Could I lose 3 lbs in a 11 days safely?

Options

Replies

• DaisyBlinks
    DaisyBlinks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mkh858 wrote: »
    How much time did it take you to lose the first 11 lbs? It's possible to lose 3 pounds in 11 days but I think the mindset here might be setting you up for frustration and disappointment. The numbers on the scale can be influenced by so many factors anyway that fretting over three pounds is setting yourself up to fail eventually, you know?

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? That could easily influence your weight by three pounds in either direction.

It took 2 weeks to lose 10lbs, so now at 5 weeks I've lost 1lbs. I know the first 10lbs was all water. So now my goals are 1-2lbs a week..I breastfeed so I don't have a menstrual cycle. Yippie! Lol jk

I was wondering if you were breastfeeding and meant to ask. I feel like breastfeeding can be even worse than a period for messing with your weight. There's some crazy hormones involved that can make you hold onto water at random times when your babies need more milk for whatever reason. I had a hard time losing consistently while breastfeeding. I think you need to allow yourself so more flexibility for your goals. Try to remember that the goal is fat loss, not necessarily weight loss. If you're eating at a deficit then you are losing fat, even if it's not showing up on the scale. I don't know if you're planning on weaning any time soon but that will probably mess with your weight too.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    That's it. I am going to start tracking the themes of each week on MFP. This is clearly "Can I lose X in Y weeks?" week.

So if I asked can I lose 70lbs in 2 years would you say I could do it? Of course that seems healthy. I didn't
    misskarne wrote: »
    Seriously? It's a KIDS BIRTHDAY PARTY. No-one will be able to tell and no-one will care!

Thank you for your thoughts, but I need advice not criticism!

Not criticism - sorry you're taking it that way.

Can you lose 3 lbs on the scale in 11 days...of course. Pretty easily.

If it's a mental victory for you, then go for it.

The point though, is that we don't ever really have a "one true weight"...our scale weight is constantly fluctuating +/- within a 5 lb or so range. I might weigh 160 when I get out of bed. Use the restroom then weigh 158. Eat breakfast and weight 158.4. Drive to work and weigh 157.2. Eat lunch and weigh 161. Etc etc.

Then why did you say nobody will care? That sounded critical to me. I weight myself once a week same day, no clothes and before breakfast. I know my weight can fluctuate through the day but I'm not weighing myself everyday.

Sorry to answer for someone else, but nobody said "no one will care." People said no one will know and "it won't make a lick of difference." They said this because three pounds makes almost no visual difference, not because you shouldn't be proud of or track weight loss. You added the criticism.

The fact is, no one will notice your weight loss for a while, unless you tell them. And once you tell them, believe me, you'll get a hell of a lot of criticism and general critiquing IRL.
  • mkh858
    mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How much time did it take you to lose the first 11 lbs? It's possible to lose 3 pounds in 11 days but I think the mindset here might be setting you up for frustration and disappointment. The numbers on the scale can be influenced by so many factors anyway that fretting over three pounds is setting yourself up to fail eventually, you know?

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? That could easily influence your weight by three pounds in either direction.

It took 2 weeks to lose 10lbs, so now at 5 weeks I've lost 1lbs. I know the first 10lbs was all water. So now my goals are 1-2lbs a week..I breastfeed so I don't have a menstrual cycle. Yippie! Lol jk

I was wondering if you were breastfeeding and meant to ask. I feel like breastfeeding can be even worse than a period for messing with your weight. There's some crazy hormones involved that can make you hold onto water at random times when your babies need more milk for whatever reason. I had a hard time losing consistently while breastfeeding. I think you need to allow yourself so more flexibility for your goals. Try to remember that the goal is fat loss, not necessarily weight loss. If you're eating at a deficit then you are losing fat, even if it's not showing up on the scale. I don't know if you're planning on weaning any time soon but that will probably mess with your weight too.

My twins will be a year old and I plan to wean them down to 3 feeds a day.when you say probably mess with my weight..does that mean I could gain it all back? Thanks!
  • DaisyBlinks
    DaisyBlinks Posts: 18 Member
    Options

My twins will be a year old and I plan to wean them down to 3 feeds a day.when you say probably mess with my weight..does that mean I could gain it all back? Thanks!

No I don't think you'll necessarily gain it all back. Your hormones just go crazy and that could lead to a lot of water retention and what you're seeing on the scale might not accurately reflect what you've lost for a few weeks. Mostly I just mean that 'weight loss isn't linear' and all. Your weight will go up and down so having really specific goals is just setting yourself up for disappointment. I think that's especially true for women going through hormonal changes (breastfeeding/weaning being big ones).
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I remember my health visitor and my post birth group leader saying breastfeeding actually helped weight loss. I might go looking for a study and see if there's any evidence to that effect....
  • star1407
    Options
    Keep with the mini goals but maybe add in some measurements of different parts of your body, sometimes we lose inches instead of pounds
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    Eh, don't listen to these negative people. Sure you can do it! I mean... 2lb in a week is totally doable. I think 3lb in 11 days is quite reasonable. Do it!

^ I agree!

You have a mini-goal set, you go for it! From what I hear you say, you're not doing it for anyone, but for you! You want to set mini-goals and I think that's a great way to do it.

Have a great party with the twins 1st birthday! <3
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

I am also breastfeeding (he just turned 15 months) and I have to agree that bf can play havoc with the scale weight. I have always had a hard time losing in the first year, but now it's coming off more easily (though still only about .5 pound a week, but then I'm not so careful with calories).

