Today is a bust.

Options
To anyone who's listening...
Today is a bust. I have (stupidly) been weighing myself every day after having some weight loss success over the past couple weeks, only to see the scale creep higher and higher this week. This morning I was up 2 lbs from last week and I haven't changed anything. I've been tracking every morsel of food I put in my mouth everyday, and consistently eating the same amount of calories and yet this week it's like my body is saying this no longer works. I would expect to maintain or plateau but to gain? So disappointing. Stupidly I turned to food, as I so often do, and binged all morning. My cals are so high today there's no chance of recovery other than just trying to eat mindfully for the rest of the day now that I feel like my "binge" is over. I'm so disappointed in myself that I let myself get like this and feeling really hopeless about my weight loss today. Tomorrow will be better but any words of encouragement would be amazing to get me through today. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Now that you know it affects you like this, stop weighing every day. Immediately.

Your body fluctuates constantly. You could be retaining water, either due to your period approaching or too much sodium. Or even muscle repair if you did a good workout. Since you react poorly to these fluctuations (they trigger a binge) weigh yourself once a week at most. This will give you a more accurate perception of what is going on.

Weight loss is never a straight line. It's got peaks and drops like a drawing of a mountain. It will go up and it will go down. As long as you are tracking everything accurately (are you measuring your food rather than eyeballing?) and staying within your calories, the overall trend will be down. Science has proven so.

Stick with it, don't give up, stay off the scale.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. If weighing yourself triggers you then don't weigh yourself so often. That said, weigh your food so you know how much you're really eating. And yes, stick with it. As for the binge, blow it off. You made a mistake. That's something we all do.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Now that you know it affects you like this, stop weighing every day. Immediately.

Your body fluctuates constantly. You could be retaining water, either due to your period approaching or too much sodium. Or even muscle repair if you did a good workout. Since you react poorly to these fluctuations (they trigger a binge) weigh yourself once a week at most. This will give you a more accurate perception of what is going on.

Weight loss is never a straight line. It's got peaks and drops like a drawing of a mountain. It will go up and it will go down. As long as you are tracking everything accurately (are you measuring your food rather than eyeballing?) and staying within your calories, the overall trend will be down. Science has proven so.

So much this.
  • beckyhunnable
    beckyhunnable Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I have also been weighing all my food and tracking super close. I even tracked my binge today? But you're all right. I need to stop obsessing and go with the flow. The consistency will eventually pay off. Thanks all.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day. I use an app called Libra to track my weight. While it records your daily weight, or however frequently you prefer to weigh in, what I use it for is the trend feature. It tracks your weight loss, tells you how much you've changed over the week and month, and even projects your weight based on your changes. It's really helpful for visualizing when you're going to hit certain goals. Maybe something like that would be helpful for you?
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it can be. We all have days like this...just do better tomorrow. You're worth it.
  • blazewarrior
    blazewarrior Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Only use the scales once a week your weight can fluctuate day to day so your only kidding yourself.
    weigh yourself same day each week and in the morning that way you will get a more accurate reading
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Think long term like the stock market. Daily fluctuations occur but over the long period, you're generally losing weight and feeling better, no?
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Depending on my cycle, I will sometimes find my weight jump as much as five pounds in a day. That's why it's recommended to weigh only once a week and stick with it for a few weeks before giving up or doing anything drastic like a big calorie drop. What I do to keep it in my head that fluctuations are normal is to weigh once or twice a week and record it, no matter if it goes up or down. Then I immediately go to the reports tab and look at the long term weight graph. Yes you will see peaks where my weight jumps but overall it is trending down.
    Don't let one bad weigh in get you down. Or your reaction to it. You saw your mistake, learn from it and now go right back to eating wonderfully with your next meal. Don't wait until tomorrow to restart. You know what to do!
  • nvcrinternnumber1562
    Options

Agreed.