Low carb

Options
Can anyone explain to me what a low carb lifestyle is exactly? I am currently pushing for 100g total a day is this ok?

Replies

• tmcalphin
    tmcalphin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's about how much I do daily as well...I used to eat tons of bread, potatoes, and pasta so I already see a big difference in my body by cutting down so much...I know some people opt for almost no carbs at all...but I think its important remain realistic if im going to make this a permanent lifestyle change and keep the weight off
  • shellielosinghalf
    Options
    Yes I completely agree. I'm all about pasta and bread so this is hard as is but yes the almost no carb doesn't seem very realistic for me personally either. But it's good to know I'm on the right track.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    To really do a low carb diet (LCHF (low carb, high fat), Ketogenics), requires much fewer carbs than that. Less than 20g of carbs to start you off, and then maintain at less than 30g of carbs are the typical numbers you will see. Keep in mind that this is NET Carbs (ie. carbohydrates minus fiber - the fiber isn't counted, because it isn't digested). So if an item had 10g of carbohydrates, and 5g of fiber, then the NET Carbs would be 5g.

The theory is that your body requires energy and can get this energy from Protein, Fat, or Carbs. BUT, if given the choice, it will take it from Carbs because it is the easiest form of energy for your body, it gets the most energy for the least work.

By depriving your body of carbohydrates, it forces your body to go into a Ketogenic state - where it now is drawing energy from Fat and Protein instead of Carbs. Fat and protein from foods, but also Fat and Protein from YOU!

You need to get into that Ketogenic state, which is why there is that induction phase of less than 20g of carbs. Once there, you can slowly up your carb intake to less than 30g of carbs. Be careful, by eating carbs again, you bring your body out of Ketogenic state, and then you need to start over again.

From experience, it works, but I did find it hard to sustain. There are some physical signs that your body changes (ie. my breath changed, metallic taste in my mouth). But I did find it successful, while eating significant portions of meat and leafy green vegetables. I just couldn't keep doing it, but there are lots of people who do, and fall in love with it. If you love it, more power to you brothers and sisters!!

That said, I don't think carbs are evil. Carbs do not cause fat. I do think we, as a society, have too many carb foods available, and hence we eat too many carbs. The easiest foods to eat when we are hungry are carbs - chips, chocolate, cookies - all full of carbs, but much easier to prepare than a slice of Tillamook cheese, a slice of melon, maybe a slice of prosciutto to go with it, and even a small slice of baked bread. That sounds way better to me than chips, and would lead to a better balance of Protein, Fat and carbs, but it means having a lot of ingredients around, and putting in a little work. It's also hard to do, if you haven't planned it, and your hungry at work. Where you gonna get all that crap!

But a proper balance of Protein, Fat and Carbs mixed with lower calorie and excercise leads to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle just the same as a Low Carb diet. You just need to find what works best for you and your journey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Chaagy wrote: »
    To really do a low carb diet (LCHF (low carb, high fat), Ketogenics), requires much fewer carbs than that. Less than 20g of carbs to start you off, and then maintain at less than 30g of carbs are the typical numbers you will see. Keep in mind that this is NET Carbs (ie. carbohydrates minus fiber - the fiber isn't counted, because it isn't digested). So if an item had 10g of carbohydrates, and 5g of fiber, then the NET Carbs would be 5g.

The theory is that your body requires energy and can get this energy from Protein, Fat, or Carbs. BUT, if given the choice, it will take it from Carbs because it is the easiest form of energy for your body, it gets the most energy for the least work.

By depriving your body of carbohydrates, it forces your body to go into a Ketogenic state - where it now is drawing energy from Fat and Protein instead of Carbs. Fat and protein from foods, but also Fat and Protein from YOU!

You need to get into that Ketogenic state, which is why there is that induction phase of less than 20g of carbs. Once there, you can slowly up your carb intake to less than 30g of carbs. Be careful, by eating carbs again, you bring your body out of Ketogenic state, and then you need to start over again.

From experience, it works, but I did find it hard to sustain. There are some physical signs that your body changes (ie. my breath changed, metallic taste in my mouth). But I did find it successful, while eating significant portions of meat and leafy green vegetables. I just couldn't keep doing it, but there are lots of people who do, and fall in love with it. If you love it, more power to you brothers and sisters!!

That said, I don't think carbs are evil. Carbs do not cause fat. I do think we, as a society, have too many carb foods available, and hence we eat too many carbs. The easiest foods to eat when we are hungry are carbs - chips, chocolate, cookies - all full of carbs, but much easier to prepare than a slice of Tillamook cheese, a slice of melon, maybe a slice of prosciutto to go with it, and even a small slice of baked bread. That sounds way better to me than chips, and would lead to a better balance of Protein, Fat and carbs, but it means having a lot of ingredients around, and putting in a little work. It's also hard to do, if you haven't planned it, and your hungry at work. Where you gonna get all that crap!

But a proper balance of Protein, Fat and Carbs mixed with lower calorie and excercise leads to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle just the same as a Low Carb diet. You just need to find what works best for you and your journey.

If you're choosing a ketogenic low carb approach.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Op: join this group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

read all the stuff in their launch pad.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain to me what a low carb lifestyle is exactly? I am currently pushing for 100g total a day is this ok?

There is a low carb diet - to me that says to lose weight "I will change my eating habits temporarily."

Low carb lifestyle would infer that you plan to eat low carb for the rest of your life.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, keeping under 100 grams/day is low carb. Shoot for 20% of calories as Protein, and the rest as healthy fats.