How many calories per day?

Options
Hello Everyone,

Can someone please assist me with calculating how many calories I need to be eating per day at the moment to lose 2 pounds a week.

MFP has me set at 1250 per day.

I have done a search and there is conflicting advice, some people say that's too little, others say your body will go into starvation mode and stop losing, other say starvation mode is a myth.

I am thoroughly confused and considering going to a dietician so I know what's going on.

Could someone please assist by calculating how many calories my body current needs to maintain weight and how much to lose 2 lbs a week.

I am a 24 year old female, 1.63m tall and currently 91kgs.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    2 pounds a week...........an aggressive weekly weight loss goal = a low daily calorie allotment.

MFP gave you 1250 BEFORE exercise. So if exercise will be part of your normal routine, you will earn more calories. 1250 is the starting point if you will.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Starvation mode is not really a thing. You can screw up your metabolism, but you have to work pretty hard at it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To calculate your maintenance:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

For 1 pound subtract 500
    For 2 pounds subtract 1,000

The problem is some of us are a bit too small to make a 1,000 calorie deficit work for us.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Sheks41191 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

Can someone please assist me with calculating how many calories I need to be eating per day at the moment to lose 2 pounds a week.

MFP has me set at 1250 per day.

I have done a search and there is conflicting advice, some people say that's too little, others say your body will go into starvation mode and stop losing, other say starvation mode is a myth.

I am thoroughly confused and considering going to a dietician so I know what's going on.

Could someone please assist by calculating how many calories my body current needs to maintain weight and how much to lose 2 lbs a week.

I am a 24 year old female, 1.63m tall and currently 91kgs.

So a couple things...

How active are you on an average day? How often and how intensely do you exercise (if at all)? Those will all factor in.

1250 isn't automatically too little, and don't listen to anyone who uses the words 'starvation mode'. In the context using, it's a myth.

2 lbs a week is probably a reasonable goal to start with, but before too much longer, it will probably be a bit too aggressive. If you find that 1250 is too few calories, change to a 1 or 1.5 lb per week goal which is still a good, healthy rate of weight loss, but will allow you a few more calories to work into your day.
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I am at the gym doing 30 minutes of elliptical 3 times a week.

Other than that I am sedentary, I work a desk job.

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love this calculator - MFP should be pretty close to it, but scooby seems to give a few more. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I would say that 1250 does seem low for your weight right now. But, you can always try it out and see if it is sustainable for you. Don't be afraid to add some more calories in if you are feeling super deprived or if you work out.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    I love this calculator - MFP should be pretty close to it, but scooby seems to give a few more. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I would say that 1250 does seem low for your weight right now. But, you can always try it out and see if it is sustainable for you. Don't be afraid to add some more calories in if you are feeling super deprived or if you work out.

Just note that 1250 calculated by MFP will be different than the goal calculated by a TDEE calculator like scooby's because the latter takes exercise into account, MFP does not.

Scooby's seems to return a value of somewhere around 1600 calories. Under MFP's method, she'd eat 1250 + exercise calories (maybe 150-200 or so). So they're different, but not significantly so.

I'd shoot for somewhere in the middle...say maybe start at 1400...give it 4-6 weeks and gauge your progress. Adjust at that point if necessary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    2 pounds a week...........an aggressive weekly weight loss goal = a low daily calorie allotment.

MFP gave you 1250 BEFORE exercise. So if exercise will be part of your normal routine, you will earn more calories. 1250 is the starting point if you will.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Starvation mode is not really a thing. You can screw up your metabolism, but you have to work pretty hard at it.

Where did the above recommendations come from? Are they personal preference or is there some reason for them?
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you very much for your advice. It is much appreciated.
  • stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Its not just about the calories, but about the quality nutrition in what you eat...I eat about 1500 calories a day, mostly lean meats, fruits, veggies, healthy snacks and one treat on workout days. I lose about 1.5 a week. I workout 5-6 days a week. Try adding a day of fitness and watching your carbs...I am a wellness coach, a fitness instructor and have lost over 80 pounds total...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    stacynoell wrote: »
    Its not just about the calories, but about the quality nutrition in what you eat...I eat about 1500 calories a day, mostly lean meats, fruits, veggies, healthy snacks and one treat on workout days. I lose about 1.5 a week. I workout 5-6 days a week. Try adding a day of fitness and watching your carbs...I am a wellness coach, a fitness instructor and have lost over 80 pounds total...

When it comes to weight loss, it absolutely is about the calories. Carbohydrates aren't going to make a difference to OP's plans to lose 2 pounds a week (unless she has a medical condition that she hasn't yet disclosed).
  • stacynoell
    Options

When it comes to weight loss, it absolutely is about the calories. Carbohydrates aren't going to make a difference to OP's plans to lose 2 pounds a week (unless she has a medical condition that she hasn't yet disclosed).

A 250 calorie honey bun, a 250 protein shake and a 250 calorie salad with grilled chicken are definitely not the same nutrition wise...its not JUST about the calories...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

A 250 calorie honey bun, a 250 protein shake and a 250 calorie salad with grilled chicken are definitely not the same nutrition wise...its not JUST about the calories...

