Do you drink water while you run?

Options
2»

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If your parched, try focusing on breathing through your nose.

Also, hard candy or gum helps a ton!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

50 years trying, that never worked.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i sip while i run
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I tried to drink water whilst running once, but just found it was going everywhere except in my mouth.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I tried to drink water whilst running once, but just found it was going everywhere except in my mouth.

I'm the same, cant drink whilst running. Tried once on a treadmill in the gym, never again...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Typically I don't carry water for runs of less than 90 minutes (unless it's really hot outside) If you're adequately hydrated before the run you shouldn't need water but if you're breathing through your mouth it can get reaaly dry making you think that you're thirsty.

A couple of possible solutions.....take tiny sips and swish the water around your mouth a bit before swallowing or chew gum.

+1

There are water fountains along my usual route so if my mouth is dry, I'll stop and get a mouthful and keep it in my mouth for a bit before swallowing.

I will say that when I'm running and it's over 90F, sloshing takes 2nd fiddle to cooling off and re-hydrating with the water.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If it's an 8-10 mile run I'll plan to stop by a park or library for a quick sip at the water fountain.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Not under about 1.5 hrs. Over that and you need to refuel and hydrate. Your body will get used to it. You might get side aches at first, but don't chug a bunch of water and your body will get more efficient at taking it in. If you're doing speed work, maybe just put a bottle on the machine and take a sip every once in a while. You shouldn't be dehydrating during an interval workout but might get a little thirsty.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a drink before I go. When I'm on the treadmill, I usually just take small sips if my mouth gets dry but other than that, I usually just drink water before and after.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »

50 years trying, that never worked.

Doesn't mean that it won't help the op....helps me a ton!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I go more than 7 miles I carry water or Gatorade with me (I have a bottle designed for runners). When go more than 10 I also use Gels which almost require water (to avoid stomach issues).

After nearly passing out last summer due to lack of hydration and electrolytes, I am very careful to stay hydrated for the entire run.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions. Taking small sips and swishing it around helped a ton. It got rid of that dry mouth feeling but didn't give me the sloshing feeling!