Running tips, please!

Options
I have been training for a while to get ready for a half marathon in June. The most I have done is 9.25 miles but I have been finding recently that I loose motivation after 5-6 miles and it has been hard for me to keep going past that point, although I physically can. I don't know if I am just getting bored or what... Any suggestions to help me get to 13.1??

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Where are you running? Same place over and over?
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @kramrn77 right now just on a treadmill at the gym because there's too much snow outside. I know that could be part of the problem
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're bored. Long runs on treadmills suck. I can do maybe 8 miles and then I'm tired of running on the treadmill. I can do the longer distances outside much more easily (mentally).

What do you do while you're running? Listen to music? Is there a TV on the treadmill? Or maybe listen to a podcast or audiobook to keep your mind engaged.

Also, if you can do 9 miles, you can do the full 13. My longest pre-half distance was 9 or so just 2 weeks before the race. So don't worry a whole lot about distance - stick to plan as best you can and avoid injury and you'll be fine. You have lots of time to get the mileage up if you want.

~Lyssa
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    @kramrn77 right now just on a treadmill at the gym because there's too much snow outside. I know that could be part of the problem

So in terms of endurance, you've got no problem extending to HM distance from where you are now.

As far as boredom is concerned, I'll comfortably go out and do 21.1 as a weekend training run in the woods or the trails, but I struggle with a mile on a treadmill.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's the treadmill that's the issue. Once the snow has gone, you'll be able to get out there and do some outdoor mileage.

Do you do the same distance/pace each time?

Maybe do some different runs - tempo, interval, short & fast, long & steady.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running can be rough. There are some good suggestions above: music (maybe make a special playlist of songs you only listen to while running -- I won't let myself listen to new songs I download *unless* I'm running if I need extra motivation), TV (if you can stream shows, pick a suspenseful series and only watch it on the threadmill), listen to podcasts/books on tape (again, extra motivation from suspenseful stuff).

Or give yourself a reward after you hit your mileage goal. I often do a long run on Sunday and when I have to do it on the treadmill due to due weather, I'll always get a bagel afterwards. Very motivating for me: I don't shower unless I meet my mileage goal (this has never failed -- that is, I hate being dirty, so I always meet the goal). Set a weekly mileage goal and, if you meet it, buy yourself a piece of running clothing/gear. I've even printed a picture of the pricey thing I want and put it in a place where I can see it.

Change up the pace of the run. Doing a flat 10-15 miles on the treadmill is a motivation killer. I mix it up with incline and speed. Build a playlist of songs with alternating tempo and speed up every other song.

Hope these help!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Have you run outside in the winter before? If not, get the right clothes and try it. I'm in Minnesota and this is my first winter running outside and I love it! Don't let snow keep you stuck inside. Try a mile outside and see how it goes.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Even an outdoor track might help- anything to shake up the routine. I try not to run the same place all the time as I get bored and stop (ok, I also don't do the mileage you do). But finding something different to look at while I run really helps.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep, probably a treadmill problem more than anything. Honestly, I can run a 10 miler and it will go by in a flash, yet a 2 mile treadmill run will feel like obscene torture.

Also, it might be burnout. I know I get really into running, and after about 5 months (and usually close to race time), I start to suffer burnout. So I take a week or two away, then I want to get back to it
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You're doing better than me. I believe 5 miles is my record on the dreadmill. I really hate those things. So I always find a way to get outside. After our 30 inch blast from Old Man Winter this past weekend I had to run on the treadmill once. I will be outside again tomorrow. Look around your neighborhood. Ask at your local running store. There's always someplace to run.

Good luck with the race.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Another thought is to see if any of the schools nearby have indoor tracks open to the public. Several local high schools here have them. Not as nice as running outdoors but a lot better than the treadmill.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You're bored. Long runs on treadmills suck. I can do maybe 8 miles and then I'm tired of running on the treadmill. I can do the longer distances outside much more easily (mentally).

What do you do while you're running? Listen to music? Is there a TV on the treadmill? Or maybe listen to a podcast or audiobook to keep your mind engaged.

Also, if you can do 9 miles, you can do the full 13. My longest pre-half distance was 9 or so just 2 weeks before the race. So don't worry a whole lot about distance - stick to plan as best you can and avoid injury and you'll be fine. You have lots of time to get the mileage up if you want.

~Lyssa

I agree with this. Love my podcasts and audiobooks when I run. They are my 'treat' and the run will fly by.

