Need Advice on Fitness Tracker with GPS and HRM - Please read for details

Options
So I have had the Misfit Flash (not very accurate and easy to lose), the Garmin Vivofit with HRM (my daily fitness tracker but HRM doesnt work unless youre moving your wrist), and the Polar FT4 (such a great HRM but can't upload data). I recently purchased the Garmin Vivoactive thinking it would be an upgrade and I like the vibrating alerts but OMG is this thing complicated and impractical. I cannot shut off the notifications or select which ones I receive and their is no simple way to view my HRM especially if I'm not exercising. I cant find on the app where the HRM activity is and thus far have not successfully logged a proper workout. I am returning it because it's HORRIBLE and was considering the A300 only that has no GPS. I want the GPS feature but the Polar m400 has the smart notifications. I DO NOT WANT NOTIFICATIONS or if the watch has them I wish to be able to shut them off.

I looked up HRM straps only but I cant find one that fits my needs and I kind of want a watch to track my sleep patterns. Does anyone know of a watch that has GPS, HRM, tracks calories, steps, distance, IS WATER PROOF (I dont want to take it off unless its to charge it), and does not come with the optical HRM (need a strap).

Please give me some advice on this. I really like the idea of the A900 but it's so dang expensive and I was looking at the Forerunners and TomTom line but I just dont know which is best.

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar A300 and I love it. I spent $129 on Amazon for it. It's waterproof, comes with a Bluetooth HRM chest strap so that it can connect to my phone and transfer the data over to my computer, it tracks sleeping patterns (though I rarely use it for that honestly) and tracks steps.

If you're looking for GPS, try the M400. It has GPS tracking capabilities and all of the aforementioned items as well. I don't run and definitely not outside, so I didn't require GPS for my own use. Amazon has it for $180.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Garmin 230.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't your HRM work with you vivofit unless you are moving your wrist? Steps don't work unless you are moving your wrist but HRM works fine. I was looking into the Garmin FR15 - gives me everything from my vivofit plus GPS. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger is because I still need to research why I would need a footpod for indoor treadmill running ( or would it suffice if I manually calibrated it). I also dont care about notifications. My reason for running is so that I can escape notifications :)
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going into a local running store and discussing your options. I did this before buying my Garmin 230 and it was so helpful.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    aside from everything you can get a docking station for the FT4(its called a flowlink) that will upload the watch's info to the computer.
  • MissDeevi
    MissDeevi Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The garmin vivofit line of watches do not collect hrm data unless you are swinging your arms. During gym use if you aren't running every so often you have to (and I don't mean to offend anyone by being blunt about this) do a handjob motion, shaking your hand so the watch knows to still track hear rate. On top of being annoying it is fairly embarrassing having to do this in front of a gym full of people. You also can't get a resting heart rate because of this. I assume it's because unlike the polar chest strap the garmin strap transmitter isn't removable to turn it off. The transmitter I had with the vivofit was a hard plastic front piece that was not detachable from the elastic band. With the vivosmart the design is nearly identical to polar straps but I could not get the garmin strap to link my hrm not even to the watch. The built in app meant for this task is basically useless along with many other features as most were intended for use on the more expensive forerunner line.

As for the FT4 you actually can't upload the data using a flowlink. That feature was only added on the FT7 though it may be an option with the FT40 but definitely not the FT4.

I ended up purchasing the polar m400 which I was initially dissatisfied with but after finally syncing have changed my mind. It can actually tell when the watch is not on your wrist and distinguishes between sitting, laying, standing, walking etc which seems to be accurate. I do wish the app was more in depth but I think garmin gave theirs entirely too much depth so the simplicity is refreshing.

While the watch supposedly has smart notifications I haven't gotten the feature to work which isn't that bad. I do miss the vibrate alert and the ability to set more than one alarm but beggers can't be choosers. Since I switched to apple from Android a few months ago I had no idea how many things are not compatible with iOS. It's a shame.

Side note...with the polar hrm that comes with the m400 being Bluetooth you don't even need the watch.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I don't understand your problem with the VivoFit as once you put it in exercise mode it'll keep recording HR data regardless of whether you're moving you arm or not. I can work on a turbo trainer for 90 minutes and that'll record no steps, but 90 minutes worth of HR data.

You select notifications in the Connect app, not on the VivoActive itself.

