Looking for Keto friends

Options
Hi - I just started Keto & would like Keto friends

Replies

• Veggonevegan
    Veggonevegan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm a lacto ovo vegetarian starting keto today. I am determined to be successful this time & would love people to talk to & support so I don't drive any loved ones crazy.
  • Big_Jim_86
    Big_Jim_86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am not full keto, but I do try to keep my carbs to a minimum, usually under 75g a day some days more, but I have been having some decent sucess if you would like to add me.
  • kisk
    kisk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add me! Full keto here.. been 2 weeks and I'm down 10lbs (mostly water of course) but I feel amazing and eating on this diet is great. Me and my wife have been printing out new recipes daily.

Big Jim, 75g of carbs won't cut it for keto. You'll never reach ketosis and get the ketones flowing at that amount. I'm still on around 20gs of carbs/day and feel AMAZING!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Most of us ketofiles tend to hang out here in MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Keto & always looking for new friends. :)
  • relaxedandultra
    relaxedandultra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add ya guy too! Starting Keto tomorrow! Hope to feel better than I am now in the end.
  • AbigailPiner
    AbigailPiner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started keto on Jan 2nd. Feel free to friend me anyone!!
  • ashleybarcus
    ashleybarcus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Started keto on January 6th and I'm down 11 lbs so far. Feel free to add me also :)
  • nursegidget1979
    nursegidget1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started Keto 5 days ago and I am loving it. I'm keeping a pretty strict diary, and It's helping me make better choices. You can add me if you would like to
  • sanndrac
    sanndrac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can add me! :)
  • KyHymon14
    KyHymon14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today as well. Please add me, I'm looking for tips.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto-ing along since July of last year. Anyone can add me as a friend.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    So many people here with epilepsy! Wow.
    Since a ketogenic (extremely low-carbohydrate, causing fat breakdown) diet is a treatment for epilepsy,
    and can cause serious health problems,
    you should be consulting with your doctor.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041020091532.htm
    From 2004.
    "The ketogenic diet, which is very high in fats and low in carbohydrates, was first developed almost 80 years ago. It makes the body burn fat for energy instead of glucose. The diet mimics the effects of starvation.
    When carefully monitored by a medical team familiar with its use, the diet helps two out of three epileptic children and may prevent seizures in one out of three, according to the Epilepsy Foundation.
    The diet has to be rigidly controlled. Any deviation can produce a seizure if the patient is thrown out of ketosis, a presence in the blood of abnormally high levels of acidic substances."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    "low-carb diets, especially very low-carb diets, may lead to greater short-term weight loss than low-fat diets.
    But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large.
    A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound

If you suddenly and drastically cut carbs, you may experience a variety of temporary health effects, including:
    Headache
    Bad breath
    Weakness
    Fatigue
    Constipation or diarrhea

...some diets restrict carbohydrate intake so much that in the long term they can result in vitamin or mineral deficiencies, bone loss, and gastrointestinal disturbances and may increase risks for various chronic diseases."
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    So many people here with epilepsy! Wow.
    Since a ketogenic (extremely low-carbohydrate, causing fat breakdown) diet is a treatment for epilepsy,
    and can cause serious health problems,
    you should be consulting with your doctor.

You should consult with your doctor prior to ANY weight loss programs/diets.

Also, this information is more recent than a 12 year old article.

"The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/