Scanning barcodes

Options
CHAR1105
CHAR1105 Posts: 18 Member
I have a samsung android s5...i cant seem to scan barcodes. I line shows up when i try that is red and changes to green and back to red. But nothing scans. Any tips?

Replies

• schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My also does that sometimes. Just keep trying. Sometimes it takes a few tries.
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Make sure there are no wrinkles or glares
  • caramelcutie84
    caramelcutie84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make there is good lighting
  • CHAR1105
    CHAR1105 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No...it simply does not work
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Try a different barcode scanning app and try it on different products. Make sure to hold the phone still while it's scanning and searching. I have a Samsung Note S4 and I'm able to scan bottles of wine and boxed items fine. If it's just one product then maybe the barcode isn't registered yet or it's wrinkled up. If it's every item you scan try a different app.
  • judowolf
    judowolf Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use a Samsung Galaxy s5 as well and it works fine...maybe try something different to scan, it may not be in the directory. Usually it has the red bar that turns green and then brings up the item info...the barcode has to be smooth and good lighting helps...
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is an issue with your camera. See if your phone has all the updates, also make sure the camera lense is clean as the barcode scanner is super sensitive.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's simple:
    • First, you have to hold the camera in your right hand and the product in your left. If you are left handed, I apologize.
    • Then you need to face south-southwest. Not south. not southwest. But south-southwest.
    • You need to make sure every light in your house is on. This includes the room you are in plus any other possible room in the house. Don't forget the flashlights. You may also have to turn on your headlights outside.
    • While holding the product in your left hand, gently pinch so that there is a 108-110 degree arc right on the barcode. Anything else will not work.
    • Once you reach the correct arc, pull up the app in your right hand and navigate to the barcode scanner. If you pull it up before you pinch the arc, it won't work.
    • Once you open the scanner, hold it exactly 12mm away from the barcode and then move out slowly. Slow enough that the sweat that has started to form on your brow reaches your chin before you are at the right distance. It will be somewhere between 3.2548723 and 3.2548727 inches away. You must get this precise.
    • Once you reach the correct distance, extend your tongue out of the right side of your mouth slowly.
    • Slowly start to spin in place until the glare from all of the lights disappears and you have the perfect light on the barcode.
    • Wait for the barcode scanner to recognize all that you have done and rewards you with the product you are scanning.
    • Check the item and see that the calories are off by 10 because too many people put it in incorrectly.
    • Cry.

That should do it!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    It's simple:
    • First, you have to hold the camera in your right hand and the product in your left. If you are left handed, I apologize.
    • Then you need to face south-southwest. Not south. not southwest. But south-southwest.
    • You need to make sure every light in your house is on. This includes the room you are in plus any other possible room in the house. Don't forget the flashlights. You may also have to turn on your headlights outside.
    • While holding the product in your left hand, gently pinch so that there is a 108-110 degree arc right on the barcode. Anything else will not work.
    • Once you reach the correct arc, pull up the app in your right hand and navigate to the barcode scanner. If you pull it up before you pinch the arc, it won't work.
    • Once you open the scanner, hold it exactly 12mm away from the barcode and then move out slowly. Slow enough that the sweat that has started to form on your brow reaches your chin before you are at the right distance. It will be somewhere between 3.2548723 and 3.2548727 inches away. You must get this precise.
    • Once you reach the correct distance, extend your tongue out of the right side of your mouth slowly.
    • Slowly start to spin in place until the glare from all of the lights disappears and you have the perfect light on the barcode.
    • Wait for the barcode scanner to recognize all that you have done and rewards you with the product you are scanning.
    • Check the item and see that the calories are off by 10 because too many people put it in incorrectly.
    • Cry.

That should do it!
    :laugh: You, I like. :drinker: