Question about macros

Options
I am writing his here because I am currently maintaining my weight within 4-5lb range and have done for over a year.
My question is, how important are macros?
I looked at my settings and suggested macro percentages in my diary and I noticed I am always under on fat and always under on carbs and always over on protein.
Should I change my eating habits to comply closer to the suggested goals?

Thanks

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You can customize your macro percentages. Below are the recommended percentage ranges.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/12035-can-i-customize-my-nutritional-goals-

The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institutes of Medicine (IOM) recently released energy, macronutrient, and fluid recommendations, which acknowledged for the first time that active individuals have unique nutritional needs. The IOM calculated an acceptable macronutrient distribution range for carbohydrate (45%-65% of energy), protein (10%-35% of energy), and fat (20%-35% of energy; limit saturated and trans fats). These proportions provide a range broad enough to cover the macronutrient needs of most active individuals, but specific carbohydrate and protein recommendations are also typically made based on a g/kg body weight formula. [1]

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010 provided the information in theTable [2].

71jf83a4i76f.jpg

References:

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16004827

[2] health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/dietaryguidelines2010.pdf
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein is fine
    if anything the percentage RDA is quite possibly a little low particularly for those in defecit with some progressive resistance work you're looking at around 0.64g per lb bodweight minimum

fats - you should be aiming for 0.3-0.4g per lb bodyweight

carbs are personal choice
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I take far less care over macros when maintaining compared to cutting. A broadly varied and nutritious diet that you enjoy and can adhere to is far more important IMHO than agonising over macros as a long term strategy.

There are times I feel it's beneficial to track with some care - a very heavy training program, preparation for an event, a short cut after holidays/vacations as examples.
    When I'm actively tracking macros then it's roughly (not rigidly)1g protein / 1lb of LBM, 0.4g of fat per 1lb of body weight as minimums and carbs fall wherever they fall within my calorie goal.

I like flexible dieting and the IIFYM philosophy but dislike the rigidity of the IIFYM website.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't care much either. I just make sure to eat 110g of protein as often as possible (I'm 135 pounds) and I try to get 60g of fat and 25g of fiber. Typically I end up with over 130g of protein and over on fat and fiber, which is perfect to keep me as full as possible (which is really the goal for me).
  • yapdog
    yapdog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply. Just with reading through posts on the site macros come up in conversation regularly and I was just interested to know what you think. As some people pay more attention to them than others. Maintainence is working well for me and I enjoy training every week.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you feel good, like your body composition, enjoy your food, and have the energy to do your daily life plus workouts, your macro percentages are working for you.
  • louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It varies with each individual. There is so much written on this subject and so many different approaches. In my case, I did not see the results I wanted until I started paying attention to my macros and tracking carefully. But that does not mean it will work for everyone. My advice would be since you have not worried about your macros and you have been maintaining and you are happy with the way you look and feel then keep doing what you are doing.
  • yapdog
    yapdog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! Yep not gonna fix it if it's not broke lol!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    This is a discussion best saved for a nutritionist and a/your trainer. However since you asked, I would tell you it completely depends on your goals. I periodically adjust mine but normally I keep mine at 35/40/25 (Carbs/protein/fat) but I will adjust the numbers when I am not seeing the results I am looking for. I may go 30/50/20. When I was running, I would load up on carbs before a long run.
    As for hitting those numbers every day, I wouldn’t sweat it, those are just targets I focus on keeping close to the ratios.
    Bottom line; if you are feeling good and like where you are then don’t change a thing.
    Good luck!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbs and protein, and increase healthy fats. 20/20/60 will do nicely!