Grass fed vs. commercially raised

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    , but Americans tend to eat too much omega-6. Fish oil supplements are good, though in trials they have failed to provide the benefits seen in epidemiologic data for those that eat foods high in omega-3. I like to get it from food.

The original study that started the Omega - 3 fish eating hype was recently reanalyzed and found to methodologically poor so it's not surprising. The big issue was that the researchers got their data on heart disease from asking Inuit community members if people died from heart disease a lot rather than actually bothering with primary health records. This fact along with failure to note the same results with fish oil should be an indication that the study was wrong.

Epidemiologic data, at least, does show less heart disease in those that eat more omega-3 rich fish. Not all that data is on the Inuit community.

These also tend to be cultures with better diets such as Japan I would imagine. I'm not convinced that omega-3 is the key although a diet with plenty of fish may have benefits for other reasons. The search continues.

I'll have to do some searching I guess, but I'm pretty sure the long term American epidemiological studies all show this. Like those decades long studies being done by Harvard and Brigham Young.[/quote]

What about contra indicators such as Hawaiians? I'd be interested in such populations as well since I suspect they might run counter to general findings.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to EPA and DHA having a cheap vegan source available in the future instead of relying on the diet of cattle: https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/fatty-acids-from-gm-oilseed-crops-could-replace-fish-oil

I'd be interested to see if vegans would touch gmo sources on principle.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't realize that "grass fed" beef could be finished with corn. If that is the case than their fat content may not be a lot better. I buy my beef from a farmer friend and it is grass fed start to finish and not corn or grain finished. The fat content is very low.

Why do you hate delicious?
  • RedBeardBruce
    RedBeardBruce Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be much evidence on any major difference between the two: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/green-choices-meat-and-poultry-buyers-guide

There doesn't even seem to be consistent definitions of what "grass fed" means.

Oh, and don't trust mother earth news as an objective fact-based source.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to EPA and DHA having a cheap vegan source available in the future instead of relying on the diet of cattle: https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/fatty-acids-from-gm-oilseed-crops-could-replace-fish-oil

There are vegan sources of EPA/DHA Omega 3 available now. I buy Together OceanPure softgels, made from algae oil.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you haven't tried it, the I highly recommend a taste of pasture-fed butter. It will rock your buttery world. Not just grass-fed, mind you, which could be from cows eating hay in the barn in the winter, but pasture-fed, which can only be gotten in warm months in most climates. I don't normally "do" organic or any other natural food-marketing nonsense, but the taste of butter from cows eating fresh meadow salad is something to be experienced.

ETA: for the extra money, try to make sure its also cultured. much tastier that way.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you haven't tried it, the I highly recommend a taste of pasture-fed butter. It will rock your buttery world. Not just grass-fed, mind you, which could be from cows eating hay in the barn in the winter, but pasture-fed, which can only be gotten in warm months in most climates. I don't normally "do" organic or any other natural food-marketing nonsense, but the taste of butter from cows eating fresh meadow salad is something to be experienced.

My uncle and now cousin have pasture/grass fed cows and churn their own butter. It's certainly great but if it's a lot more expensive at the stores then I'll pass. :confused:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

On what principle would vegans avoid GMO foods or products?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    , , but Americans tend to eat too much omega-6. Fish oil supplements are good, though in trials they have failed to provide the benefits seen in epidemiologic data for those that eat foods high in omega-3. I like to get it from food.

The original study that started the Omega - 3 fish eating hype was recently reanalyzed and found to methodologically poor so it's not surprising. The big issue was that the researchers got their data on heart disease from asking Inuit community members if people died from heart disease a lot rather than actually bothering with primary health records. This fact along with failure to note the same results with fish oil should be an indication that the study was wrong.

Epidemiologic data, at least, does show less heart disease in those that eat more omega-3 rich fish. Not all that data is on the Inuit community.

