If I'm trying to lose weight should I still drink protein

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    So I've been eating clean and drinking only water but been wondering if I drink protein shakes will it help in losing weight or will it not help

Two points:

1) it's about your energy balance so it can help if you feel you need more protein but don't want to eat extra calories to get it. A good example is you can get protein gel packs that give you 20g for about 80 calories so almost pure protein and easy to fit into a calorie budget.

2) if you really want to eat "clean" ask yourself if a highly processed food product really qualifies.

The decision is yours but protein suppliments can have a place if you want them but you don't necessarily need them.
  • jvelazquez7212
    jvelazquez7212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay so this is how my day usually starts
    2 scrambled eggs
    1 cup of oatmeal
    8oz protein shake

For lunch
    Tuna/chicken Brest with 1cup of salad

Workout
    30min cardio
    Then depending on the day isolated straight training maybe 6 different workouts 3sets of 10
    Dinner cup of ground turkey 1cup of brown rice and 1cup of baby carrots and protein shake
  • jvelazquez7212
    Options
    When I started I was told by a personal trainer that I weighed 380 and that was an estimate because the scale they had only went up to 280 as of last night I'm 365 and I'm in taking 2200 calories or less a day is that calorie intake to high or should I drop it even more
  • jvelazquez7212
    Options
    See also when I had that session with the trainer he said that most people take 1gram of protein to their body weight but he said since my weight was so night that I should just shoot for 288grams since that was my body percent of muscle i think not to sure on the last part I'll ask for the notes he took down and I'll post them
  • jvelazquez7212
    Options
    Okay here is another question I have what do I need in order to figure out how many calories I need to be in taking
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Quest's salted caramel protein powder is amazing! I drink one for breakfast--taste and convenience and often one in th afternoon, depending on my schedule. About 20g each, they're yummy and do the job.
  • ck763074
    ck763074 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know one of my goals right now is to maintain my muscle while losing weight/fat. I still drink protein usually 2 times a day. If you track it and still are at a deficit then it works. You might be a little light on actual nutrients in food since you are probably already eating light, but it's all about your goals.
  • Brn2blossom
    Brn2blossom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To stay in my calorie goal, work out and meet my protein goals I HAVE TO use protein shakes.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Whey is not "fake protein"
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Okay here is another question I have what do I need in order to figure out how many calories I need to be in taking

enter your stats into MFP and how much weight you want to lose and eat to that calorie goal. most will suggest a food scale to weigh everything to be accurate and to make sure you arent overeating,and log properly. mfp will give you how many calories and have a basic amount of how many grams of protein,fats and carbs.
  • jvelazquez7212
    Options

enter your stats into MFP and how much weight you want to lose and eat to that calorie goal. most will suggest a food scale to weigh everything to be accurate and to make sure you arent overeating,and log properly. mfp will give you how many calories and have a basic amount of how many grams of protein,fats and carbs.

Thanks will do
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if you are female no less than 1200 and male no less than 1500 calories.
  • jvelazquez7212
    Options
    qjillz5czh6g.png

• jvelazquez7212
    Options
    qjillz5czh6g.png
    That seams high that's why I did 2200 calories because I don't eat more than 2500 i took an average of what I was eating for five days and I chose 2200 because it was lower
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    At 365 lbs (I believe you said that was your current weight, right?) You could probably eat a bit higher than 2200 and still lose at a pretty good rate.

Ultimately - it comes down to trial and error. If you can sustain a healthy rate of weight loss at 2200 and not feel fatigued or out of energy, then go for it. If you do find yourself running out of steam, or constantly fighting the urge to binge, perhaps a add a few hundred more calories per day, until you find the 'sweet spot' where you can satisfy yourself, but still lose weight.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    At 365 lbs (I believe you said that was your current weight, right?) You could probably eat a bit higher than 2200 and still lose at a pretty good rate.

Ultimately - it comes down to trial and error. If you can sustain a healthy rate of weight loss at 2200 and not feel fatigued or out of energy, then go for it. If you do find yourself running out of steam, or constantly fighting the urge to binge, perhaps a add a few hundred more calories per day, until you find the 'sweet spot' where you can satisfy yourself, but still lose weight.

^ Solid advice right there.
  • jvelazquez7212
    Options

Good deal I'll keep that in mind
  • wozniaks
    wozniaks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes I can't eat breakfast and it works and helps me get my protein
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Whey is not "fake protein"

Not sure if there is such a thing but whey is a processed food product and very highly processed food especially when you get to the iso whey powders.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Why drink fake protein when you can eat the tasty stuff?

@Wheelhouse15 I was responding to this comment