Being A Binge Eater

Options
Today I stepped on the scale and reached my heaviest weight. I am a 5'8 20 year old female weighing in at 292.4 lbs. I REFUSE to let myself reach 300 lbs, so today I start my journey. I am a binge eater and I don't know how to stop. I will usually do my binges in private and eat until I feel like I am going to throw up. Before I even start a binge I am aware of how much I am going to regret it.. Hoping for some advice concerning this. I am hoping that this will be an outlet for me to go to for my achievements and even my setbacks. I really do not like to burden my family and friends with my weight issues.. (Or any issues) and I could really use some support!! I am so sick of being this way. I know that I am a badass with an awesome personality, but I am stuck in this body that I hate! I am SO ready for my body to reflect the person that is stuck in it!!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Clear out the pantry of binge foods?
  • judywiggins
    judywiggins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jessica I'm so sorry to hear about your challenges with food. I'm not sure how to help you, perhaps you can keep a journal and maybe when that feeling starts to hit you, you can right about it instead of eating.
  • jessicaeccles
    jessicaeccles Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I have come to realize I only binge if I am very stressed. I cleared out my pantry and fridge this morning so I don't have any temptations. I am really hoping writing about it will help. It felt amazing to even write this post and have someone listen!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    1. are there certain foods that trigger a binge? get rid of those completely.
    2. is it a certain mindset (i.e. depression, anxiety, boredom)? this will take time to undo...a lot of time, but start by being mindful of your state of mind before you binge. write it down in a journal. after a while, you'll figure out a pattern, then can start using techniques to get out of that mindset, or distract yourself just long enough to get over the binge (like go out for a walk, get out of your current location, etc.)
    3. are you able to restrict your binges to one day a week or two days a week for example? If so, try to do that. In order to be successful the other days, you'll have to have ready to eat food that's relatively low in calories: chicken thighs/breasts, crunchy veggies, whatever you like. prioritize high protein and high fiber foods.
    4. take up walking or any light exercise that you can do 2-3x a week, or everyday if possible.
    5. read the MFP stickies and use your time to browse through the threads on here to gain knowledge about implementing a sustainable long term diet. feel free to message people if you have questions.

take any one of the above steps. you don't have to do them all at once. once you see success, you'll be motivated to add additional steps. a big part of this journey will be self-discovery and battling inner demons - and that takes time. if all else fails, seek professional help. good luck and take care.

• beapops28
    beapops28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not too sure if you would be interested in this but I was also a binge eater and then I went to overeaters anonymous. They have great tips and amazing support there. If you go on their website you can find a support group close to you. If I feel like binging I talk to myself and remind myself that I'm worth more than a binge. One day at a time. You're going to do great!! You can do this!!
  • jessicaeccles
    Options
    beapops28 wrote: »
    Not too sure if you would be interested in this but I was also a binge eater and then I went to overeaters anonymous. They have great tips and amazing support there. If you go on their website you can find a support group close to you. If I feel like binging I talk to myself and remind myself that I'm worth more than a binge. One day at a time. You're going to do great!! You can do this!!

Thank you so much! I will check it out!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options

I second this. Those groups are amazing and I have a few family members who have benefitted greatly from a support group like that. I think it's great that you recognize your habits and behaviors. That's a huge first step. <3
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar problem. I eat a lot when I'm stressed. And when that happens it usually leads to over eating the next day and the next day and so on. And boom there goes my diet.

I realized that I can only stop the binge eating when I have the right mindset. Only when I'm 100% commited to my diet can I stop myself from bingeing.

It helps me a little bit when I don't have crappy food in the house. But it's not a 100% safe guard since there is always a shop nearby.

Another thing that helps me is to have "binge food" nearby. For me it's carrots. I can eat so much and it's so little calories. Plus they make so much noise when I eat them. Helps when I'm stressed :D
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said pick a thing you CAN binge on--carrots, cherry tomatoes, jicama, apples, grapes. For me I crave sweets--cookies, chocolate, anything sweet. BUT...when I am in that mood to eat anything that I can get my hands on, if I make myself grab the baby carrots, I will inhale those just as easily and not do as much damage to myself!!!!!
  • DebraLMurphy
    DebraLMurphy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with binge eating and have tried OA also, so I feel for you! The process is a lot of self discovery since what works for one person may not work for another. So gather as much advice as you can and try it all in the hopes that something will click for you. For example, I read on MFP that a filling, protein rich breakfast helps with night cravings (which is my hardest time of day) and I have been using that advice with success. I also read from the community threads at night which is a huge help to me. I log every meal and snack which helps me feel that I am in control of my eating rather than it being a mindless binge. It also alleviates the need to replay what I've eaten so far each day in my head (not sure if anyone else does that!)