PEBCAK?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Most of the polar features will only work with IOS. you should be able to go to settings and turn the vibrate feature on.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    MissDeevi wrote: »
    The garmin vivofit line of watches do not collect hrm data unless you are swinging your arms. During gym use if you aren't running every so often you have to (and I don't mean to offend anyone by being blunt about this) do a handjob motion, shaking your hand so the watch knows to still track hear rate. On top of being annoying it is fairly embarrassing having to do this in front of a gym full of people. You also can't get a resting heart rate because of this. I assume it's because unlike the polar chest strap the garmin strap transmitter isn't removable to turn it off. The transmitter I had with the vivofit was a hard plastic front piece that was not detachable from the elastic band. With the vivosmart the design is nearly identical to polar straps but I could not get the garmin strap to link my hrm not even to the watch. The built in app meant for this task is basically useless along with many other features as most were intended for use on the more expensive forerunner line.
    This is simply not true. Sometimes I don't even wear my vivofit. Actually I just came back from the gym, I took my vivofit off (which I hardly ever do), turned on the heart rate and I am watching it take my readings right now even while I am typing. I do the same thing when I am cycling and want to stay in the zone. Something must be wrong with yours.

• MissDeevi
    Options
    MissDeevi wrote: »
    This is simply not true. Sometimes I don't even wear my vivofit. Actually I just came back from the gym, I took my vivofit off (which I hardly ever do), turned on the heart rate and I am watching it take my readings right now even while I am typing. I do the same thing when I am cycling and want to stay in the zone. Something must be wrong with yours.

It is simply not true for YOU and YOUR device. IT was absolutely true for ME and MY device. It actually says in the manual that it is triggered by the movement to save data. IE, it doesnt collect HRM data unless you're active. While it will steal connect with the watch, it isn't saving the data to send to Garmin Connect. To turn the HRM Ant+ connection off, you press the button. On the Garmin Connect App the HR screen will look as those you stopped working out which isn't helpful for me since I want the HR reading of the ENTIRE workout not just the part where I was swinging my arms around. Catch what I'm throwing?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Fenix 5X, I'm about to head to the gym and do an hour of lap swimming with it. I got an HRM-Swim which is a nifty chest strap. Water blocks ANT+ and BT, the strap has a memory and the watch reads the HR days when I get out of the water.

Forerunners are great too!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Forerunner, hands down. Best balance of price and features IMO. It does have optical HRM (most models will nowadays) but you can turn it off in user settings and use a strap only. Same with notifications...you can opt to turn them on/off in your settings.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin VivoActive HR, and I agree, it's a complete hassle. However, it can be personalized to do all the things you are talking about. The sleep tracking is it's weakest component, although after a few months it "learned" my sleep patterns and is more accurate that when I first got it. I also use a HRM strap (Wahoo TICKR X- which is waterproof) when training and you can turn off the optical HR sensor.
  • MissDeevi
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I have a Garmin VivoActive HR, and I agree, it's a complete hassle. However, it can be personalized to do all the things you are talking about. The sleep tracking is it's weakest component, although after a few months it "learned" my sleep patterns and is more accurate that when I first got it. I also use a HRM strap (Wahoo TICKR X- which is waterproof) when training and you can turn off the optical HR sensor.

My biggest thing was finding a device that didnt need to be charged. Ultimately I ended up with several that I need to charge every couple of days haha go figure and only one of them is waterproof. The sleep pattern feedback on the Garmin Vivo line is awesome, that was one of my favorite parts of the vivofit I had. Polar m400 and Apple watch don't do that well. Just got a fitbit blaze and its similar in how it tracks your sleep partners so thats a plus.
  • MissDeevi
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Forerunner, hands down. Best balance of price and features IMO. It does have optical HRM (most models will nowadays) but you can turn it off in user settings and use a strap only. Same with notifications...you can opt to turn them on/off in your settings.

I've looked at a lot of forerunners and I honestly get so confused. There's like a million different models and varying price ranges and I just dont have the patience to compare them all lol but definitely hear they're great watches, cadence and cycling devices. If you search Forerunner on the Garmin site you get almost 100 a results haha Everytime I tried to research them I felt like computer dog.

2khugpttdej1.png

I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    You probably don't need a feature if its use isn't obvious to you. :smile:
  • MissDeevi
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You probably don't need a feature if its use isn't obvious to you. :smile:

well duhhhh

When I was looking at them, I was looking for something similar to the Polar M400. At the time I had begun running and thought, oh wow look how many calories I burn and my legs look awesome, I need to really get into this, lets go spend $300 on a running watch (cause I'm super smart like that). A month later I was so over running. haha. I didn't take into account that treadmills are in an entirely different realm than real world running. I'm pretty sure I was about to die when I finished my first ever outdoors run on a nature trail out here in New Jersey. There werent even any hills. All I kept thinking is man, I'm in the woods, I hope they can figure out where I am by the GPS in this gold plated watch I bought for no reason.
  • MissDeevi
    Options
    FYI, my watch isn't actually gold plated but it should have been and I actually do use it everyday. Got so much wear I had to order a replacement band. lol Still, the reason why I bought it was dumb haha
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Garmin actually made a Fenix in (rose) gold.
  • MissDeevi
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Garmin actually made a Fenix in (rose) gold.

and Im sure everyone who bought it didn't need it, wore it once then retired it to the back of a junk drawer lol