Can i eat 1200 calories a day and lose weight?

Options
Do they have to be healthy food or is it just the calories?

Replies

• prncsstff
    prncsstff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just calories
  • salmaaarafaa
    salmaaarafaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    tiffanyyro wrote: »
    Just calories
    Did i try that and lost weight?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is a good idea, because it's healthy. Get enough protein and essential fats for starters.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Healthy food is a good idea, because it's healthy. Get enough protein and essential fats for starters.

LOL

yup

Yes you can lose weight eating 1200 calories (depending on your stats this may be enough to hit your nutritional minimums) but you may be happier and more satisfied and have longer term success eating more
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I suppose technically it's just the calories but you might be in for miserable time if you're not using 1200 calories wisely and watching your nutrients.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only needed to lose 10 lbs; lost it all @ .5 to 1lb per week on 1200 calories per day. Ate healthy (meat/fish/veg/fruit/eggs/porridge etc), had reasonable servings, had a treat every day; I exercise at least 5x weekly. Wasn't starving, enjoyed what I ate, lost the weight. So yes, you can lose successfully on 1200.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would lose weight eating 1200 calories of junk food, because calories in vs. calories out is all that matters. However, 1200 calories of cookies and chips isn't going to get you very much food and you will be hungry constantly. Better to eat nutritious foods and lots of good protein and fat to help stay full, and leave a little bit of room for treats.

And as mentioned above, depending on your stats you can likely eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. Adding in exercise will also allow you to eat more.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i eat 1200-1400 a day and do a 40/40/20 split and i'm comfortable at that level and I've lost a bunch of weight and maintained for 3 years.
  • alexpopescu0
    alexpopescu0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Carbs/protein/fat?
  • abijones75
    abijones75 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I only needed to lose 10 lbs; lost it all @ .5 to 1lb per week on 1200 calories per day. Ate healthy (meat/fish/veg/fruit/eggs/porridge etc), had reasonable servings, had a treat every day; I exercise at least 5x weekly. Wasn't starving, enjoyed what I ate, lost the weight. So yes, you can lose successfully on 1200.
    How long did it take to lose? I'm doing practivally the same, 1200 - 1250 a day and I go to the gym for 45 mins - 2 hrs a day, 5 or 6 times a week. Been at it nearly 3 weeks and only lost 2 ibs!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    abijones75 wrote: »
    How long did it take to lose? I'm doing practivally the same, 1200 - 1250 a day and I go to the gym for 45 mins - 2 hrs a day, 5 or 6 times a week. Been at it nearly 3 weeks and only lost 2 ibs!

Close to goal, weight loss will be slow. This is normal. Within 10-15 pounds of goal, a 1/2 pound loss each week is good progress.
  • abijones75
    abijones75 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    abijones75 wrote: »

Close to goal, weight loss will be slow. This is normal. Within 10-15 pounds of goal, a 1/2 pound loss each week is good progress.

Ah ok, just seems so slow when I'm doing so much! I'm not overweight but want to lose 11ibs. The last time I was in this situation I did the same but just did wii fit instead of the gym and lost a stone in a month, so I expected it to go the same way this time!