Want to lose 30lbs before summer. Is that possible? Or unhealthy. I'm new to this so I have no idea

carlazarate14
carlazarate14 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2016 in Getting Started
My name is Carla..
I want to try and lose 30 pounds before summer. I work 45 hours a week, so working out is never on my mind after a long day.
Still not sure how exactly this app works. But if you have similar goals send a friend request!

Replies

• njtilley
    njtilley Posts: 1 Member
    I know what u mean, after a hard days work the last thing you want to do is go for a run, lucky for me work at the moment makes me do 12k steps which cant be bad
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    If you say the start of summer is June 1st, yes it's theoretically possible.

This app will give you guidelines on how many calories you'll need to eat/day in order to lose at a given rate, and a format to track your intake against those goals. It works very well, but it's only as good as the data you put into it. For it to be effective you will need to get a good grasp of your intake (weigh/measure all foods with a food scale) and have a pretty good idea of your expenditure (activity trackers like a fitbit will give you a pretty good rough estimate for calorie burn from normal activity).

If you start today, with a goal to hit your weight loss target but June 1st, you'll need to lose ~1.6#/week...i count 19 weeks between now and june 1.

Do do so you will need to maintain a calorie deficit of a little over 750 cals/day. Set your goal in MFP to lose 1.5 to 2#/week, ACCURATELY log your intake, and watch the scale over the next few weeks and see how it moves. Adjust your calorie intake accordingly. If you are not losing weight, you likely are not accurately logging what you are eating.

No need to go to the gym, though in terms of weight loss it will only help you lose weight faster (try not to exceed 2#/week, it's not healthy) or allow you to eat a little more with the same rate of loss. There are many other benefits but exercise, but you can still lose weight without it.

Good luck. 1.5-2# per week is going to suck, but stay disciplined and you'll be where you want to be by summer.

• sallunia
    sallunia Posts: 16 Member
    me too girl! good luck! :-)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Not knowing your stats, I really can't say. I mean, it's doable, but I would be concerned about getting proper nutrition with it.

In all honesty, you're better off setting your goal, getting your calories from MFP, and just sticking with that. Sure, you may not hit the magic number you want to lose, but you'll be pretty close, and since you're learning to adjust your eating habits, you'll be able to keep the weight off.
  • sarahspenceee
    sarahspenceee Posts: 38 Member
    In my experience, hitting the weights made the weight fall off faster. I trained moderately and lost a lot. Now I'm back on the same regimen and seeing a swift decrease in my body fat once again.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Why by summer? If your reason is to get into a bikini, I think that's kind of a silly goal and you'll stress yourself out if you don't get the results you want. May I suggest the BodyGym by Marie Osmond? You do it at home and it is AMAZING!!! It is a total body workout and it's hard. I've been doing it now for 1 month and my arms are more sculpted now then the 4 yrs I spent doing machines at the gym not to mention what it's done for my butt and legs!!! Good Luck!!
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Understand that working 45 hours a week is tough but I work 60+ hours a week and still have time to do the gym 4-5 hours a week. You need to make it a part of your life, not just a hobby. Put as much effort/desire into going to the gym as you would going into work. Watch your calories, work out 3-5 times a week (even HIIT for 30 min will do), and you'll be fine.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    not knowing the stats i can't say. I know the number is possible because I've lost more in that time frame....BUT I had more to lose. 60 months 30 pounds is 5 pounds a month a little over a pound a week. given the larger #s you get at the beginning usually it's doable. My experience is you will need to up the activity level (Last time I did this I walked home from work every day 7km to ensure I got a minimum level of exercise and by 4 and a bit months in I walked a half marathon . If 30 is all you need to lose to be at your ideal weight it may be tougher to acheive because the loss slows as you get close to ideal weight
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    I just started at the beginning of January and have lost 7 lbs so far. Just from tracking my intake meticulously since then. I hadnt been able to add in the gym till recently so that's predominantly from smart food choices, portion control and measuring. Good luck, stay strong!