New to lifting

Options
Hi, I'm keen to start lifting although I think it will be difficult to gain lean muscle whole eating at a decifit ( still 26lb minimum to lose ) read all the recommendations on here to start with the 5 x 5 SL so joined a gym and had my first induction with the personal trainer. He agreed 5x5 is good but is recommending he makes me up a plan to start with the machines . Feel a bit dissapointed as I done free weights and lunges /squats many years ago and remember how good I felt . Feel as though I'm going back the way but probably being silly as I haven't done weights for a very long time ( with the exception of body pump classes a year or so ago ) would be interested in your opinions on this. I am a 48 year old female and aware there's less risk of injury with the machines

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    sfriel68 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm keen to start lifting although I think it will be difficult to gain lean muscle whole eating at a decifit ( still 26lb minimum to lose ) read all the recommendations on here to start with the 5 x 5 SL so joined a gym and had my first induction with the personal trainer. He agreed 5x5 is good but is recommending he makes me up a plan to start with the machines . Feel a bit dissapointed as I done free weights and lunges /squats many years ago and remember how good I felt . Feel as though I'm going back the way but probably being silly as I haven't done weights for a very long time ( with the exception of body pump classes a year or so ago ) would be interested in your opinions on this. I am a 48 year old female and aware there's less risk of injury with the machines

Congrats on getting started again! SL 5x5 is a great program to get started again. IMO - I would question the knowledge or your trainer if they are immediately wanting to start you on their "own" program. It sounds to me like you're not even interested in it.

Barbell Compound exercises will always be the best overall weight lifting movements assuming you are performing them correctly of course.

What was his explanation of steering you away from using a barbell?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Both free weights and machines are good. Nice to have a mix of both. With machines you can sometimes hit muscles from angles that you cannot with free weights, and you don't need a spotter. Free weights work more muscles at a time though because you have to balance everything.
  • sfriel68
    sfriel68 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think because I haven't lifted weights for many years he's thinking it will be the safest option, I also have history of back problems ( sciatica ) . Maybe just playing safe
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Find a new trainer that will train you on the free weights. Provided you don't have any limitations, like body parts in casts or blown discs in your back, there is nothing more dangerous about free weights than machines, and they are way better than the standard gym machines. (this excludes some machines like the cable machines) Those fixed weight machines in my opinion are really only good for people in rehab or if they have some physical issues. You age is not an excuse to not do free weights. I'm 48 and i Powerlift. Trust me, find a trainer that will train you the way you want, If you are already disappointed with his routine, you will not enjoy the workouts and probably give up. but if you are doing something you enjoy, you'll have more fun and stick with it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

Congrats on getting started again! SL 5x5 is a great program to get started again. IMO - I would question the knowledge or your trainer if they are immediately wanting to start you on their "own" program. It sounds to me like you're not even interested in it.

Barbell Compound exercises will always be the best overall weight lifting movements assuming you are performing them correctly of course.

What was his explanation of steering you away from using a barbell?

Seconded. All of these questions are valid. Do you happen to know what, if any certifications the trainer might have. Could be that they have an awesome plan, but it seems weird that they would steer you away from highly effective compound movements.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, 47 in March. I did SL 5x5 for a little over a year. I wasn't so great at staying on my deficit for most of that time. Probably was at maintenance. I def got stronger and I think I built a little muscle. I started doing a split routine at the end of December & really stayed on my deficit plan and the fat fairly flew off. Even though I am still on deficit I have increased my calories and look fairly muscular because of fat loss.
    SL is a great beginner program & pretty simple. If you are strong enough to start with the empty 45lb bar per SL program I'd insist your trainer shows you the lifts. OHP may be tough. I did fine with all the other lifts at first but had to start with a 30 lb fixed bar for OHP.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Get a new trainer.

To paraphrase Mark Rippetoe, machines train you in the way that the machine operates and not in the way your body moves or how your muscles function.

Dump the trainer. Find another gym if you have too. But dump the trainer.
    I am a 48 year old female and aware there's less risk of injury with the machines
    Did the trainer tell you this? Take a machine like the lat pull-down. The plane in which many people perform that exercise puts their shoulder complex in jeopardy of impingement.

I barbell train and I am 44.
  • jmule24
    Options
    I think because I haven't lifted weights for many years he's thinking it will be the safest option, I also have history of back problems ( sciatica ) . Maybe just playing safe

I'd argue that barbell movements are just as safe when done properly. Squatting/Bench just the bar isn't going to cause you injury anymore than machines would.

Again simply my opinion; in my experience many personal trainers steer clear from compound exercises for two reason, 1. they don't use them in their own training. 2. The routines needed to get results using them are no-brainer and a trainer isn't needed.

I would ask more questions if it were me.
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    If you are already disappointed with his routine, you will not enjoy the workouts and probably give up. but if you are doing something you enjoy, you'll have more fun and stick with it.
    ^That. All of that.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

i think he's going with whats easiest and safest for HIM. Get a new trainer. I wouldn't even try to use him for free weights, if he's already steering you away from them, he's obviously not experienced enough with them, or he'd know better.
  • jmule24
    Options

i think he's going with whats easiest and safest for HIM. Get a new trainer. I wouldn't even try to use him for free weights, if he's already steering you away from them, he's obviously not experienced enough with them, or he'd know better.

Agreed ^^^^^
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you were my client and upon accessing your GPP, I'd probably have you spend 2-6 weeks performing static and dynamic stretching, resistance band and mobility work instead of turning you loose on a boring machine --- yawn -- circuit. I would also do this if you intended to barbell train too .
  • jmule24
    Options
    Written by a doctor in the respective field.....you'll notice his beginner routine has no machines........

http://weightrainer.net/training/beginners.html
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    also, i have a history of sciatica, and learning free weights (especially deadlifting) was the best thing i have ever done. I learned how to lift properly, strengthened those muscles, trained my body to move and work the right way and i have not had a sciatica flare up in years. I was scared to death the first time i reached down to deadlift a 5kg kettlebell, but i spent a long time working on form and training my body. I wouild have never learned form and function from a machine. Plus there isn't a deadlift machine.
  • 2015bend
    2015bend Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I would definitely find a new trainer. Apparently the trainer is not listening to you, regardless of time away from free weights. I am a trainer and prefer to start clients on free weights. But, all depends on client. Good luck
    Options

I can see the gloves, tank top, and Sheik belt now....
  • SonyaCele
    Options

I was kinda thinking more of the khaki pleated pants, polo shirt with the gym logo, and name badge.
    edited January 2016
    Options

I was kinda thinking more of the khaki pleated pants, polo shirt with the gym logo, and name badge.
    I know that guy! We go way back.
  • sfriel68
    sfriel68 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All your replies are much appreciated, I'll be kicking the PT into touch lol . Definetely going for 5x5 and feeling excited about it. I actually think it will feel more comfortable to me than machines as I've never done them. done free weights in the gym years ago and spent years doing body pump ( which has all these moves with lighter weights and higher reps )
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I just started strong lifts 5x5 with my friend TODAY!! Two middle aged special ed teachers! We are going slowly due to individual injuries, disparate strength levels and concerns about developing good form. We have started with a naked 20 lb bar & will only progress when we feel ready even if it's slower than the program's progression.
    I really don't like the machines at all. I don't know why your trainer can't coach you on good form with light weight at the beginning,