*Active=total calories-BMR calories

Okay, so for Friday, what did it say?

1489 consumed-905 active=584 net
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    jurbi wrote: »
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    If you're using MFP correctly, your BMR is your "bare-minimum requirements" -- what your body needs for daily functions.
    When you're setting up, you tell MFP what you want to lose and what your activity level is. That will give you a deficit.

If you're going with the Garmin tracker, use that.

I thought that was Basal metabolic rate? Basically resting calories burned

Yes, resting calories. So, what your body needs to burn to function while at rest
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
    Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment, in the post-absorptive state (meaning that the digestive system is inactive, which requires about twelve hours of fasting).

The release of energy in this state is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, brain and the rest of the nervous system, liver, kidneys, sex organs, muscles and skin.
  • jurbi
    jurbi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP correctly, your BMR is your "bare-minimum requirements" -- what your body needs for daily functions.
    When you're setting up, you tell MFP what you want to lose and what your activity level is. That will give you a deficit.

Yes, resting calories. So, what your body needs to burn to function while at rest
    Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment, in the post-absorptive state (meaning that the digestive system is inactive, which requires about twelve hours of fasting).

The release of energy in this state is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, brain and the rest of the nervous system, liver, kidneys, sex organs, muscles and skin.

Right, thats why I used that as my calorie goal, and I am using my garmin for burned calories but using mfp to log how many calories i'm eating, I have mfp connected to my garmin account so it automatically adds my calories eaten.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Right, thats why I used that as my calorie goal, and I am using my garmin for burned calories but using mfp to log how many calories i'm eating, I have mfp connected to my garmin account so it automatically adds my calories eaten.

Wait, all those entries of Aerobics - are you starting your Garmin to record an activity and it is transferring over as aerobics?
    If so, what exactly are you doing?

To address the one above - MFP doesnt figure BMR, it figures NEAT - non exercise activity thermogensis.

ETA - which Garmin are you using?
  • jurbi
    Options

Wait, all those entries of Aerobics - are you starting your Garmin to record an activity and it is transferring over as aerobics?

To address the one above - MFP doesnt figure BMR, it figures NEAT - non exercise activity thermogensis.

LOL i have 4 kids to keep up with and a house to clean and a LOT of walking/running around.. i rarely sit still! I'm not a slow person, when i do things i do things quick and it raises my heart rate.. and i'm using the vivofit

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No, what your body needs to maintain your weight if you don't move at all other than bodily functions (like the heart beating). Nothing to do with minimum requirements in any other way and your body doesn't know what its BMR is (and neither do we, it's an estimate).

BMR doesn't really matter, the deficit from TDEE does, and should not be too aggressive. For some a good way to avoid an overly aggressive deficit is to aim for BMR or a little above, but for someone sedentary and with a lot to lose eating under BMR can be reasonable and fine and for some, who are quite active, eating BMR might be overly aggressive.
  • jurbi
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No, what your body needs to maintain your weight if you don't move at all other than bodily functions (like the heart beating). Nothing to do with minimum requirements in any other way and your body doesn't know what its BMR is (and neither do we, it's an estimate).

BMR doesn't really matter, the deficit from TDEE does, and should not be too aggressive. For some a good way to avoid an overly aggressive deficit is to aim for BMR or a little above, but for someone sedentary and with a lot to lose eating under BMR can be reasonable and fine and for some, who are quite active, eating BMR might be overly aggressive.

ok this explains perfectly what i have been trying to ask!! so since i'm not sedentary i should eat back only a portion of my extra calories lost.. aiming for maybe a bit higher than my BMR? so if my estimated BMR is 1350 maybe i should aim for 1500-1600 calories per day and letting the rest be deficit?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    On my garmin screen it says something like this
    129 consumed-338* active = -209 net

What does it say your total calorie burn was and for what activity (# of steps plus any other activity)?

Normally you assume about 1.5xBMR=TDEE for someone lightly active with no additional exercise. If BMR is 1350, that would give you around 2025 (as an estimate), which is about 675 above your BMR. So this seems consistent with you being lightly active and then adding another 230 calories or so, either from some exercise or additional walking (for a TDEE of the day of 2255). That seems reasonable enough, and if you ate 1489 would not really be a negative net. It seems to indicate (if correct) a deficit of 905--close to 2 lb/week. With a BMR of only 1350 that could be a little more aggressive than you want.

It gets confusing since MFP and the device are using different methods and subtracting different numbers.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I think you might want to start over with how you have this all set up. If you enter your stats in MFP (height, weight, activity level, and your goal (how much are you trying to lose total and how fast do you want to lose it - 1lb/week) then MFP will provide you a calorie goal with a deficit built in.

Then if you sync your Garmin with MFP and let those two systems determine how active you actually are and what kind of exercise adjustments you should get from your actual activity, you should be in good shape to trust those recommendations.

I use a FitBit and have found it to be very accurate for my calories burned (from exercise and total from all activity) and used it with MFP to lose the weight and am now maintaining trusting those two.

Setting your calorie target to your BMR, as others have said, is not a good number to go with as it is far less relevant than your TDEE. Your Garmin estimates your TDEE, and so between that and having accurate info in MFP, you should get a much more reliable number.

Also looking at your diary it doesn't look like you are using a food scale, while not necessary, it highly contributes to accuracy in logging.

• lemurcat12
    Options

ok this explains perfectly what i have been trying to ask!! so since i'm not sedentary i should eat back only a portion of my extra calories lost.. aiming for maybe a bit higher than my BMR? so if my estimated BMR is 1350 maybe i should aim for 1500-1600 calories per day and letting the rest be deficit?

Yeah--that makes sense to me. See how you lose on that and then adjust if you are losing faster/slower than you want. It seems like you are quite active during the day so I would eat back some.
  • jurbi
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    On my garmin screen it says something like this
    129 consumed-338* active = -209 net

What does it say your total calorie burn was and for what activity (# of steps plus any other activity)?

Normally you assume about 1.5xBMR=TDEE for someone lightly active with no additional exercise. If BMR is 1350, that would give you around 2025 (as an estimate), which is about 675 above your BMR. So this seems consistent with you being lightly active and then adding another 230 calories or so, either from some exercise or additional walking (for a TDEE of the day of 2255). That seems reasonable enough, and if you ate 1489 would not really be a negative net. It seems to indicate (if correct) a deficit of 905--close to 2 lb/week. With a BMR of only 1350 that could be a little more aggressive than you want.

It gets confusing since MFP and the device are using different methods and subtracting different numbers.

well and i'm not even sure if i logged EVERYTHING i ate that day, usually fridays are kinda cheat days for us.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

LOL i have 4 kids to keep up with and a house to clean and a LOT of walking/running around.. i rarely sit still! I'm not a slow person, when i do things i do things quick and it raises my heart rate.. and i'm using the vivofit

You are overcomplicating things. Vivofit will track that activity.
    As someone else said - set MFP to sedentary. Pick a weekly weight loss goal. Let Garmin sync but only record extra intentional exercise.
    My Garmin tracks steps too. I use it only to log my runs, bike rides, swimming. I use MFP to log additional weight training.