Ketogenic diet and low calories!

Options
Any comments on my food intake and our better things to eat would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• deanaferrari
    deanaferrari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know what diet you're following but mine is more about removing (altogether) sugar and most carbs from my diet (medically-monitored). I've managed to lose 16 pounds since I started 3.5 weeks ago. It hasn't always been easy, but I've been amazed that I feel so energized and tingly since I went into ketosis. Good luck to you. Tip: If you start feeling hungry even though you just ate, etc., try putting a quarter teaspoon of salt in a half cup of water and drink it down. Also, the water is super important for moving the ketones so I've been drinking 2 to 3 2-Liter bottles of water a day. It's helped keep the weightloss steady and my appetite under control.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how tall you are or how much you are wanting to lose ..but you def. need to eat a bit more ...pinterest.com has some awesome keto or low carb high fat recipes along with ruled.me ...wishing you the best
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You appear to be severely under-eating. This week you had a string of three days... 1000 one day, 500 the next, and 654 the third.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. Specify....
  • Kuoniyz
    Kuoniyz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I have not been eating much but I am not starving. Just don't feel hungry and when I do I eat a small snack. Ball peter, pickles, cheese.

I know the 600 and 800 days were low but before I started I did eat quite a bit.

I am 5'11 210lbs. Goal weight is 175-183.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Many on the ketogenic diet find they aren't as hungry eating this way, but I agree that your calories seem too low. While it is helpful to eating at fasting level calories for a few days to get yourself into ketosis, maintaining that isn't a good idea in the long run. It probably isn't needed either.

Many of us find a ketogenic diet helps us to lose weight with more ease. I am a 5'8" middle aged woman who was eating 1500kcal per day, not exercising, and I was losing 2-3lbs per week for about 4 months for a 40lb loss. You are much taller than I am and can eat more.

You might want to post your question in the Low Carber Daily subgroup. There are many keto'ers over there and they are very helpful. There is also a keto group too. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck.
  • Kuoniyz
    Options
    Thank you! Will def do that. Very low carbs and calories so I can kick start it.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Kuoniyz wrote: »
    Thank you! Will def do that. Very low carbs and calories so I can kick start it.

After three or so days of 1000kcal or lower, I bet you are well into ketosis already. :). Try keto stix if you want to check.
  • Kuoniyz
    Options
    What are Keto-stixs?
  • Kuoniyz
    Options
    Ordered :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Ordered :)

LOL sorry about that. Glad you found them okay.

They are often behind the counter at a pharmacy too.

Others use a breath test or the blood monitor but they are much more pricey.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets aren't meant to be low calorie - low carb yes, but not low calorie. You must fuel your body! When you take out the carbs you must replace them with fats and proteins.
  • MegWaymire
    MegWaymire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets and calorie intake still go hand in hand. (Also, you can get ketone test strips by the diabetic supplies in the pharmacy section of any store.)

At the end of the day, thermodynamics wins. You won't lose weight if you consume more calories than you burn. Bottom line.

Anyway...if you're looking for snacks, the following things are great:
    - cottage cheese (try throwing some diced fresh tomatoes or cucumbers in for different texture)
    - deviled eggs (an amazing keto friendly food)
    - pickles
    - pork rinds
    - pepperoni slices
  • Kuoniyz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You are right I am in Ketosis ... received the largest trace one can. In addition I seem to have bad breath which is the result of this fun life style!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    You are right I am in Ketosis ... received the largest trace one can. In addition I seem to have bad breath which is the result of this fun life style!

Those who experience bad breath often find that it passes. It is sometimes a sign of high protein intake in some.
  • henrydi1
    henrydi1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on the diet as well, my son actually was on the diet. He lost over 60lbs. That prompt me to start, it is a very difficult diet. If you have the will power the results will be amazing.

I've been on the diet a little over 2 weeks I've lost 12 pounds. That was without working out. I will be starting back at the gym soon I have a knee injury.

I'm very strict have no more than 18 carbs a day and that is rare. I normally stay below 10 though it is a very strict and extreme I do like it. I no what I can have and what I can't the food is very limited which is very difficult. I do like that I don't consume sugar, I was completely out of control...
  • Kuoniyz
    Options
    Thank you for the input I will stay the course!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are a guy and continue to eat that level of calories, you can be assured that a good amount of your loss will come from muscle.

Also, keto is a form of LCHF, so you will need to significantly increase your fat intake, and sodium intake (to help balance electrolytes). Keto is not high protein as protein can kick you out of ketosis. Protein can convert to glucose through gluconeogenesis.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    henrydi1 wrote: »
    I'm on the diet as well, my son actually was on the diet. He lost over 60lbs. That prompt me to start, it is a very difficult diet. If you have the will power the results will be amazing.

I've been on the diet a little over 2 weeks I've lost 12 pounds. That was without working out. I will be starting back at the gym soon I have a knee injury.

I'm very strict have no more than 18 carbs a day and that is rare. I normally stay below 10 though it is a very strict and extreme I do like it. I no what I can have and what I can't the food is very limited which is very difficult. I do like that I don't consume sugar, I was completely out of control...

Instead of limiting your carbs to the absolute minimum perhaps try increasing them as high as you can and still be in ketosis? There are so many foods available to you that fit a ketogenic diet don't limit yourself unnecessarily.

Best wishes and continued success. :smile: