Diet Coke = Water

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Diet coke = water + chemicals.

Its your choice if you want to drink it/log it.
    It's still going to get some water into your system but you have to decide for yourself if you are happy with the accompanying additives (caffeine, sweeteners, sodium etc).
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It's "possible" but it's cheating yourself out of real water. I only count plain/clear water as my water intake.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I chart all drinks as what they are. even kool aid. Why would i cheat myself :)
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Using MFP as a calorie counter is the core of the diet/app/lifestyle. I never record liquids/water whatever. I just drink them. As long as you are staying reasonably hydrated, calorie counting will work. When I've ridden my bike a 90 minutes and haven't drank any water along the way, my body will get what it needs when I do drink after the ride - from any liquid, water, diet coke, snapple, beer, whatever.

And water weight is just that, water weight. That is the amount your body is hydrated at a given time and that amount naturally fluctuates because of a myriad of factors.

If you ingest more fuel (calories) than you expend, you will over time gain weight. Ingest less fuel than you expend, lose weight.

Hydration is a different issue. The body does not normally over-hydrate. Dehydration (under-hydration) happens from not taking in enough fluids over time, especially during times of increased perspiration.

Drinking Diet Coke when dehydrated will re-hydrate your body. Take that to the bank.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it because of all the toxins in it. Your body uses the water in the Diet Coke to remove the toxins present in it, therefore it cannot have the intended detoxifying effect on the body. Phosporic acid, aspartame, and caffeine all require water to remove from the body.

I also believe that chronic caffeine use contributes to a thicker waistline due to increased cortisol levels.
  • butterflywingz
    Options
    I think as long as it is caffiene free ( Caffiene dehydrates you) then its ok but ultimatley water is way better for you, but you know this :)
  • jenmerrick
    Options
    Yikes, I didn't mean to start a caffeine war! I will take the information to heart and just count "water" as water - can't quite give up my diet coke but will probably limit it to 1 a day.

Thanks to all for the good advice, I read every entry!

Jen
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but water as water :bigsmile:

Diet Coke or diet anything with Aspartame does not pass my lips anymore, I hate even selling the stuff in our shop.

Do you have 90 minutes to spare?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6551291488524526735#

I suggest that you watch this with an open mind :smile:
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT! It is very high in sodium! WATER

Ummm, NO!! Look at a can of pop, it's 30-50mg of sodium. Municipal water has about 30g and most bottled water is exempt from having to list sodium so it's a random guess (though I believe Nestle posts it) just like how if something is under 5 calories per servings they can print it as 0 as per the FDA.

Having 1 can of pop is 2% of your daily sodium requirement, 2% is definitely not "a lot".

+1 Thank you for saying this - I was going to say the same thing.

I do go for 8 glasses of actual water per day, though. It just makes me feel better. (I definitely drink diet soda on top of that!)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    *face palm*
  • LukeEalden
    LukeEalden Posts: 38
    Options
    One of the best things I did was giving up Coke/Diet Coke/Coke Zero.

If you can't drink water on it's own, try a no added sugar squash instead.
  • April5785
    April5785 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nope! Nothing with caffiene, that is. You see, caffiene is a dieuretic, which means it makes you pee. So for every cup of coffee, soda (diet or otherwise), tea, ect, you will probably end up peeing out about 2 cups. So it's actually working against you. If you drink only caffeinated beverages, you will eventually dehydrate yourself. Sorry.

Definitely True!!!! I'm a coke-a-holic and I have to drink extra water because I get dehydrated easily from all the coke I drink!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds harsh to anyone but it really surprises me that anyone can think they can include Diet fizzy drinks as water. They have no water content in them so why would you include them?!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds harsh to anyone but it really surprises me that anyone can think they can include Diet fizzy drinks as water. They have no water content in them so why would you include them?!

Er... is this serious?! You're a bit mistaken. The 1st ingredient in diet soda is carbonated water (at least in all the ones I've checked). Ingredients are listed in order of highest quantity to lowest quantity, therefore water is the main ingredient.

You can debate what affect the carbonation and artificial sweetener and caffeine has on you, but to say there is no water content in diet sodas is a blatantly false statement. I'm all for health and don't think people should be drinking sodas all day, but false statements don't do anyone any good.

Here are the ingredients in a few popular diet soda brands, from their official websites:

Ingredients in Diet coke: Carbonated Water,Caramel Color,Aspartame,Phosphoric Acid,Potassium Benzoate (to protect taste), Natural Flavors,Citric Acid,Caffeine

Ingredients in Diet Dr. Pepper: CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, ASPARTAME, PHOSPHORIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), CAFFEINE. PHENYLKETONURICS CONTAINS: PHENYLALANINE
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    *face palm*

I second that.

Okay, for all of you people that want to count beverages that AREN'T water toward your daily water intake, be my guest.

And if you think you can stay hydrated through eating apples and drinking diet chemical-ridden sodas, you're drunk.

I'll go on drinking my 120oz per day of water and providing my body what it needs to perform at maximum efficacy.
  • Kuniva
    Kuniva Posts: 8
    Options
    Using MFP as a calorie counter is the core of the diet/app/lifestyle. I never record liquids/water whatever. I just drink them. As long as you are staying reasonably hydrated, calorie counting will work. When I've ridden my bike a 90 minutes and haven't drank any water along the way, my body will get what it needs when I do drink after the ride - from any liquid, water, diet coke, snapple, beer, whatever.

And water weight is just that, water weight. That is the amount your body is hydrated at a given time and that amount naturally fluctuates because of a myriad of factors.

If you ingest more fuel (calories) than you expend, you will over time gain weight. Ingest less fuel than you expend, lose weight.

Hydration is a different issue. The body does not normally over-hydrate. Dehydration (under-hydration) happens from not taking in enough fluids over time, especially during times of increased perspiration.

Drinking Diet Coke when dehydrated will re-hydrate your body. Take that to the bank.

Diet Coke WILL NOT, PROPERLY hydrate your body. Yes, it has water in it, yes your body can use that water, no it can not get the same benefit as it would from tap water. Not only that, but the added carbonation fills you up and will make you drink less than you need. Also.... Beer?? Gotta be joking if you use that as a source of water. If you truly value your health, DRINK STANDARD WATER.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion. I just wonder why. If you drink the proper amount of plain ol' water there's no need to worry whether anything else counts as water. Bonus! :happy:
  • lanie25
    lanie25 Posts: 42
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just gave up soda (Diet Mt Dew) and have noticed a huge difference in my body. You don't need all those chemical in soda, stick with water. Add a slice of lemon or lime for flavor. In the summer I make a pitcher of ice water that has cucumber, orange, and lemon slices in it. I got this recipe from the Ritz Hotel lady. Yummy!
  • lanie25
    lanie25 Posts: 42
    Options
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    *face palm*

I second that.

Okay, for all of you people that want to count beverages that AREN'T water toward your daily water intake, be my guest.

And if you think you can stay hydrated through eating apples and drinking diet chemical-ridden sodas, you're drunk.

I'll go on drinking my 120oz per day of water and providing my body what it needs to perform at maximum efficacy.

speaking of drunk......oh nevermind