Also, I'm sure you're fine, but make sure you're running enough miles per week total in addition to your long run. Some people associate 'boredom' with running when it's actually fatigue. I like the rule that your long run should be no more than 25%-33% of your total weekly mileage. I find a lot of newbie plans have you really stretch out your long run but don't do a good job at building up the rest of the week. You're probably fine so I'm just mentioning that just in case.

Also, agree with @7lenny7 get the gear and run in 'bad' weather. I live in a normally nice year-round climate. But the days when it's stormy I feel like such a bada-- for getting out there. It will build your confidence as a runner (assuming it's safe, don't run in ice unless you have the right gear for that).

• 7lenny7
    Options
    But the days when it's stormy I feel like such a bada-- for getting out there.

@blues4miles, indeed! My profile picture is me just before I went out on my coldest run yet. 8 miles, -7ºF temp, -23ºF wind chill.

• time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Take a preworkout.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@blues4miles, indeed! My profile picture is me just before I went out on my coldest run yet. 8 miles, -7ºF temp, -23ºF wind chill.

Which is fine and all (I have an hour walking commute every day even when it's -40 and I don't find it to be a huge deal if I'm properly attired) but how do you avoid falls? I have Yaktrax or whatever they are but I still feel SO unsafe running on ice/snow, and I really don't want to sprain or break something and bench myself for weeks.

I'm pretty clumsy but I don't feel like this is an irrational fear.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Former coworkers of mine used to tell me with awe "wow, saw you running in the rain today." I told them they should be even MORE impressed when they see me out at lunch and it's 98 or something stupid. We jokingly coined phrases for the runs: bada-- or dumba--. Sometimes when I come back from a run in the heat I FEEL like a dumba-- :/

peleroja wrote: »

Which is fine and all (I have an hour walking commute every day even when it's -40 and I don't find it to be a huge deal if I'm properly attired) but how do you avoid falls? I have Yaktrax or whatever they are but I still feel SO unsafe running on ice/snow, and I really don't want to sprain or break something and bench myself for weeks.

Hence why I said only if it's safe! I think running on the ice is where I draw the line. Injury is scary. My understanding is though sometimes it can be snowy but not always icy? I live in a hot climate so not an issue for me personally.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm with you. I will run in the cold, but once the ice is on the ground . . . I'm done. I've had a couple of bad falls while just walking (I live in Minnesota) and I know people who have broken legs or arms on the ice (my husband broke his hand last winter). I don't want to risk it, so I run inside until the ice is gone.
  • lisa_lamb
    lisa_lamb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would say you need about 12 weeks to build up your long run for a half marathon, starting from about 5 miles getting to 12 miles 2 weeks before the race. So you're way ahead of where you need to be with your training! I wouldn't be trying to run further until nearer the time! Maybe focus on shorter faster runs, keeping your long run at 8-9 miles for now? Do try to run outside when the weather is better as it is so much more fun! I find treadmills so boring- I'd hate to run 9 miles on one! Research a good safe route so you feel confident about where you are running xx
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2016
    Options

Dressing to run in the cold is a bit trickier than dressing to walk in the cold. When you're walking in the cold you can really bundle up because you don't need the mobility that you do when running, you can wear big, clunky boots, and you don't get near the body temperature fluctuations.

As far as slipping, I haven't found the need to wear YakTrax, or put screws in my shoes. I'm still using the same shoes I wore in the summer. I'm just wearing warmer socks and sometimes I'll put duct tape over the front of my shoes to block the wind.

About 60% of my road running is literally on the roads. With all the salt they spread out to melt the snow the roads are actually pretty clean. I run on roads that either have a very wide shoulder or parking lane, or are residential and get very little traffic. Of the 40% of my running on sidewalks and paved trails, most of that is either packed snow (which is actually very easy and safe to run on) or clear. Where there is ice, it's rarely for long stretches and there's usually a path I can take to avoid it, such as on the grass. Some of my favorite trails have a northern exposure and are too treacherous to run so I will avoid those until the spring melt.

I don't think that winter running in snowy climates is anything to fear or avoid (and I do most of my winter running in the dark, with no headlamp). With common sense, a short stride, and proper dress it's just not a big deal, certainly on more risky that the rocks and roots of trail running. I'm not the only one who feels that way because I see a lot of other folks around here running in the winter.

It's just personal preference but I'd much rather face the slight risk of winter running than be cooped up inside on a treadmill.

• 7lenny7
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My understanding is though sometimes it can be snowy but not always icy? I live in a hot climate so not an issue for me personally.

Correct. Packed snow is easy and very safe to run on. Ice...not so much. You have to be careful with loose or freshly fallen snow because it can hide ice underneath.