x

OPs rate of loss suggests that either food is being underestimated or exercise over estimated.
  • kazitykaz
    Options

I usually eat 1200 calories and that is enough for me when I manage it properly. Sometimes I force myself to eat to get up to the 1200. Since starting 3 weeks ago I've only been over twice. I don't eat back my exercise calories. If I did eat more my progress would be even slower and I already don't like how slow it is.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I usually eat 1200 calories and that is enough for me when I manage it properly. Sometimes I force myself to eat to get up to the 1200. Since starting 3 weeks ago I've only been over twice. I don't eat back my exercise calories. If I did eat more my progress would be even slower and I already don't like how slow it is.

Are you sure you're eating 1200 calories? Are you guesstimating your portions or are you using a food scale to measure/weigh all food and drinks?

• kazitykaz
    Options

Are you sure you're eating 1200 calories? Are you guesstimating your portions or are you using a food scale to measure/weigh all food and drinks?

Use scales for pretty much everything.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options

THIS!
  • kazitykaz
    Options

OPs rate of loss suggests that either food is being underestimated or exercise over estimated.

For my exercise I use my windows band so its based on my heart rate. For food I weigh everything. I did guess Fridays dinner as I went to my mums for tea.