Logging Water/Drinks

Options
If you drink herbal tea as well as other drinks, do you log them as water or do a search on the data base and have them logged in their own right? I have been logging them as water but if it has been another drink such as Horlicks Light or Skinny Mocha, I have logged them separately.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of my drinks unless they have calories.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jennifer. That makes sense. I would still log herbal tea as water though I think; adding any honey, Xylitol or agave as extra.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't log water, black coffee or plain tea.
  • jayhd777
    jayhd777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would log any drinks, water included. Lack of water intake or too much could factor in weight loss/gain. Tracking fluids even with no calories is just as important.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    But what I am asking is if you would log herbal tea or for another example, hot water with lemon as water (shown on the website but not the apps) as water, or the named brand of herbal tea/homemade; in the case of hot lemon and water I presume most would either add it as a recipe, or separate in to water, lemon and any sweetener?
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't log things like coffee because I drink it black with sweeteners. Tea I have splash of milk so will log that if need be but water I don't log as I don't drink water by the cup but by the litre and I can't be arsed faffing around with the conversion.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I log mine as the herbal tea I'm drinking, I'm not sure why you would take the time to log it as something other than what it is?
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    I log mine as the herbal tea I'm drinking, I'm not sure why you would take the time to log it as something other than what it is?

Because it is made of water even if hot; and the infusion of herbs flowers spices etc would be neglible. There may be a trace of vitamins for example in a herbal tea that has rose hip in.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I don't log things like coffee because I drink it black with sweeteners.

I drink black coffee too, but with xylitol. I haven't seen anywhere on the website that indicates any benefit of actually logging the water. I know how much I have drunk but for the purpose of nutrition and health I am not sure why they are asking us to state how many cups a day we have had.

• SqueakyBeans88
    SqueakyBeans88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. If I'm rushed I'm unlikely to log a green tea or peppermint tea if I know it to only have say 1-3 calories, however I track every cup of water (and track each of these types of tea as one cup of water) - I don't miss out logging any fluid as I personally believe water intake has an impact on weight loss and the weight loss prediction MFP gives you at the end of each day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cryptobrit wrote: »
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I don't log things like coffee because I drink it black with sweeteners.

I drink black coffee too, but with xylitol. I haven't seen anywhere on the website that indicates any benefit of actually logging the water. I know how much I have drunk but for the purpose of nutrition and health I am not sure why they are asking us to state how many cups a day we have had.

MFP provides that option as many people need the accountability of logging their water to make sure they drink enough. If you aren't concerned about your water intake, then just ignore it. If your beverage has calories, you should log it, if it doesn't, I wouldn't bother. But honestly, it's a personal preference thing, do what works for you!
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I altered my food diary listings and have a section especially for 'drinks'. This is where I log my herbal teas (by name) and also my regular tea (PG Tips) and my milk. I also use it for wine, cider etc.
    I have not actually logged 'just water' cups for ages, but I make sure I drink nearly 2L per day, sometimes more.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    cryptobrit wrote: »
    But what I am asking is if you would log herbal tea or for another example, hot water with lemon as water (shown on the website but not the apps) as water, or the named brand of herbal tea/homemade; in the case of hot lemon and water I presume most would either add it as a recipe, or separate in to water, lemon and any sweetener?

I don't log the water (I drink around a gallon per day, so I know I'm having enough and don't feel the need to log it), but things such as lemon water has calories because lemons have calories. I'm not a tea drinker, so I don't know how that works, but I do drink coffee, black, which also has calories - it is a very small amount, but I log it, anyway. When drinking lemon water, I log the lemon juice I use (I don't use sweetener, but I would include that, as well, if I did). I typically use about 3 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice, which is about equivalent to the juice from one lemon. This is 11 calories and contains about 4 g of carbs and 1 g sugar.

On a similar note, I log my daily vitamins, as well.
  • jessicaeccles
    jessicaeccles Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would log your tea as water. If you end up adding honey or any other sweetener add that into your snacks or something so you are still counting the nutrition facts of that.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If its zero calories, just log it as water.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You have given great information and feedback to my question and I do appreciate it. Because of my Sjoegrens I do drink quite a lot of water as well as the odd black coffee, 2 or 3 herbal teas, skinny mochas/hot chocolate and the odd normal mocha or hot chocolate. Squeaky: Do you think the MFP prediction would include the 'mainly water' drinks that I put under 'drinks'? If not then I would class them as water and add anything extra under 'snacks' such as lemon and Xylitol.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything with zero calories.
  • bmf9812
    bmf9812 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I log the tea as a tea bag (usually the brand comes up) along with any sweeteners I use under snack. My water intake tracking is for plain water but I do drink a lot of lemon water to hit my water goal, so I’ll add the lemon under snack.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I created an additional area in my diary, for beverages. I log my tea, coffee, diet soda, etc there-- in addition to tracking my water.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I add tea and la croix sparkling water in the water log. Unless you add any sweeteners or milk/cream to your tea I think it's perfectly acceptable to log it along with your water!