1200 calories for a 5'2" woman is supposedly appropriate but I'm still hungry

Options
How are you short ladies maintaining this? I'm always hungry when I only eat 1200. I feel my best when I eat around 1800 calories. I'm currently 124 lbs and would like to get down to 120 lbs. I have a 15 month old that I'm still breast feeding. My pre pregnancy weight was 121 lbs so I'm almost there but am having a hard time losing these last 3-4 lbs. I'm 31 years old.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Says who

I know 5'2 women who lose weight eating considerably more

Move more to eat more

3-4lbs is nominal ...1/2 lb a week
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you lose weight on 1,800?
  • Mducat82
    Mducat82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I find that eating the most calories at lunch instead of diner works best. I stay full longer and can usually just have a protein shake or small diner and be fully satisfied. I also take a fiber supplement called glucomannon before each meal. It absorbs liquid in your stomach and helps you stay fuller longer. Also I try and drink my at least 1/2 my weight in water. 1lb = 1 oz water. Good luck
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Did you use the guided setup at MFP, or just entered the number? If you just entered the number, where did you get that number from?

Just plugging numbers into another calculator gives me the TDEE of 1634 calories. That's, basically, what you use just doing your normal day. (I used sedentary because I don't know your activity level it could be more) Given that you have so little to lose, I'd recommend setting your goal to half a pound a week. Yes, it's slower, but it helps you adjust your eating habits to match.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Since you only have 4 pounds to lose and are breastfeeding, set your weekly weight loss goals to Maintain my current weight and enjoy those 1550 calories you'll get.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Did you use the guided setup at MFP, or just entered the number? If you just entered the number, where did you get that number from?

Just plugging numbers into another calculator gives me the TDEE of 1634 calories. That's, basically, what you use just doing your normal day. (I used sedentary because I don't know your activity level it could be more) Given that you have so little to lose, I'd recommend setting your goal to half a pound a week. Yes, it's slower, but it helps you adjust your eating habits to match.

I used her stats in the MFP setup and got 1200 when I put in Lose 1 pound per week. Half a pound would give her 1300 calories. But she's breastfeeding, so I suggested eating at maintenance calories.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I lost more weight on 1450 than on 1200. Eating more makes us freak out so we log better to offset that feeling. I'm on team lower-your-weekly-loss-goal too. This isn't a race. And the more you try to make it one by losing faster, the more painful it will be to lose at all. There's no reason for this to be unpleasant when you could easily trade that for waiting a little longer.

ETA: I'm also 5'2" (five one and three quarters really but so it is written on the driver's license)
  • anglebear2016
    anglebear2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gained 42 lbs during my pregnancy. I lost 34 lbs by my 6 week check up which left me with just 8 lbs to lose. Recently, I've lost 5 of the last 8 lbs. Now I'm stuck with the last 3 lbs. I wonder is breast feeding making it hard for me to lose these last few lbs? I lost so fast at first, but just slowed down at the last 8 lbs.
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" I weigh 164lbs, trying to get down to 110/120. I take in 1200-1300 cal. a day depending if I exercise. I only eat back half of the calories I burn exercising. I eat alot of protein, fruit and veg. When I started I would eat, for example a bagel with light cream cheese and be starving by 11:00. Now I eat egg, turkey sausage, fruit and coffee for breakfast. I noticed a huge difference in my appetite! When I do get a little peckish I might have some carrot sticks or an apple. Most of the time I drink a cup of tea, and that holds me till lunch. Proteins keep me pretty satiated through the day! Hope this helps!
  • dubird
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I used her stats in the MFP setup and got 1200 when I put in Lose 1 pound per week. Half a pound would give her 1300 calories. But she's breastfeeding, so I suggested eating at maintenance calories.

I just gave the TDEE, not the losing-weight-calorie-goal. I don't remember the formula for calculating it manually!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I gained 42 lbs during my pregnancy. I lost 34 lbs by my 6 week check up which left me with just 8 lbs to lose. Recently, I've lost 5 of the last 8 lbs. Now I'm stuck with the last 3 lbs. I wonder is breast feeding making it hard for me to lose these last few lbs? I lost so fast at first, but just slowed down at the last 8 lbs.