You could lose 3 pounds in 11 days. Some of it might even be fat ("real" loss). But, on the other hand, you could do everything perfectly right and see the scale up by a pound. It's important to have small goals that don't seem overwhelming, but it is also important to realize that weight goes up and down through a week, often with very little explanation why. You want to see an overall downward trend, but there are going to be a lot of peaks and valleys in the process. So, go for it, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen. Just keep working, day by day.
  • mkh858
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Keep with the mini goals but maybe add in some measurements of different parts of your body, sometimes we lose inches instead . Thanks!
  • mkh858
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    I remember my health visitor and my post birth group leader saying breastfeeding actually helped weight loss. I might go looking for a study and see if there's any evidence to .
    I hope not..lol cuz if I wean I'm worried I won't have that extra calorie burn..thanks any tips would be helpful
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I understand the importance of hitting a goal by a certain date even a small goal like this one (which is totally doable). Make sure you drink lots of water and go low on sodium for the next 11 days. Also dont do a massive workout the day before as I find after a big workout I retain water for a day or 2.
  • star1407
    Options
    No probs. The important thing is to give yourself achievable goals to boost your confidence. Give yourself options to win not fail. Good luck and I hope the party goes well
  • mkh858
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

I am also breastfeeding (he just turned 15 months) and I have to agree that bf can play havoc with the scale weight. I have always had a hard time losing in the first year, but now it's coming off more easily (though still only about .5 pound a week, but then I'm not so careful with calories).

You could lose 3 pounds in 11 days. Some of it might even be fat ("real" loss). But, on the other hand, you could do everything perfectly right and see the scale up by a pound. It's important to have small goals that don't seem overwhelming, but it is also important to realize that weight goes up and down through a week, often with very little explanation why. You want to see an overall downward trend, but there are going to be a lot of peaks and valleys in the process. So, go for it, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen. Just keep working, day by day.

Thank you. Yay 15month..I don't know if I'll be able to nurse that long..
  • AshleyC19912016
    AshleyC19912016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think I'll be able to lose 60 to 70 lbs by Aug 30 !? Is that reasonable?? I wanna be at my goal weight by my birthday. <3
  • mkh858
    Options
    I understand the importance of hitting a goal by a certain date even a small goal like this one (which is totally doable). Make sure you drink lots of water and go low on sodium for the next 11 days. Also dont do a massive workout the day before as I find after a big workout I retain water for a day or 2.

Thank you! You had one of the answers I was looking for. I know I may or may not make my goal. I just wanted to make sure it was safe.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You don't say how long it took you to lose the 11 lbs or what your daily calorie goal is, but I think it's fine to have slightly ambitious goals as long as you're not eating very low calories for a long period of time in order to achieve them and as long as falling short of these goals won't devastate you and make you want to quit. It sounds like that is not the case, so if it motivates you go for it! Good luck.

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, you could, but it would be a very strict diet that you'd have to carefully research. It would be mentally, and possibly physically tough. For three pounds for a kids' birthday party, I don't think it's worth it.

I don't know your size, but I do understand that on a small-framed, short woman, a 5-pound gain looks like 10 would on a bigger person.
  • mkh858
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! My ultimate goal is to feel better and be able to play with my kids. I just made a goal of 220 before my kids birthday and wanted to make sure it was safe. I don't want to kill myself or hurt my supply. Next time I will probably post my words differently and probably should have asked "What is safe enough weight to lose in a 11day?"
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Then why did you say nobody will care? That sounded critical to me. I weight myself once a week same day, no clothes and before breakfast. I know my weight can fluctuate through the day but I'm not weighing myself everyday.

Generating milk and breastfeeding is an "activity" that burns calories. In that sense breastfeeding aids in weight loss since it increases your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), in other words your calories out.

Let me make, even more clear, what others have hinted at. You can weight more today than you did A MONTH AGO, even though you've lost 3-5lbs.

All you need is for this to be in the right time in your monthly cycle (feeling bloated), have exercised hard a couple of days before (water retention to help muscles heal), and have had a nice restaurant meal the night before (water retention due to sodium, plus extra food in your digestive system).

I strongly recommend that you and everyone else start using a trending weight application/program to help you filter out water weight variation and concentrate on the underlying weight level.

Libra Android, Happy Scale iPhone, Trendweight.com which I use (might require a free Fitbit account, fitness band not required), or Weightgrapher.com (allows for manual entry).

as to your three lbs, well, philosophically we have a difference of opinion as to whether losing x by y is a valid motivational strategy.

My suggested alternative strategy would be to concentrate on similar but subtly different goals:

1. Achieve a certain TDEE each a day (one which would probably require increased activity on your part)
    2. Achieve a certain caloric deficit in a day (which shouldn't exceed 20% of your TDEE, unless you are obese, at which point 25% may also be suitable. Since your deficit is a % of TDEE, having a larger TDEE means you can have a larger deficit => bigger weight loss!
    3. Achieve these things over a period of weeks/months, consistently.
    4. The weight will take care of itself.

In general at over 200lbs losing 3lbs in 10 days will neither harm not help you much. You can achieve it easily by starting a low carb regiment 3-5 days before your party. You will regain most of that weight as soon as you return to eating carbs normally.

In terms of losing 3lbs in 10 days with a conventional diet, you are looking at achieving a daily deficit of about 1000 Cal. I would consider this a safe deficit if you have a TDEE of about 5000 Cal a day (4,000 cal a day if you're obese).

MFP will let you set up for this level of deficit by picking 2lbs a week. I personally don't recommend it; even though it is evident that a huge number of people who in my opinion shouldn't pursue this goal does so on a daily basis!

Enjoy your party; pick goals that you can control (I will achieve a 500 Cal deficit) as opposed to ones you don't directly control (I will lose 0.5lbs this week)!
  • jwells62
    jwells62 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think I'll be able to lose 60 to 70 lbs by Aug 30 !? Is that reasonable?? I wanna be at my goal weight by my birthday. <3

50 is probably more reasonable IF you stay the course every single week.