Exercise calories

Options
I work out on the elliptical for 45 min and earn a huge amount of calories...am I actually suppose to eat all those calories? It seems like way too much...

I also do the beach body 21 day fix program...how do I record that?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Okay, where did you get the "huge" number of calories from? MFP calorie burns are often generous. Machine calorie burns are generous too. Heart rate monitor decent estimate for steady state cardio.

Many MFP users eat back 50-75% of their exercise calories to make up for generous numbers. Then they can increase or decrease the number according to how there weight loss progresses over time.

21 Day Fix exercise? Enter that under a general category. For calorie burn estimates use cardio - pilates. Cardio - circuit training....like that.
  • Cathyb8488
    Cathyb8488 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply....I got the calories from MFP when I click on elliptical and out in 45 min it says I burned 621 calories! I mean I got sweaty but that just seemed like a lot....

Your thoughts for eating seems to be reasonable and thanks for the tip on recording the 21 day fix stuff...

I lost two pounds week one...so hoping to see that again!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cathyb8488 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply....I got the calories from MFP when I click on elliptical and out in 45 min it says I burned 621 calories! I mean I got sweaty but that just seemed like a lot....

Your thoughts for eating seems to be reasonable and thanks for the tip on recording the 21 day fix stuff...

I lost two pounds week one...so hoping to see that again!

I'd start with eating back half and after a few weeks (4-6) , assessing how you feel. If you're feeling tired and lethargic and losing faster than expected, eat back a larger portion. If you feel fine and are losing right on track, you're probably doing good. If you're losing slower than expected, you might not be logging your food accurate enough, or you need to eat back fewer exercise calories.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No - you don't even earn half of it, and there's no requirement to eat ANY of them back. ;)