Friend suggests 1200 calories. Is this too little?

Options
MFP suggests 1610 cals but my friend tells me I'll never lose eating this much, I'm pretty heavy and I've listed myself as a sedentary lifestyle

I feel like 1200 is something I will lose weight fast with but won't stick to

Any advice

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Go with what MFP suggests. A lot of people see "1200" almost like a buzz word. Your gut is pretty much spot on, faster results but less likely to be long-term results.

Get a food scale, weigh and log your food - remember, it was the tortoise, not the hare that won the race!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keep carbs below 100 grams/day. 1200 cals is fine. :)
  • dizzybee83
    dizzybee83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ooooo good advice Thankyou :)

I don't think many people need just 1200 especially when working out
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    MFP has already put you in a deficit with 1610, so go with that.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    go with the 1600, if you start with 1200 you cant cut you calorie intake at any point as there's nowhere healthy to go
    also you will burn more if you are active
    if its a mind set issue set your target at 1500 and if you go over its not bad :)
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Go with what MFP suggest and see how you're doing with it. When I started about 35 lb ago I also netted at around 1600, now I obviously need less to see some movement on the scale and to lose inches. If you update your weight, MFP will, overtime, adjust the allotted calories for you.
  • dizzybee83
    dizzybee83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies. Do many people stick to the 1200 cal mark? Is it even advisable?
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather start off with advice such as on MFP that calculates what you should be having rather than that of a friend who probably isn't a fitness and nutrition expert. Give it a month on 1600 then if you aren't getting the results you want, you can lower your calories. If you start on 1200 then you really have nowhere to go to lower if needed and you don't want things like your hair to start suffering because you aren't eating enough. Or shoot for 1500, you really shouldn't need to go much lower than that unless you don't have much weight to lose - just a few pounds. Make sure you are accurate with your intake, weigh and measure for best results.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    1200 is often too low for many ( unless the person is really tiny, old, short)
    1600 is much more sustainable. You will lose weight as long as your at a deficit. To make sure your really at a deficit, its important to use a food scale
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Plenty of people stick to 1200 plus exercise calories. Plenty of people eat more. The NIH recommends at least 1000 for women, and 1200 is a number that appeared up in a popular diet book in the 1920's, and just kind of stuck in the popular mind. MFP calculates the allowance based on the height, weight, activity and weight loss goals that YOU put in, so the math should match your personalized goals. I'd agree with giving it a shot and seeing how it goes for you before making any changes.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LOL is your friend a TDEE calculator …????? I am guess no, so listen to MFP and forget what your friend is saying….people think they know fitness and nutrition because they googled some dumb article in woman's world about miracle soups and 1200 calories diets that fit all ...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    If I could only eat 1,200 cals a day, I would get so hungry I would google: how to cook my cats
    I'm 5'2.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unless your friend is a registered dietitian... NEVER listen to your friends when it comes to diets... ever.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person honestly, you can't look at anyone and say you should eat X calories without knowing their weight/height/activity level/exercise habits because it all plays a role. MFP is pretty accurate, so eat what MFP gives you. You'll lose weight.
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I tried doing 1200 in the beginning. Absolute hell. Temptation to chew my hands off was a regular lol stick with what the app says
  • mrscartguy
    mrscartguy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1200 calories and it is tough. I go over every day and I am hungry!!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mrscartguy wrote: »
    MFP has me at 1200 calories and it is tough. I go over every day and I am hungry!!!!

What did you enter as your goal rate of loss for each week?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would definitely use what MFP told you for calories and ignore what friends advise.
    As you lose weight you will lower the amount of calories you eat. You may eventually get to the point where 1200 is your calorie goal but why start with the absolute minimum when you do not have to?
  • mrscartguy
    mrscartguy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    janejellyroll - I put in for 1.5 lbs a week. Is that to much? Should I change it? I am new to this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mrscartguy wrote: »
    janejellyroll - I put in for 1.5 lbs a week. Is that to much? Should I change it? I am new to this.

The more aggressive your goal, the fewer calories MFP will give you. If you want to eat more calories, choosing 1 pound a week as your goal will give you more. Choosing .5 a week will give you even more.