But nutrition doesn't change weight loss.

No one argued they contained the same nutrients.
  • erinc5
    Options

Just note that 1250 calculated by MFP will be different than the goal calculated by a TDEE calculator like scooby's because the latter takes exercise into account, MFP does not.

No. This is wrong.

Why do you think there is a big difference between Scooby and MFP calculators? They are both TDEE calculators. Scooby does NOT take into account exercise if you pick "desk job", just like MFP's "sedentary" setting. If you choose exercise with Scooby, it will take it into account, just like if you choose "active" on MFP. Only difference I really see is that MFP makes you select how much you want to lose per week (1 lb, 2lb, etc..) , whereas Scooby has it as percentage deficits (15%, 20%, etcc). MFP sedentary at 1 lb per week has me eating 1410 and Scooby desk job at 20% calorie reduction has me at 1470.

Putting OP into Scooby with desk job settings and 25% calorie reduction puts her at around 1480 and she will still be able to eat back exercise calories and lose weight. If she has a 20% calorie reduction - it puts her around 1600 and she will still be able to eat back exercise calories and lose weight.

I think the main takeaway is just that 2 lbs a week is quite aggressive. OP can try 1250 cals plus exercise and see if it sustainable. But she should be able to lose weight eating even 1600 at her stats right now, it will just take longer and is less aggressive of a goal.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

OP asked about weight loss. She asked about calories, not *what* she should eat.

Nobody is arguing that all foods are the same nutritionally. For that matter, 200 calories of broccoli and 200 calories of salmon aren't the same nutritionally. So what? That's why we, ideally, eat a variety of foods. Not just honey buns. Not just protein shakes. Not just chicken.

Nobody has ever argued that all foods are the same nutritionally. The argument is that weight loss is created by a calorie deficit.
  • stacynoell
    Options

It did for me...I eat more calories and have lost 80 pounds...my doctor suggested I change the way I eat and it worked for me...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »

No. This is wrong.

Why do you think there is a big difference between Scooby and MFP calculators? They are both TDEE calculators. Scooby does NOT take into account exercise if you pick "desk job", just like MFP's "sedentary" setting. If you choose exercise with Scooby, it will take it into account, just like if you choose "active" on MFP. Only difference I really see is that MFP makes you select how much you want to lose per week (1 lb, 2lb, etc..) , whereas Scooby has it as percentage deficits (15%, 20%, etcc). MFP sedentary at 1 lb per week has me eating 1410 and Scooby desk job at 20% calorie reduction has me at 1470.

Putting OP into Scooby with desk job settings and 25% calorie reduction puts her at around 1480 and she will still be able to eat back exercise calories and lose weight. If she has a 20% calorie reduction - it puts her around 1600 and she will still be able to eat back exercise calories and lose weight.

I think the main takeaway is just that 2 lbs a week is quite aggressive. OP can try 1250 cals plus exercise and see if it sustainable. But she should be able to lose weight eating even 1600 at her stats right now, it will just take longer and is less aggressive of a goal.

No...MFP is NOT a TDEE calculator. It calculates NEAT.

Of course if you pick the "no exercise" option on Scooby's, then exercise, you'll need to add those calories back, same as MFP.

I'll grant that Scooby's doesn't give you an option to change your overall daily activity level (which is not the same thing as your exercise level)...typically I prefer the calculator at IIFYM for this reason over Scooby's.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It did for me...I eat more calories and have lost 80 pounds...my doctor suggested I change the way I eat and it worked for me...

If you somehow have the ability to only lose weight when you consume calories from certain foods, advice from your very unique situation isn't going to be helpful for others.

For the rest of us, the calories in food determine whether or not we will lose, maintain, or gain weight. If your body has an alternate pathway for obtaining energy, it's not going to be relevant.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I suggest contacting one of the major medical universities' research center then. They would be interested in the only known exception to the laws of thermodynamics.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I suggest contacting one of the major medical universities' research center then. They would be interested in the only known exception to the laws of thermodynamics.

It wouldn't have to be an exception. Lots of nutrition scientists are beginning to suggest this same thing. Calorie source matters. Calories in food per lab vs. calories absorbed from food in a human body are not always the same.
  • erinc5
    edited January 2016
    Options

No...MFP is NOT a TDEE calculator. It calculates NEAT.

Of course if you pick the "no exercise" option on Scooby's, then exercise, you'll need to add those calories back, same as MFP.

I'll grant that Scooby's doesn't give you an option to change your overall daily activity level (which is not the same thing as your exercise level)...typically I prefer the calculator at IIFYM for this reason over Scooby's.

Okay. So Scooby and MFP are still pretty much the same thing - only difference is one is calculated using percentages, the other using lbs per weeks goals. Scooby does give you the option to change activity levels! Just like MFP. The calorie goals for both are all based on if you select sedentary, lightly active, active, etc combined with how aggressive a loss you want... Same exact situation as MFP.

I just plugged my info into all three (as sedentary) and I'm the same on all 3 within less than 100 cals for each.

Anyways, my point in this thread is that OP can lose weight while eating more than 1250!