If I'm trying to lose weight should I still drink protein

Options
So I've been eating clean and drinking only water but been wondering if I drink protein shakes will it help in losing weight or will it not help

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Meeting your calorie goals will help you lose weight. Drinking a protein shake will not hurt or help in and of itself. It can help meet your protein goals, and for some people protein helps them feel full longer making meeting their calorie goals easier.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you're at a calorie deficit. If the protein shake fits into your daily calories and helps you meet you protein macros, then go for it.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Why drink fake protein when you can eat the tasty stuff?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Drinking protein shakes helps get in protein if you're not getting it from other food sources. A calorie deficit makes you lose weight, a surplus makes you gain weight. If your shake makes you go over in calories it is bad for weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's your protein goal and lifting regimen and can you meet your protein target without drinking a protein shake

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Drink protein. Any advice other than that is bad advice. Protein keeps you full and spares muscle during calorie deficit. Do you care about the number on the scale or how you look in the mirror? If you want lean body composition you need a high intake of protein.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Drink protein.

said without any knowledge of stats or protein goals or if hitting goals with standard diet

Any advice other than that is bad advice.

yeah .. no

Protein keeps you full and spares muscle during calorie deficit.

so do fats and carbs for many, it is personal preference. And without progressive resistance it doesn't. Even with it doesn't spare all LBM, you're going to lose LBM in defecit it's just not losing more than required if you eat sufficient protein and follow a progressive resistance programme

Do you care about the number on the scale or how you look in the mirror? If you want lean body composition you need a high intake of protein.
    it's no magic macro without other conditions
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Drink protein.

said without any knowledge of stats or protein goals or if hitting goals with standard diet

yeah .. no

so do fats and carbs for many, it is personal preference. And without progressive resistance it doesn't. Even with it doesn't spare all LBM, you're going to lose LBM in defecit it's just not losing more than required if you eat sufficient protein and follow a progressive resistance programme

Do you care about the number on the scale or how you look in the mirror? If you want lean body composition you need a high intake of protein.

Studies show that more than 80% of people do not consume enough protein. Carbs and fats can keep you full but protein keeps you fuller. Only amino acids found in protein have been shown to spare muscle mass in a calorie deficit. Protein is the magic macro. Sorry to disagree with you but your information is inaccurate.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Drink protein.

yeah .. no

Studies show that more than 80% of people do not consume enough protein. Carbs and fats can keep you full but protein keeps you fuller. Only amino acids found in protein have been shown to spare muscle mass in a calorie deficit. Protein is the magic macro. Sorry to disagree with you but your information is inaccurate.

67.4% of all statistics are made up

You're on a calorie counting site where a lot of people track macros - this is not the general population

disagree all you like - nothing I said is particularly contentious
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    Drink protein.

yeah .. no

67.4% of all statistics are made up

You're on a calorie counting site where a lot of people track macros - this is not the general population

disagree all you like - nothing I said is particularly contentious

Eat your protein, your body will thank you
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I eat a minimum of 0.64g protein per lb bodyweight in line with current scientific thinking and the fact I am not an elite bodybuilder

But I also follow a progressive resistance weight programme

I don't dispute that protein is a great macro
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Drink protein.

yeah .. no

On the contrary most Americans consume more protein than is needed for their activity level, because we have diets high in meat and many Americans are sedentary. If you are weight training, then yes high protein is very important. For someone that is only doing moderate/occasional resistance training or who isnt doing any resistance training at all, throwing extra protein at the problem wont do anything except add unnecessary calories and stress the kidneys. Excessive protein over time can contribute to kidney failure. Protein is very important, but more is not always better.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Why drink fake protein when you can eat the tasty stuff?

Because, chocolate. Actually I found a brand at Costco that I can actually drink. I'm one of those people that struggles to get enough protein within my calorie goals. Its organic plant based. I can't do whey. Frankly I don't like eating meat all that much, its usually just in my dinner. Breakfast has kefir with liquid egg whites in a smoothie, lunch is usually something else with eggs. If I'm doing a million things and rushing around, its much easier to shake up 2 scoops in water to 150 calories and 20 grams of protein, then it is to make egg salad on 1 slice of bread (300 calories, 10 protein), and egg and bacon muffin (100 Cal, 9? Protein) , or a couple of hard boiled eggs (140 Cal, 12 protein).

Either way I do eggs, the shake is less calories and more protein. Sorry but I just can't stomach chicken breast for lunch, and eggs eggs eggs all the time gets dull. Meat is like a weight in me, best left for dinner when I can sleep on it.

So anyway, happy I finally found a protein supplement!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Drink protein. Any advice other than that is bad advice. Protein keeps you full and spares muscle during calorie deficit. Do you care about the number on the scale or how you look in the mirror? If you want lean body composition you need a high intake of protein.
    Bad advice? If the OP is meeting protein goals and a protein shake puts them over their calorie limit, then the protein shake is a detriment to weight loss. And lean body composition is based on body fat %, not how much protein one consumes. You don't get extra points for exceeding your protein daily intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't like nuts or fish, I eat meat sparingly and I have eggs and yogurt daily. It's hard to hit the protein macro every day so sometimes I make a shake. If it fits your life and goals then go for it. If it doesn't then don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Studies show that more than 80% of people do not consume enough protein.
    Link from actual peer reviewed study?
    Carbs and fats can keep you full but protein keeps you fuller. Only amino acids found in protein have been shown to spare muscle mass in a calorie deficit.
    Again link from peer reviewed study?
    Protein is the magic macro. Sorry to disagree with you but your information is inaccurate.
    You can disagree, but you'd have to show some actually evidence to prove inaccuracy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• hawilliams78
    hawilliams78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I drink these Slim Fast high protein shakes every morning for breakfast. It's low carb, low sugar, and I get 25-30% of my daily nutrients. It fills me up until lunch and only 180 calories.

If you don't have time for a high quality meal, it doesn't hurt to replace one meal a day with a shake.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Drink protein.

yeah .. no

What level of protein are they assuming in those studies? Could you link said studies? Most people who have sedintary to moderate activity need only about .4g/lb, which isn't a lot for most people. Broscience recommends a ton more protein than science does and most people, even people like us who lift heavy several times a week don't need more than about .7g/lb and the most that can be utilized even by Elite/Pro/Olympic strength sport athtletes is .82g/lb but bodybuilding sites often recommend 3 to 4 or more times that amount. If you are going by 2g/lb then you aren't going to find a lot of people who get enough protein but then again most people wouldn't even worry about protein suppliments if they knew how little they really needed. Truth doesn't sell suppliments.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Because, chocolate.
    :)

This site needs more emojis.

OP, stay within your calorie goal.

Protein shakes aren't magic, just useful sometimes.

I like Quest bars better with a big glass of water. I find chewing my food more satisfying and I don't like eggs at all.

Well, I can get one down if it is scrambled in butter with lots of buttered toast, but that doesn't fit my plan, so why bother?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Bad advice? If the OP is meeting protein goals and a protein shake puts them over their calorie limit, then the protein shake is a detriment to weight loss. And lean body composition is based on body fat %, not how much protein one consumes. You don't get extra points for exceeding your protein daily intake.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You mean the broscience creedo of "if some is good then more is better and much more is much better" isn't true? Shocking! ;)