Controversial Ad

Options

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I've watched that commercial, I've never noticed the size of the woman debating on having the cheesecake. Most fit people don't indulge in those types of things on a regular basis so her thought process seemed normal to me. Do they think it would have worked better if a bigger woman were debating on having the cheesecake? I don't think so. To me the commercial is about healthier choices.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Didin't even think of it an an eating disorder way. I think everyone struggles everyday to make the right choices.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I commented on this topic in F&N but I think people are just overly sensitive. I can't tell you how many times I've had that mental battle and I found the commercial to be humorous and true.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I thought the commercial was funny and it seemed normal to me too.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    In a light way, are they trying to say that we have eating disorders?
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    When I saw this commercial I honestly just thought "hmm yea that's exactly what my thought process would be." If they are really looking to place the blame somewhere maybe they should start with the fashion industry...
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    In a light way, are they trying to say that we have eating disorders?

Some people would probably say that we do, since we log every single thing we eat.
  • cranmuffin
    cranmuffin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I react the same way. If I'm planning on having cheesecake, I adjust my meals or my exercise to compensate.
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What I think is interesting is that the 1st girl is supposed to represent the "fat" society, but in the still shot of the video she is about the same as the "fit" girl, just shorter. How then, can the writer claim that the "even skinnier coworker" made the right choice - all you can see of either of them is their shoulders and face.

Alphonse (the writer) should lighten up as should the National Eating Disorder Assoc. One commercial is not going to cause an otherwise mentally healthy person to develop an eating disorder. Those disorders come from inside the victim's psyche and feelings of minimal self worth - not from a stupid commercial. And IF the commercial does trigger an eating disorder, then that person was on the cusp anyway.

The claim by the NEDA is ridiculous and Yoplait should not have caved.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    They're the experts, but I think that there is a difference in someone who is choosing a yogurt over a cheesecake and someone who is trying to restrict their calories to the lowest point possible. On the other hand, there is the issue of guilt and food relationships. Maybe that is what these people were aiming at.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    that is utterly ridiculous! I do the same thing constantly! I had an eating disorder in the past, but just because I think of different ways to fit something in does not mean I am going back to my old ways! I agree that a lot of blame should be placed on the fashion industry and its models! And that lady didn't look guilty at the end, it looked like she was enjoying that raspberry cheesecake yogurt immensely!
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I saw this, my thought was "you can make better choices that tast just as good" I wasn't thinking in terms of what size the two women were. I suppose if you have an eating disorder, it really wouldn't matter what the commercial says. It's really your view of self and anything can trigger the bad thoughts. Even if the first woman opted for the cheese cake, that could send a negative messsage too. I think sometimes we read too much into the simplest statement.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    The person from the association wasn't saying that it would cause someone to get an eating disorder but that it would have a negative effect on someone who already had an eating disorder.

I also don't see anything to bad in it but I don't have an eating disorder. I know that there are other things don't stike me as offensive because I'm not that large, of colour, physically able, etc....but I try to be sensitive when they will seem that way to others.

I think it's good that GM pulled the ad when there was a complaint, even if it wouldn't have bothered very many people. (And the second woman who was commended for having lost weight was very skinny.)
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I think it's good that GM pulled the ad when there was a complaint, even if it wouldn't have bothered very many people. (And the second woman who was commended for having lost weight was very skinny.)

I will have to respectfully disagree. We have become so politically correct in this country that you can't look at someone without fear of a lawsuit. I'm not saying that some limits are necessary, but the more rights we take away (in this case, freedom of speech) the more Orwellian we are becoming. We're not too far from newspeak as it is.