CrossFit and calories burned

Options
Hello all - does anyone have an easy way to calculate calories burned during a CrossFit session. There is so much variability in weights and time that it is very cumbersome to log each individual exercise. I appreciate any suggestions. Good luck to all on your fitness goals.

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The best option you have is to choose the exercised titled Strength Training found under the cardio section. You log the total amount of minutes you perform the exercises.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would recommend logging it as circuit training. The strength training exercise is geared more for straight weight lifting, which burns far less calories than CrossFit because of the major cardio aspect of CrossFit. For me, personally, I wear my heart rate monitor during CF and use that number, but in the absence of a HRM, the circuit training is as close as you will get.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just did an estimate. I added estimates for the following: 15 minute light aerobic activity (the daily warmup) + 20 min weightlifting (the strength portion) + 12 min high intensity aerobic (the WOD, ours are anywhere from 5 - 30 min).
    I added that once & just enter that same number any day I go, regardless of what we did that day in class. I figure it all even outs over the course of the week as some days are more intense than others.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat back calories, so I'm not looking for exact.
    And as you stated, I'm too "lazy" to enter in every movement.
    I think I recall reading somewhere that if you're really pushing yourself in a WOD you can burn upwards of 12 cal/min. Which is suppose makes sense... (Based on at least my cal row..., hmmm...)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I used the circuit training entry which gave me around 200 calories. On a really hard WOD or a lot of work during the strength portion, I'd up it by 100 calories.
    It will be very difficult to estimate how many calories used. Even HRMs will have some degree of error due to nature of the workout.
    Consistency is what is key. Pick a method, use it consistently for a few weeks, then re-evalutate.