too many carbs, not enough protein

I need help! I never reach my protein goal I only make it to around the mid 50's and I sometimes go over my carbs! Also I don't eat meat but I've had this problem even before that. Please help! Thanks

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It's o.k. to go over your carbs. To eat more foods with protein, increase beans, broccoli, yellow squash, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, lentils, nuts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    with non meat options you're going to be adding carbs for the most part as vegetarian sources of carbohydrates also tend to be carbs...which really isn't this horrible thing that is going to send you to hell like so many seem to believe.

Sans meat look to things like tofu and other soy products if you're so inclined...also eggs and egg whites if you eat those.

• rmfarris987
    rmfarris987 Posts: 15 Member
    Macros don't add/lose fat calories do I'm pretty lean and getting very lean and I consume around 500g of carbs a day. As long as your fats are low you can eat a ton of carbs
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Protein shakes and foods like chicken breast are high-protein, low-calorie options.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yep, gotta eat a little meat. 2 oz/day is plenty. Sliced turkey great! Keep carbs below 100/day.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Try bagels, and other foods with tag along proteins, like beans.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2016
    Macros don't add/lose fat calories do I'm pretty lean and getting very lean and I consume around 500g of carbs a day. As long as your fats are low you can eat a ton of carbs

Lovely! Do you find you have loads of energy and explosive workouts?
    Tell me you're taking Omega 3s and I'll be happy.
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Here is what I use for protein: dannon light fit greek style yogurt, egg beaters, veggie burgers (such as boca, morningstar farms,) gardein products, quorn products, nasoya tofu baked, protein shakes, quest bars.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    0% greek yogurt
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Carbs are nothing to fear , don't believe the hype.

To get extra protein, use a protein shake or Greek yogurt or things like beans and peanut butter can help too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    I am high carb and losing. Don't be shy with them. Lentils, beans, quinoa, barley, brown rice, sweet potatoes, plain oatmeal
    Open diary. Whole wheat pasta last night. Just stay within your calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Eggs and dairy if you eat them.

Soy/tofu, beans, lentils. Meat substitutes and protein bars/shakes might help.

You get some in whole grains and nuts and seeds.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, your best bet is to ignore the carbs (at least for now) and just focus on getting more protein in wherever you can. I agree with what has already been suggested: greek yogurt, eggs, veggie burgers, protein powders. Some whole grains have a decent amount of protein in them too.