It's very normal to lose a large chunk of weight right after giving birth, it's also normal not to as well. 3 lbs left is very little. A lot of people have trouble with the last 10 pounds when losing weight, so it would be hard to blame it on breastfeeding. You were given some great advice above :).
  • anglebear2016
    Options

I'm not sure. I just started mfp about 2 weeks ago. Mfp gave me a goal of 1200. So that's what I've been trying to stick with. Prior to mfp I was not counting calories but I'm sure I was eating at least 2000 if not more prior to mfp. I try to go to the gym three times a week, I work a few days a week at a nursing home so I'm always on my feet at work, and I take care of the baby, cook, and clean up often while at home. My daughter is eating solids but still breast feeds often. Should I change my activity level from sendentary to lightly active?

• ChampagneLaughter495
    Options
    Good news is, breastfeeding burns around 300-500 calories a day so you can eat back those calories and be just fine.
  • dubird
    Options

I'm not sure. I just started mfp about 2 weeks ago. Mfp gave me a goal of 1200. So that's what I've been trying to stick with. Prior to mfp I was not counting calories but I'm sure I was eating at least 2000 if not more prior to mfp. I try to go to the gym three times a week, I work a few days a week at a nursing home so I'm always on my feet at work, and I take care of the baby, cook, and clean up often while at home. My daughter is eating solids but still breast feeds often. Should I change my activity level from sendentary to lightly active?

If you don't know what you ate before and want to find out, eat like you normally would for a week, except weigh and log EVERYTHING. That'll give you a starting point.

Also, sounds like you could go with lightly active. I would enter the gym time separate since it's not every day, but yeah, lightly active might help out.
  • anglebear2016
    Options

I used the guided setup. If I change my activity level to lightly active I am allowed a few more calories. Perhaps I'm getting my activity level wrong? What's the TDEE? At first I had my goal as 2 lbs per week but have changed it to 0.5 lbs.

It must be the breast feeding. I've never had such a hard time losing 4 lbs. I don't want to starve myself because my milk supply goes down and I feel very sick and too weak to interact with my daughter when I do this.

• anglebear2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Since you only have 4 pounds to lose and are breastfeeding, set your weekly weight loss goals to Maintain my current weight and enjoy those 1550 calories you'll get.

I will try this.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Says who

I know 5'2 women who lose weight eating considerably more

Move more to eat more

3-4lbs is nominal ...1/2 lb a week

Ok. Will do. I don't know why 1200 calories is recommended for short women by these websites. This feels like a starvation diet to me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you are on your feet for work, then -- by MFP guidelines -- you aren't sedentary. I would change it to lightly active. And if you set your goal for more than .5 per week, I would change it to that. More reasonable goals get higher calories per day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP if you are still breastfeeding I would be very careful to go as low as 1200 calories, although if your child is 15 months, you may not be producing that much milk and so preserving supply may not be as big of a concern, but something to be aware of nonetheless.

I'm 5'2 and lose weight eating far more than 1200 calories. I lost most of my weight eating 1600-1900 calories, and am currently maintaining my weight range (120-124) eating around 2100 or so calories.

You may also want to consider that most people fluctuate regularly, even within maintenance, so while you are within 3 pounds of your goal weight, you may be within an acceptable maintenance range.
  • anglebear2016
    Options
    Good news is, breastfeeding burns around 300-500 calories a day so you can eat back those calories and be just fine.

I'll try this.

If you don't know what you ate before and want to find out, eat like you normally would for a week, except weigh and log EVERYTHING. That'll give you a starting point.

Also, sounds like you could go with lightly active. I would enter the gym time separate since it's not every day, but yeah, lightly active might help out.

Ok. Prior to mfp I drank lots of juice and would eat chips, gummies, and fruit snacks often. I also ate out a lot. I was probably averaging about 2500 calories a day. I tried to eat healthy too but had junk food with it. I'll plug in a typical day of what I used to eat and see what comes up...
    janjunie wrote: »

It's very normal to lose a large chunk of weight right after giving birth, it's also normal not to as well. 3 lbs left is very little. A lot of people have trouble with the last 10 pounds when losing weight, so it would be hard to blame it on breastfeeding. You were given some great advice above :).

Thank you everyone for the advice and responses. It's greatly appreciated.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm much taller and very active. 1200 is fine for me. Obviously everybody has a different degree of hunger, but 1200 is NOT a starvation diet if you eat well.

To feel fuller, try to include more of these in your diet:

-non-starchy vegetables
    -fiber
    -liquid (water, unsweetened tea, coffee)
    -protein
    -fat