Juicing

Options
I have had a juicer for a while now and only used it a few times. Wondering if anyone could educate me on the benefits of juicing and maybe give me some recipes! I am more interested in juicing veggies rather than fruits.. I do realize fruits help sweeten the juice so if anyone has a high veggie-low fruit recipe that would be great!

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Benefits of juicing;
    It is great for the elderly if they have a hard time chewing (masticating) food.

That is the only benefit I can think of.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Benefits of juice: Many people enjoy the taste of juice. It is a way to get (some) of the benefits of fruits and vegetables into your diet. For those who struggle to eat enough, fruit juices can be an excellent source of concentrated calories.
  • VeloRat1969
    VeloRat1969 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Benefits: all the vitamins and minerals in 20 carrots, without having to eat 20 carrots.

One of my favorite things to do with my juicer is to juice an onion, about 4 cloves of garlic, a carrot and a stalk of celery and add that to a pot of dried beans that I'm cooking. Imparts amazing flavor to the beans, much more so than chopping up those veggies and putting them in the cooking water...

My juicer will also mash up just about anything, so I freeze bananas and berries and mangoes then put them through the juicer to make something like icecream without all the cream.

It will also do the same thing to nuts - fresh cashew butter anyone?
  • jessicaeccles
    jessicaeccles Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Benefits: all the vitamins and minerals in 20 carrots, without having to eat 20 carrots.

One of my favorite things to do with my juicer is to juice an onion, about 4 cloves of garlic, a carrot and a stalk of celery and add that to a pot of dried beans that I'm cooking. Imparts amazing flavor to the beans, much more so than chopping up those veggies and putting them in the cooking water...

My juicer will also mash up just about anything, so I freeze bananas and berries and mangoes then put them through the juicer to make something like icecream without all the cream.

Wow never thought of using the juice i make for cooking! Great idea! Thank you!!
  • ricolifee
    ricolifee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Search for the documentary "Fat, sick and nearly dead" it's really interesting and all about juicing.

It's on Netflix, but if you don't have it... you can stream it on www.alluc.com - search for it. Use movshare/ vodlocker/ vidbull as a host. Close the ads, and hit play :)

Let me know what you think!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ricolifee wrote: »
    Search for the documentary "Fat, sick and nearly dead" it's really interesting and all about juicing.

It's on Netflix, but if you don't have it... you can stream it on www.alluc.com - search for it. Use movshare/ vodlocker/ vidbull as a host. Close the ads, and hit play :)

This documentary is full of bad info and fear mongering.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

just out of interest

20 medium carrots =500 calories which is a huge number for a drink

bvvl8iv1kgkf.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    ricolifee wrote: »

This documentary is full of bad info and fear mongering.

+1. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead isn't a "documentary". It's a hack-job propaganda video full of pseudo/junk science, with an underlying motive to sell juicers.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, the main benefit to juicing is you flood your body with mega doses of nutrition/enzymes. Because there is no digestion required, as the pulp has been removed, your cells are nourished very rapidly after consumption.

No.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In a nutshell, the main benefit to juicing is you flood your body with mega doses of nutrition/enzymes. Because there is no digestion required, as the pulp has been removed, your cells are nourished very rapidly after consumption.

That's not how the body works .. at all
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    There is no big benefit of juicing. It's almost as good for you as eating whole fruit or vegetable (since you do lose some nutrients in the juicing process).
    I drink juice as a snack sometimes, and it's usually betroot, lemon and apple - since I don't like the taste of the beetroot on it's own, but enjoy the benefits of it.
    Or during summer it's a great snack because I can make a nice cold drink, for me it's more refreshing sometimes.
    It's all the preference, but make sure to calculate the calories in.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Benefits of juicing
    • Juices taste nice
    • You can control what goes in them (no added sugar, no preservatives, no "from concentrate"
    • You can make fun juices not available in stores - carrot and tomato with tumeric, orange and cucumber, raspberry, gazpacho juice

Rubbish things about juicing
    • Cleaning the juicer afterwards :(
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Benefits of juicing
    • Juices taste nice
    • You can control what goes in them (no added sugar, no preservatives, no "from concentrate"
    • You can make fun juices not available in stores - carrot and tomato with tumeric, orange and cucumber, raspberry, gazpacho juice

Rubbish things about juicing
    • Cleaning the juicer afterwards :(

This is all true
    If someone just likes drinking home made juices then that's fine ! But op- don't believe that juicing is some magical thing. I personally prefer eating the fruits and veggies .
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

This is not factual
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Juicing is best just used if you like fruits or vegitable juices and forget anything of the hype that claims anything else. I prefer to eat the whole foods since you also get fibre but I do enjoy juice as well. Only issue is that if you juice fruits is that you will get a lot of calories without being filled up so take that into consideration if you are trying to lose weight.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Notice: no one has stated "I juiced and it made me lose more weight than I would have otherwise."
  • jessicaeccles
    jessicaeccles Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Wouldn't want to be juicing to lose weight... Mostly because I have a really hard time getting in all of the vegetables I would like to be eating. I do realize I'd be losing some nutrients in juicing, but I feel like losing some is better than me not eating them at all.. Feel free to let me know if I am totally wrong though. (Also-the reason I have a hard time eating them is because I am a pretty picky veggie eater and in a juice I have found that I can eat things I hate and disguise the taste with half of a lemon in the juice)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Wouldn't want to be juicing to lose weight... Mostly because I have a really hard time getting in all of the vegetables I would like to be eating. I do realize I'd be losing some nutrients in juicing, but I feel like losing some is better than me not eating them at all.. Feel free to let me know if I am totally wrong though. (Also-the reason I have a hard time eating them is because I am a pretty picky veggie eater and in a juice I have found that I can eat things I hate and disguise the taste with half of a lemon in the juice)

That's a reasonably good reason to try drinking some of your vegetables, but you'd still benefit more from finding a way to get the whole vegetable in your diet (that fibre and stuff is important!) whether that's dicing vegetables very fine and adding it to ground meat or sauces, experimenting with different cooking methods, trying a pureed vegetable soup (delicious with a squash base) etc etc.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Exact opposite. By removing the fiber which slows digestion, you are not allowing the time needed for the nutrients to enter the bloodstream, just the carbs. Basically, juicing gives you a big glucose hit with none of the benefits of the veggies and fruit you just juiced.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

huh?