cooking with olive oil questio

Options
If I'm cooking chicken with olive oil do I have to add the calories to the recipe count since I'm not actually eating all of the oil used???

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You can either use a low oil method of cooking, or measure the remaining oil in the pan if it's not full of water and other cooked food and subtract that off.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just count it all. If anything you are taking in slightly less calories than you are and it contributes to your deficit.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I count it all because I'd rather over-estimate than under-estimate when it comes to something like oil.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bake it instead. No oil needed! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would estimate. I usually put about a tablespoon in the pan so if it's a 3-serving dish, figure a teaspoon per serving, and so on. Or round down since some remains in the pan.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I just use as little oil as possible and log it all. Some may be left in the pain, but logging it all gives me some buffer for logging errors elsewhere.

I generally drizzle 2 teaspoons over a chicken breast (1 teaspoon per side) and brush it over the entire breast so it's decently coated. 2 teaspoons is plenty for me.

~Lyssa
  • courtmarrow
    courtmarrow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I, personally, use coconut oil in a spray container (they make olive oil ones as well). Or you can purchase a Misto sprayer and add your own oil. Anyway it comes out in such a fine mist it's seriously a negligible amount of calories...like less than a gram of fat...so I don't feel the need to track it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I would estimate. I usually put about a tablespoon in the pan so if it's a 3-serving dish, figure a teaspoon per serving, and so on. Or round down since some remains in the pan.
    Exactly this. I usually load in the recipe builder and just include my oil as an ingredient.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just calculate it all. If you have that much leftover in the pan maybe you're using more than you need to start with.