Crossfit

Options
How does an app like this not have a single Crossfit value for even a simple workout

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, as I do not do crossfit myself, crossfit is made up of different workouts put together. Some days you work out arms, other times legs, sometimes a total body workout is done. Sometimes weights, sometimes cardio. Maybe there are equivalents for these to mark it down for whatever WOD (workout of the day) you do?
  • CJZielie
    CJZielie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    From what I understand, as I do not do crossfit myself, crossfit is made up of different workouts put together. Some days you work out arms, other times legs, sometimes a total body workout is done. Sometimes weights, sometimes cardio. Maybe there are equivalents for these to mark it down for whatever WOD (workout of the day) you do?

There isn't
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    your best bet is probably the "circuit training" option.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I'd mark it as circuit training, or maybe as strength training depending on the workout. Since Crossfit workouts are a bit of a moving target, plus the specific benefits would be dependent on your effort and fitness, there's no way to have easily quantified entries for it.
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    because crossfit is effort based...it will be different for everyone and it will be different for the individual based on how hard they went that day. HRM will be your best bet
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to log the calories burned posting on Social Media every time that you were within 2 miles and tagging everyone else on your friends list that attends the same gym...errrrr....box.

:trollface:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Because it is impossible to give anything accurate.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am new to Crossfit and have been using my Fitbit HR to track my workouts. They have varied from 250-500 cals burned in the span of 45-60 min. I created a Crossfit cardio option on MFP and I log according to my Fitbit calorie burn. So yeah. HRM would be best. And for what MFP has, Circuit Training is good enough. Business wise, maybe MFP's relationship with so many companies forbids them from being associated with Crossfit. I don't see a lot of other commercialized brands offered as workout options, either.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    brad.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Crossfit is the name of a workout studio/gym. It is not an exercise. You must do an exercise to earn cals. Same reason there is no exercise called "YMCA ".
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Crossfit is the name of a workout studio/gym. It is not an exercise. You must do an exercise to earn cals. Same reason there is no exercise called "YMCA ".

apparently it's now a "sport".
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    CJZielie wrote: »
    LHWhite903 wrote: »

There isn't

Um, yeah, there is. You can log calisthenics, strength training, aerobic activities, etc. Since the workouts are made up of multiple types of exercises it would be impossible for MFP to call "crossfit" am exercise that burns x calories per minute. It's a style of training. You wouldn't expect "boxer training" to be an option because you might be running 5 miles or spending an hour practicing with a heavy bag.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

So are bowling and golf. :D
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    wheelsjad wrote: »
    because crossfit is effort based...it will be different for everyone and it will be different for the individual based on how hard they went that day. HRM will be your best bet

To many variables in any given Crossfit class - 1) Warm-up (some burn a good bit of calories - like Thunderstruck - and some don't), 2) Strength (is it weightlifting, gymnastics, or cardio), 3) WOD (is it more focused on weightlifting, gymnastics, or cardio), 4) Individual effort level (do you spend all your time in the Red Zone, or are you taking it easier)?

The best option is to use an HRM (understanding some of the limitations of HRM and calorie burns for that are not steady state cardio).
    brad.png
    wrote:

Hmmm....time2cutnow....sounds you're a hater? Two posts appearing to bash CrossFit and in neither did you post anything having to do with Ops question. Why bother? Take the hate somewhere else. CrossFit isn't for everyone, nor does it try to be. But it sure is for a lot of people.