Odd question regarding running and weightloss

Okay, this is going to sound very weird I have tried searching for this particular topic in the community but maybe this question has not yet been asked so here it goes...

I have recently started running. I enjoy cardio at my gym mostly doing group fitness classes because it makes the time go by fast. And of course it is well known that cardio and a calorie deficit will also increase fat loss . but on occasion sometimes I don't make it to the gym so I run. I either read or heard somewhere a long time ago that if you run you should suck your gut in because that helps tone for strengthening your core ab muscles making your tummy smaller eventually overtime... Is this true? Does running really help with fat loss / weight loss in your tummy/stomach area? I know that weight loss will happen wherever it wants there's no way to target specific designated fat loss.

Anyone know the answer or ever hear of my question? I am really interested in hearing responses. Thanks.

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Does running really help with fat loss / weight loss in your tummy/stomach area? I know that weight loss will happen wherever it wants there's no way to target specific designated fat loss.

I think you answered your own question...
  • tzkully
    tzkully Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2016
    Running is the best thing there is for weight loss but it will do nothing for muscle tone at all... That's why most long distance runners look like twig people.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Running does help muscle tone. It requires good posture which uses abdominal and back muscles. When I come in from a long run, my abs are often sore the next day. That being said, it's not going to erase stomach fat any faster than any other type of exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    tzkully wrote: »
    Running is the best thing there is for weight loss but it will do nothing for muscle tone at all... That's why most long distance runners look like twig people.
    Twig people?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Actually the "best thing" for weight loss is a calorie deficit. One could run all they want, overeat and not lose a pound.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Running does help muscle tone. It requires good posture which uses abdominal and back muscles. When I come in from a long run, my abs are often sore the next day. That being said, it's not going to erase stomach fat any faster than any other type of exercise.
    Running will help with conditioning muscle to a point, but if weight is going down, resistance is too. Which is why many people who just run only and then try a resistance training program are quite weak in actual core work for squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member

Really? The last time I watched any long distance running (it was a while ago and either Commonwealth or Olympic Games coverage) all of the marathon runners were looking slim and toned with incredible abs

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    My legs, back, and abs have never been better since I started running. Didn't spot reduce fat but it certainly works and builds certain muscles.
  • okeefester3
    okeefester3 Posts: 16 Member
    Running has flattened my stomach more than any other fitness regimen. It does work your core quite a bit and I do believe that it does have a specific impact to belly fat, at least it does for me.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited January 2016
    If I understand your question correctly, no it will not increase the fat burning in your stomach area any more than if you were not sucking in your gut. However, your running form will improve overall by keeping your core engaged while running. Not sucking in your gut exactly, but being aware of those muscles. I hope I'm explaining it properly.
    edited for spelling
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

True story. Start running and you will instantly look like a twig person. Just like if you lift a weight, you will instantly look like a world class powerlifter.

OP, no, sucking in your stomach won't do anything. Proper running does engage your core, so if you find yourself doubling over and having a hard time keeping your trunk upright, then you should do some things to strengthen it (planks come to mind). But holding in your gut is not going to give you any more of a burn.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sucking in your stomach can help build some muscle (stomach vaccuums) and it can help your posture.

after a long run or a hard run, i do find my abs hurt.

the cardio itself will help burn fat all over your body and will thereby decrease belly fat-as opposed to spot reduction
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    I just ran my first marathon and I am definitely not a Twig Person. Runners come in all shapes and sizes...I am currently about 10-15lbs overweight...but I am still a long distance runner. Running is great for cardio. There is a technique to breathing while running thought that could engage more of your abdominal muscles. If you breath through your nose and try "belly breathing" instead of engaging mostly your chest muscles it is supposed to strengthen your core. I am unfortunately a mouth breather when I run and don't have that technique down yet!
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Running/jogging has definitely strengthened my core over the last couple of months, obviously you can't spot reduce fat but as my fat gradually comes off due to calorie deficit, my tummy area is definitely feeling firmer than it has in the past at the same weight when I wasn't running.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member

Not true. Professional runners are trying to compete. To be in the best shape they can for competition, getting their body fat down and their weight down will help them over competitors (hauling around less weight will let you run faster with the same amount of effort than at a higher weight). However, just google Shalane Flanagan or Desiree Linden or any of the top US female distance runners and I think most people would say they look great and healthy. They are going to be less muscular than sprinters because in sprinting muscle mass is a good thing and you aren't going that far that carrying around the mass is helpful. For distance you still need muscles, but at a balance where lower weight is important. However, those pro runners have to work really hard to get their weights and bodyfat that low. Running by itself will not make you thin. It's pretty much as good as any other cardio exercise for weight loss, calories burned can help but weight loss happens in the kitchen.