Chia Seeds

Options
Fursian
Fursian Posts: 526 Member
Hi all,

I recently purchased some Chia Seeds after hearing about the fiber content in them, amongst other things.

Some questions for you all..

1. How many grams are you all using per serving? Like, how much are you adding to your yogurts, oats, tea, etc..?

2. I love creating gel from the seeds! Much fun! BUT I'd like to know if adding hot water to the seeds would "kill" anything in them? I have heard that boiling water can destroy some of the minerals in the water, and figured this might be the same? If so, I guess I can just use warm water.

3. It's early days, and I've yet to really experiment adding these seeds to stuff, so if you're willing to share some things you've put with Chia Seeds, that would be awesome and much appreciated!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have 6-7 grams, or 1/2 Tablespoon, per serving. (6 on even days; 7 on odd.) I soak them in room temperature water for at least 15 minutes, but prefer an hour or so, or overnight in the frig.

Here's my breakfast smoothie. I add about 100 g of cucumber too. I use warm tea for the liquid cuz it's too cold this time of year for me to have a cold smoothie.

vycn47ulu6p9.jpg
  • Fursian
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, @kshama2001! Hmm, a warm smoothie, interesting!

Looking at your 6-7 grams of Chia Seeds, I'm thinking the 1oz I added to my yogurt may have been overkill, we'll see, lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    It's more room temperature than warm as the fruits and vegetables are cold from the frig, but at least it's not cold :)

1 oz - is that like 2 tablespoons? That's about 10 g of fiber, which can be a lot in one meal if you've been eating low fiber. Best to gradually increase fiber :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making a chia pudding yet? Delicious :smiley:

I don't have them as much anymore, but when I do, I usually add 10-30g in my smoothie or yogurt. You can add them to pretty much anything, like scrambled eggs, soup, mashed potato, whatever.
  • Fursian
    Options
    @kshama2001, yeah about 2-3 tablespoons. 1oz seems to convert to roughly 28 grams. I was looking back over my fiber reports for the last month and it looked really low, shockingly low, so I've swapped out a tracked macro in favor of fiber to just keep an eye on it and improve it. I'll heed your advice to gradually increase it, though. My water intake is good, so this should help things.
  • Fursian
    Options
    @Christine_72, I've been looking into making a chia pudding! I was thinking of mashing up some fruit and adding the chia in gel form, then my natural yogurt, and some crushed nuts. Basic, but it's a start!

I'm feeling like a witch, with her cauldron...all the new spices, seeds and such I'm shopping for these days, lol. Great fun though! :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    @Christine_72, I've been looking into making a chia pudding! I was thinking of mashing up some fruit and adding the chia in gel form, then my natural yogurt, and some crushed nuts. Basic, but it's a start!

I'm feeling like a witch, with her cauldron...all the new spices, seeds and such I'm shopping for these days, lol. Great fun though! :smiley:

oooh interesting, sounds good. FTR most chia pud recipes are basic/simple which is one of the reasons I like them, quick and easy.

:laugh: at the witch and her cauldron, I can totally relate. I've made some interesting concoctions over the years.

• itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great in overnight oats, with banana yogurt and cinnamon :) I use 20g or so but they do swell. Enjoy
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I add about one tablespoon of chia seeds to my yogurt. And sprinkle it on my salad as well. It works well in oatmeal also.
  • Fursian
    Options
    @Christine_72, yeah, there is definitely something to be said about simplicity!

@itsmemaringle, cinnamon sure is great! It's going to go in many things, hehe.

@bambione, once my fascination with the gel settles, I'll sprinkle the seeds on my salads, too. :)

Thanks for all these responses everyone!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They remind me of miniature engorged ticks.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I read not to use them as a coating in baking since heating them too high can destroy the omega 3's. This was not from a reliable source. If omegas in chia are important to you, research this further.
    Tip: Don't leave any on a wet sponge and go on vacation. You will come home to a grown garden.
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can only eat them fully hydrated so they have to be soaked at least over night. What I have going on right now is kind of a jam. I blended some frozen berries and a bit of water and then stirred in the chia seeds. I've been stirring it into yogurt and oatmeal.
  • 46carmen
    46carmen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in scrambled eggs, protein shakes, and oatmeal.
  • Fursian
    Options
    @magtart, mmm... nutritious! :D

I read not to use them as a coating in baking since heating them too high can destroy the omega 3's. This was not from a reliable source. If omegas in chia are important to you, research this further.
    Tip: Don't leave any on a wet sponge and go on vacation. You will come home to a grown garden.

@JanetYellen, lol, aww! Coming back to find a species of chia pet taking up residence at our kitchen sinks <3

@FitKat123, @46carmen, I love oatmeal every now and then, with some honey. I'll be sure to add the seeds to this. :smiley:
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    ...that would be the "Sponge Bob Square Pants" version of the Chia Pet!
  • Fursian
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    ...that would be the "Sponge Bob Square Pants" version of the Chia Pet!

@bri170lb, yes it would be! haha
  • AoifeElmo
    AoifeElmo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use about 12 g of chia seeds in my smoothies. I sometimes mix them with oats too.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    They are your best source of cholesterol busting ALA.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Great in overnight oats, with banana yogurt and cinnamon :) I use 20g or so but they do swell. Enjoy

That's what I'm going to start doing. We've been doing the overnight oat thing, and it's great!