Chest strap HRM

Options
Hi, I play a lot of Netball but during matches you can't wear watches etc. Would the heart rate chest strap store the data until it could be synced to the watch part of say a Polar FT7 or does it have to be a simultaneous sync? I'd love to know how many calories I burn during a match! Thanks.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I believe that it has to be within a certain distance to transmit to the device. This is just a transmitter and does not store data.

I hope this makes sense..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would work, and the number would be meaningless anyway. HRMs are for tracking heart rate and are only relatively accurate when the activity is steady state cardio. Netball would have too many peaks and valleys which would completely exaggerate the calorie burn number you would see anyway.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I don't think it would work, and the number would be meaningless anyway. HRMs are for tracking heart rate and are only relatively accurate when the activity is steady state cardio. Netball would have too many peaks and valleys which would completely exaggerate the calorie burn number you would see anyway.

Firstbeat technology is reported in the lit to actually address this. HR to burn curves appear more accurate for non SS than prior systems, certainly in the acceptable 95%. But still the low cost HRM straps generally don't store data.

The straps that store and forward data are either the TRI or SWIM straps from Garmin. I imagine others exist. Why not wear the watch as a clip on, on the bra strap.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The only one that I know of that stores data is the the Garmin one for swimming (only syncs with 2 or 3 Garmin watches). But the Polar H7 device runs on Bluetooth and can sync to a device or phone up to about 30 feet away or so (theoretically, and assuming nothing is blocking the signal). Not sure if it can connect to the FT7, but it would sync with the Polar Flow app on a phone that it was paired with.

ETA: for that matter, an ANT+ based monitor like a Garmin or Suunto also can transmit theoretically to 30 meters or so. So maybe there's a solution in there for you somewhere using your phone on the sidelines.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Firstbeat technology is reported in the lit to actually address this. HR to burn curves appear more accurate for non SS than prior systems, certainly in the acceptable 95%. But still the low cost HRM straps generally don't store data.

The straps that store and forward data are either the TRI or SWIM straps from Garmin. I imagine others exist. Why not wear the watch as a clip on, on the bra strap.

Firstbeat claims accuracy errors from 7-10%. Better than previous? Of course...still quite a bit of error.
  • Mrskmacca
    Mrskmacca Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really need to up my fitness as I struggle with a whole game. I will be doing more HIIT and weight training in between matches I suppose HRM aren't any good for those activities either? I'd just like to up my endurance and general fitness as I'm team captain and need to lead be example :#:#
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Firstbeat claims accuracy errors from 7-10%. Better than previous? Of course...still quite a bit of error.

Hmmm, ok, I saw 5% on athletes in one paper. 7-10% is about what we see with wrist worn units (for SS) so yeah, quite a bit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mrskmacca wrote: »
    I will be doing more HIIT and weight training

So if you want to increase your endurance, you need to be doing endurance training. The weight training will be beneficial to your game, but HIIT is a waste of time in the context.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mrskmacca wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I really need to up my fitness as I struggle with a whole game. I will be doing more HIIT and weight training in between matches I suppose HRM aren't any good for those activities either? I'd just like to up my endurance and general fitness as I'm team captain and need to lead be example :#:#

Not terrible. But ok for HIIT. If you are struggling with your fitness level for the sport start looking at developing cardiovascular system (running) with some upper body movement work (plyometrics, boxing, tabatha - style workouts) or building up upper body strength and then power workouts.

Good luck.

Clearly measuring is important to you. Get a good watch, find a strap that allows off wrist use and go. Data will help drive the mentality of getting it done. Look into the web tools you want to use like Garmin connect or the polar site or TrainingPeaks before you make your choice.

Oh, and Google DCRainmaker. All the info about HRMs at your fingertips.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Wahoo TickrX stores the data.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Hmmm, ok, I saw 5% on athletes in one paper. 7-10% is about what we see with wrist worn units (for SS) so yeah, quite a bit.

36xa5a71xcsf.png

From here...
    https://www.firstbeat.com/app/uploads/2015/10/white_paper_energy_expenditure_estimation.pdf

Just glanced at it though so could be reading wrong.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The white paper also indicates the practical use is for "light physical activity or physical training", and the model is based on "submaximal steady state and maximal incremental bicycle ergometer (Ergoline, Bitz, Germany) exercises and real-life tasks (RLT) were carried out during two different days separated by 1-2 weeks. Why do advocates of HRM always forget or ignore this?!

Given that there is no exact MET category match, it's slightly better than stabbing at the dark. That's if the session is aerobic and steady state in nature. If it gives "[m]otivation to more active lifestyle", it's working as prescribed. Good luck.