I want soft hair! Shampoo/ Conditioner... which ones?

Options
2»

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Men just don't understand!! haha jk...at least your husband seems really level headed. Budgets now mean more fun for later! :)

:yawn: He's always quoting Dave Ramsey saying "We need to live like no one else, so that later, we can live like no one else".
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i use aussie smooth shampoo and moist conditioner. my hair so IS soft and healthy looking now and it smells like the salon stuff, but so much cheaper!! definite vote on aussie!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My hair had gotten dry and frizzy from regular coloring and once a year perming. I tried many many high end products that just didn't work. Then I lost my job and couldn't afford the "good stuff" anymore. I found this product line in Wal Mart and it has done a fantastic job getting my hair back into good condition. Smells good too. A couple times a month I also do a "hot oil" treatment using first press EVO.

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_HAIRCARE^FRUCTIS^FRUCTIS_DISCOVER^FRUCTIS_TRIPLE_NUTRITION
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Personally... this helps:

Use as little heat as possible and when you do use heat, use a protectant. You're frying your hair.
    Use olive or coconut oil to soak your hair before washing, leave it in overnight for best results. Alternatively, add a bit of honey to a cheapo conditioner and soak that in your hair overnight, then wash.
    If you can periodically put your hair up damp (in a bun, perhaps) that helps the ends soak up more moisture.
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    well...I, too, have longish thin hair that just frizzes when dry...what I've found that helps is (much like exercise) changing it up...I rotate between Aussie and Treseme....I use each one for about 2-3 weeks and then switch. A hairstylist recommended this to me once and it's worked wonders. I also use a spray in conditioner when blowdrying...and recently found a Suave product called Vibrant Shine that gives a beautiful shine (not greasy look). So far I love it.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I gotta try this Aussie stuff LOL
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a hair dresser and she has told me time and time again if I won't buy salon hair products I need to buy Tresemme' as they started out as just being a salon product... I alternate depending on what I can get coupons for, (Aussie is procter and gamble, their coupons normally come out in the first weekend of the month's coupons...so you may want to try looking for coupons), also you can almost always get john frieda w/ coupons for just a few dollars... it's really good too, I use the root awakening by them...it smells awesome! I've always heard to switch up your shampoos, your hair does better that way, and also stay away from pantene whatever you do...it's really bad for your hair.... Hope this helps!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Aussie it is! I will purchasing it TONIGHT! Thanks ladies...
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!

moist shampoo + 3 minute miracle + leave in conditioner spray before you blow dry it (the spray also helps manage frizz and makes it super shiny!!!!)

I use Aussie!! Shampoo, conditioner and leave in conditioner spray. My hair is so soft, shiny and smells great!!!
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    I straighten and blow dry my hair each and everyday! I use Dove Damage therapy (intense therapy) shampoo. It smells great and just after one use- my hair is shiney and great! It doesnt make your hair greasy or weigh it down with greasy chemicals. I also use Dove Damage therapy conditioner (intense as well), I don't use the normal conditioner though, I use the daily treatment conditioner- not all pharmacies have it but I noticed I see it more and more. I also recommend Ego Boost leave in conditioner by Bedhead :D
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Can I just say I love smelling other girls hair??? Everybody keeps saying how awesome this Aussie stuff smells and I'm getting excited!!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    To keep my hair soft, I don't ever brush it when it is wet, I only use a pick (no need to cause more split ends). I also periodically use a really good conditioner and leave it in overnight. I've also noticed that when I take a Vit D supplement my hair is nicer too.
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    I use Big Healthy Hair shampoo and Big Healthy Hair soymilk conditioner. It has saved my hair! I love love love it. I also hear great things about Redken all soft.
  • HeatherFeather10
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations ladies. Aussie has 2 votes! Yeah!

As for not washing my hair daily, I HAVE to or else I will be one greasy lady. It's not even 24 hours later and my hair starts to look greasy. And with fine hair- it ain't pretty. I get it from momma.

Maybe I should go al naturale every now and then... hmm

I had this exact problem myself. After doing loads of research I learned that part of the cause of this is your scalp trying to replenish the oils that are stripped by the sulfates in shampoos and conditioners. I started by washing every other day and it did take a while for my scalp to adjust and slow down on the oil production.

Now I can go maybe 5 days between washes without it looking gross and oily. I’ve also got fine hair so I can totally understand where you are coming from but in my experience it was totally worth it.

You could Google “conditioner wash” or “no poo” for more info if you are interested in checking it out.

Hmm I have a feeling if I google "no poo" here at work my filter block will pop up!! But I will check it out at home. Plus, I'm doing p90x and eww on the sweat that comes out of my body out every pore.

You can definitely train your hair togo longer between washes. I have curly hair and use the Devacurl products - that contain no sulfates - one is called "No Poo". These products have literally changed my hair, it is not frizzy, but bouncy and shiny - thats saying something for curly hair. The longest I've gone without washing my hair was 10 days - no one could tell!!!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    okay so i'm gonna hop in here and go completely against the grain. Perosnally I dont like the way aussie smells.. and i know that just made me some odd female right? But I went through a phase of trying to find something that smelt good and made my hair soft, which is an issue considering i have wiry curly hair. Most products just kinda make it clean. Not soft just kinda clean and bleh looking. I haven't found anything amazing, but on special nights I use the Victoria Secret's Sexy shampoo and conditioner as it smells soooooooooooooo good (my husband like it a lot) and it does make my hair soft. So thats my thoughts on it. Its just a bit pricey to be an everyday one for me.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    okay so i'm gonna hop in here and go completely against the grain. Perosnally I dont like the way aussie smells..

Same here. Smell doesn't bother me too much, but I don't find it very moisturizing. I recommend Dove!
    Also, a good way to wash hair is every other time you wash hair (or whatever works for you), put conditioner on first and wait 2 minutes, but avoid the roots. THEN put shampoo on the roots. This still gets rid of dirt, but protects hair :)

Also, rinse hair with cold water (although I don't do this....)

Hair serums are good too! Also, weekly hot oil treatments can help (you can buy pack of three at dollar stores sometimes).

Hope this helps :)

ps: I recommend a boar-bristle hair brush as well. If you have thin (probably straight) hair= 100% boar bristle
    If you have thick or wavy hair (not too thin though)= nylon/boar bristle hair brush

Really makes hair soft!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations ladies. Aussie has 2 votes! Yeah!

As for not washing my hair daily, I HAVE to or else I will be one greasy lady. It's not even 24 hours later and my hair starts to look greasy. And with fine hair- it ain't pretty. I get it from momma.

Maybe I should go al naturale every now and then... hmm

You could try dry shampoo in between to get rid of the grease. I've been using Tresemme for about 2 years now & I love it. Also, I was told by my hairdresser to NEVER blow dry without some sort of product (mousse, gel, heat serum, etc.).
  • jenhduncan
    jenhduncan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found that when I bought a new hair dryer it helped A LOT with my hair. I got a Ceramic hair dryer that is Tourmaline (they sell them at Walmart), and it dries a lot faster so that you don't put as much heat on your hair. And my hair is so much softer after getting it. My husband loves how my hair looks and how soft it is now :)