Exercise is great, but make sure it is something you love to do that helps you sort your thoughts and reduce stress. It shouldn't be too hard or you might not stick with it, or worse, use it as an excuse to over eat. Since stress is your trigger, find healthy ways to relax - cups of yummy smelling tea and warm baths work for me.

Support is key so add as many friends as you like. Feel free to add me.

Best of luck! You sound like an amazing person and deserve to be happy!
  • jessicaeccles
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice everyone! Wow, MFP is awesome!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    mfp has an OvereatersAnonymous group that you can join. Also ther is a group called One Day at a Time here also.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I second this. Those groups are amazing and I have a few family members who have benefitted greatly from a support group like that. I think it's great that you recognize your habits and behaviors. That's a huge first step. <3

I third this! It is not an easy process and will take a lot of self discovery, ups and downs. But I think you probably need more support than what you can get on MFP. I would also say to friend those who have been successful on here. Good Luck!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the same two-pronged problem: binge and secret eating. It can be awful, but after a lifetime I am learning how to deal with it at age 45.

Just a couple suggestions and tricks:

• Brush your teeth and use mouthwash after finishing with dinner

• Self-talk and a waiting period. If you want to binge or secret eat, ask yourself why and what else you could do instead, or simply do a meditative mind exercise (counting breaths, for example). Allow yourself to relax. Give yourself ten minutes. If you still want to binge, try again.

• Developing relaxation practices like yoga and meditation can really help you in general. You learn the mind-body connection.

• I got into running very gradually and being an enthusiast helps me make better decisions overall. Thinking about food as fuel for an activity you enjoy, and/or not wanting to overstuff yourself because you won't perform as well can be a deterrent.

I truly sympathize. It's been hard for me, too. Most of all realize that you will not always be perfect – so when you do slip, forgive and learn from it, and don't let it derail you completely. Just start over, every time. Really.

I've done a LOT of starting over, and it's OK.

Amy
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    One way I resolved being a binge eater... following Intermittent Fasting. I realized I was rarely actually ever hungry, I just ate because I loved to binge. So now, I don't put anything in my mouth (other than maybe a protein drink) until after 6PM. 6-9 where the times where I always wanted to binge, so now I sort of can! I still count my calories, but I have so many calories I rarely worry. I sort of binge, but stay within my calories and feel great the rest of the day.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well done on the steps you've taken already, it's all positive stuff.
    I'm also prone to binge eating, normally as a result of stress. I find drinking water helps and if I can hold off for 10 - 15 minutes then sometimes the urge to hide in the fridge passes. I also try and make sure that I log what I've eaten honestly, although it can be scary (and embarrassing!) seeing the calories on the screen in front of me is a wake up call that helps break what can sometimes be a 2-3 day cycle.
    As radiosilents say, forgive yourself, you can always start over. Every good decision helps!
  • krziskecm
    krziskecm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem ! I just am starting today.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    One way I resolved being a binge eater... following Intermittent Fasting. I realized I was rarely actually ever hungry, I just ate because I loved to binge. So now, I don't put anything in my mouth (other than maybe a protein drink) until after 6PM. 6-9 where the times where I always wanted to binge, so now I sort of can! I still count my calories, but I have so many calories I rarely worry. I sort of binge, but stay within my calories and feel great the rest of the day.

yea, me too. that's what works for me.

• dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    All of those suggestions are great and will work for you in some way. There are many things in life that we cannot control like unexpected expenses on an already tight budget, having a loved one struggling with a fight against cancer...there is one thing that each on of us can control and that it what we put in our mouths so when you feel upset because life deals you some bad blows that you have no control over take control back over your response. Dig your heals in and refuse to be controlled by the binge eating habit. I know you can do this and I wish you great success.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I find writing helps!2i6eaaj3icaz.jpg