These also tend to be cultures with better diets such as Japan I would imagine. I'm not convinced that omega-3 is the key although a diet with plenty of fish may have benefits for other reasons. The search continues.

I'll have to do some searching I guess, but I'm pretty sure the long term American epidemiological studies all show this. Like those decades long studies being done by Harvard and Brigham Young.

What about contra indicators such as Hawaiians? I'd be interested in such populations as well since I suspect they might run counter to general findings.

Quite possibly, though that certainly wouldn't mean that rest of the data was wrong or invalidated.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be much evidence on any major difference between the two: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/green-choices-meat-and-poultry-buyers-guide

There doesn't even seem to be consistent definitions of what "grass fed" means.

Oh, and don't trust mother earth news as an objective fact-based source.

Mother Earth News objective? ::laugh:: Um, no. Certainly not. But would they falsify published data? I doubt it. Too much potential for lawsuits. And the data on meat is consistent with other studies. I haven't been able to find much data on butter though, even after half-heartedly searching for it after reading this article.

Also, the WebMD article seems to say the same thing that MEN article said, minus any mention of butter.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

There are plenty of vegans that eat GMOs and actually push back on their fellow vegans that avoid it. There's actually a decent YouTube channel called The Unnatural Vegan who is pretty pro-science and pro-GMO.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

There are plenty of vegans that eat GMOs and actually push back on their fellow vegans that avoid it. There's actually a decent YouTube channel called The Unnatural Vegan who is pretty pro-science and pro-GMO.

I am very pro-GMO, I know of many other vegans who feel the same way.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't realize that "grass fed" beef could be finished with corn. If that is the case than their fat content may not be a lot better. I buy my beef from a farmer friend and it is grass fed start to finish and not corn or grain finished. The fat content is very low.

If you buy beef labeled 'grass fed' in the US then it was not corn finished. But it is no guarantee that the cattle were pastured all year or raised without antibiotics or hormones. The feed is the only thing that is guaranteed.

Not actually the case. https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/your-grass-fed-beef-real-heres-how-tell-and-why-it-matters

Has to be certified by the AGA (which you have mentioned), and only so many brands of beef are.

Just like many organic growers, the price of certification is often too high for some small farmers so they may raise their cattle grass fed but not be certified. Basically, know and trust the source.

The amount of fat can also depend a little on the breed of cattle. Around here (Wisconsin) many of the small farmers who raise totally grass fed beef use Highland cows because they are known for being able to turn less than ideal pasture into well marbled meat. The bigger farmers still use Angus or Herefords. We also have some who raise bison or beefalo
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

A lot seem to be anti gmo from my experience just based on FUD.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Thanks, seems to go against the grain and I'll take a look.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

There may be some overlap between anti-GMO communities and vegan communities, but there is nothing intrinsic to veganism that would cause someone to be anti-GMO.

In fact, interest in reducing suffering (which is a popular motivation for veganism) would actually correlate with support for GMOs because they have so much potential to better feed people in the world (and potentially reduce reliance on animal exploitation).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

There may be some overlap between anti-GMO communities and vegan communities, but there is nothing intrinsic to veganism that would cause someone to be anti-GMO.

In fact, interest in reducing suffering (which is a popular motivation for veganism) would actually correlate with support for GMOs because they have so much potential to better feed people in the world (and potentially reduce reliance on animal exploitation).

Completely in agreement with that line of logic.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    We raise our own meat. Grass fed, bits of grain to supplement hay in winter when pastures are snow covered. When we go out to eat or eat at a friends home our kids will often notice the flavor diff and ask what is "wrong" with the meat. Very distinct flavour difference. Grass fed meat is tasty. Good enough for me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    @lithezebra Why don't you trust Mother Earth News? Too hippy?

@Need2Exerc1se , Not enough science. For example, they are very sketchy on scientific details when they call herbal remedies "safe and effective," then list herbs that have known interactions with other medications. I have no patience with that kind of "advice."