Second Weigh In - SOOOO Frustrated!

Options
seabrzjo
seabrzjo Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Today marks my second full week at MFP. I did not weigh-in before my start date because (of denial?) so took my first weigh in (last Monday) as my starting weight. Like the previous week, I logged every morsel, sip, and exercise minute and stayed within my goals this week. Stepped on the scale this morning ... and I am EXACTLY the same weight I was a week ago (down to the decimal)!

Over the past week, I could feel my body getting smaller .. little things. I actually fit into a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in two years, and my hairdresser asked me on Friday if I was losing weight! So what the heck is happening??

I am 59, 5'8" and am likely spoiled from good initial first/second week losses in past decades, but is this really an age thing? Also, it's not the scale -- I changed the batteries and also had a neighbor weigh on her scale and mine.

I am so hoping others tell me that they have experienced the same "phenomenon" and the scale will eventually catch up.

Replies

• loubday
    loubday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I reckon you need to stop focusing on the scale, maybe measure yourself and use that as a medium of measuring your loss, because the scale can be pretty unreliable. You need to at least weigh yourself the same time (1st thing in the morning or last thing at night for example - ALWAYS) because this means levels of water drunk or food eaten will be the same when you weigh yourself. There is no scientific way if you have been logging everything that you haven't lost anything, so the most likely scenario is you have gained muscle mass from exercise or are weighing yourself at alternate times or on different scales (some are more reliable than others). The clothes don't lie, the mirror doesn't either... so just ignore the scale, keep going, use measurements - they are more accurate.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    loubday wrote: »
    I reckon you need to stop focusing on the scale, maybe measure yourself and use that as a medium of measuring your loss, because the scale can be pretty unreliable. You need to at least weigh yourself the same time (1st thing in the morning or last thing at night for example - ALWAYS) because this means levels of water drunk or food eaten will be the same when you weigh yourself. There is no scientific way if you have been logging everything that you haven't lost anything, so the most likely scenario is you have gained muscle mass from exercise or are weighing yourself at alternate times or on different scales (some are more reliable than others). The clothes don't lie, the mirror doesn't either... so just ignore the scale, keep going, use measurements - they are more accurate.

Very unlikely that you gained muscle mass from exercising in two weeks. If you recently added exercise after a period of time of not doing any, it's possible that your muscles retained some water to repair themselves. Water weight gain is quite common when starting a new exercise program.

Weight loss isn't linear, and not everyone experiences the big loss when they start. As long as you are being accurate with your logging (careful not to eat back all your exercise calories as MFP tends to over estimate calories burned) your body will catch up.

• seabrzjo
    Options
    Thank you, loubday. I do weigh myself at exactly the same time every Monday a.m., but I did not think of the possible muscle increase. I have been using exercise bands and doing several reps a week. This could also be why my jeans fit. By golly, lunges and squats evidently may matter. :D I will ignore the scale this week and continue on. Thanks for your advice.
  • seabrzjo
    Options
    I appreciate the reply, JennieMaeK. I am using my Apple Watch and the Health app to calculate my exercise calorie burn because heart rate is measured, but I know that it also has calculation flaws. As long as either MFP or Apple estimates at least 250 kc, I never eat back more than 100 kc. I have no problem meeting my protein and fat goals, but struggling to even hit two-thirds of my carbs goal. (I have my goals set at 40c/35p/25f,)

Since I am seeing some NSV's, I will keep going. I have a routine appointment with my GP in mid-Feb and, if nothing changes here, I will ask for more advice.

Thanks again for your kind reply and advice.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I guarantee it's not muscle mass, especially in only 2 weeks. Do you weigh all solid foods?? Measure liquids only?? If not you could be over estimating.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me I've realized weight is slow to start changing. I often won't see the loss or gain for 2 or 3 weeks. You may just need to give it more time.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to be snarky, but if you are already frustrated by week 2, you have a tough time ahead of you!

Weight loss isn't linear, and it's easy for things like water-weight fluctuations to cover up or inflate the number on the scale. Look for long term trends, not week-by-week. To ensure success, log accurately and consistently, and it really helps to use a food scale. Even if you do everything perfectly, some weeks you will lose a lot, some you will lose a little, and some you will gain.

Patience and consistency are key :) Good luck!
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    doesnt happen overnight dear.
    2 weeks is nothing.
    gonna take months to see a change.
  • seabrzjo
    Options
    I'm the OP and want to add final thanks for everyone's replies. Your assumption about my impatience was deserved. I failed to mention that I have been on programs (primarily WW) once every decade for the 30 years. I successfully lost and maintained each time, but also know it is a slow, dedicated process.

Everyone strictly following this program deserves to expect a loss regardless if they have just started or are more experienced. I simply refuse to buy into it's "gonna take months to see a change." I also don't believe in plateaus. Yes, I have hit many over the years, but careful review of my week always explained it (high sodium meals, illness, holiday parties, etc).

What I am VERY happy to report is my third WI showed a 3.2 lb loss. I definitely do not expect that in the future, but even tiny losses are motivational and why we are all here, right? Thanks again and good luck on your weight goals.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Too soon. Do your program for 6-8 weeks & look at the trend.
  • thatthingyoudoula
    thatthingyoudoula Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Honestly I've gained muscle mass exercising in just one week. That's totally possible for certain people. Also it does have to be a weigh in that's preferably naked, after having voided and eaten/drunken nothing.