How do you train for a 5k?

Options
I want to do a 5k at the end of july and I was wondering how someone would train for something like this. I am not in the best shape but I think this will keep me motivated to keep working out! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Google the Couch to 5K program. I'm getting ready to start it too. :) There are also a lot of people on here doing it.
  • CaelaXO
    CaelaXO Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch to 5K program! So far i really like it! Ive been wanting to run, which never happens! I have the app for my phone and I love it! I highly recommend it!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yep the c25k!!!! I love the app on my phone too!!!! Good luck!!!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great but it's for someone who really can't run at all to start. If you can already run a mile or so, then I would google Hal Higdon's 5K training for novice.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    I did couch to 5k last summer and it really works! Good luck yall! It's a great program and yes, I'm still running!!!
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the C25K program, but a few of my friends have done it and said it's nice. I personally have just started going to the trail system around here and started running and tracking myself using GPS software called SportyPal that tells me my avg speeds so I can see my progress and log my running. It shows where I've ran on a map, calories burned, etc. I used to be good to finish a few miles without being totally tired. Two days ago I ran 5 miles strait without a single stop, and if I'm feeling good I will run 7 miles, big difference for me. It helps to have a trail system that is scenic to keep your mind on something else.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I could barely run 30 seconds 3 weeks ago but I am doing Couch 2 5k. I am week 3 day 2 and running 3 mins at a time. It is a great program and the phone app is awesome.
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree the couch to 5 k is a great start its pretty much how i started running. I am now training again for my 2nd half marathon :) Not only that but my whole family started running with me and we are all doing the "fat *kitten* trail run" google it if you like that is what its called :) Best of luck!!! Happy Running
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Yeap couch to 5k. If you don't have the app on your phone, you can get the free podcast from www.c25k.com. Just scroll down to podcast and the first 2 I know have music. I love them and have used them up to my 7th week. But now that I don't do the running intervals anymore and just do a straight 25 minute runs I just listen to my music. And keep an eye on the time. But, these podcast tell you when to run and when to walk.
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great but it's for someone who really can't run at all to start. If you can already run a mile or so, then I would google Hal Higdon's 5K training for novice.

Thanks for posting this question and for the tip to this training program. I am already running a mile and the couch to 5K was like going backwards. The Hal Higdon plan looks really doable for me. Thanks!
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started walking the course. After a week or so I started jogging/ walking. I would set little goals for myself. For example, I would jog for a little while, and when I started to feel tired I would say, "okay you can make it to the next street sign", or "light pole" something within sight but far enough away to really push myself. Then I would walk a little while and start jogging again. It took me 6 weeks doing it that way before I could run the entire course.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Yeap couch to 5k. If you don't have the app on your phone, you can get the free podcast from www.c25k.com. Just scroll down to podcast and the first 2 I know have music. I love them and have used them up to my 7th week. But now that I don't do the running intervals anymore and just do a straight 25 minute runs I just listen to my music. And keep an eye on the time. But, these podcast tell you when to run and when to walk.

ETA: I was already running when I started this program so I skipped a head a couple of weeks. But, if you are already running some you can start from the beginning and use it to increase your speed.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i know many people who have used the couch to 5k, and of those only 2 were unable to complete it.

(I don't count myself in those stats! i was too bored with it, so i did it on my own.)

When i started I couldn't run beyond 7min.
    So i started with 7min, and would run for 7, walk for 5. repeat for as long as i was working out . I made sure I got in atleast 3 runs per week, and added a minute and a half of running each week for 2weeks, then i was at 10min straight.
    (so by week 3 each time I ran it would be: would run for 10, walk for 5, run for 10 walk for 5, run for 10....)

At that point I was able to add 3 minutes each week.

Once I hit the 20min mark I knew it was just a matter of pushing myself. and so thats what I did.

Good luck!
  • Karlirosem
    Karlirosem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I googled the couch to 5k and I am going to do it with a friend! Thank you for all of the extremely helpful info!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Google "Couch to 5k"

If you have never ran before this is a great program to get your started!

GOOD LUCK!