Best SWEETS in your neck of the woods! Or places you've tried elsewhere?

Options
Porto's in Southern California! Cuban pastries and Cuban coffee and all kinds of great and wonderful sweet heavenly stuff!

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Fanny May Trinidads http://www.fanniemay.com/trinidads®--1lb-hearts-a-flutter-wrap-fmc-128892?categoryId=400005581 . I used to get these all the time when we lived in the Chicago suburbs. My husband went for his 20th high school reunion a couple years ago & I had him bring me some back--I am too cheap to pay overnight shipping for them.

Here I like Kohr Bros frozen custard. It's delicious & only 140 calories for a small serving.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That looks tasty!

There are a bunch of places in the area here (central NJ). There's an Italian pastry shop (only had a couple things there but it was very good), a cheesecake shop (very tasty and reasonable serving size too!), a cupcake shop (they have special treats every day and make the best bread pudding I've ever had and their cupcakes are fantastic), a very good bakery with fantastic croissants, scones, and cupcakes, and a fantastic donut shop. Then a few mediocre bakeries I no longer go to.

Then there's Princeton with some more delicious bakeries/pastry shops, and the Whole Foods here actually has a very good bakery section too.

So, having grown up in France, eating a croissant or two pretty much every day, I'm pretty happy where I live.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sprinkles cupcakes in LA!!(:
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Harrison Bakery in Syracuse, NY. The best.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Do they put a boat-load of sweetened condensed milk in the cafe con leche? Cuz if not, it doesn't count. :)
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oakmont Bakery! YUM
    Do yourself a favor and if you're ever in the Pittsburgh area pay them a visit.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Or the Sd donut bar!(:
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Ehhh
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That looks tasty!

There are a bunch of places in the area here (central NJ). There's an Italian pastry shop (only had a couple things there but it was very good), a cheesecake shop (very tasty and reasonable serving size too!), a cupcake shop (they have special treats every day and make the best bread pudding I've ever had and their cupcakes are fantastic), a very good bakery with fantastic croissants, scones, and cupcakes, and a fantastic donut shop. Then a few mediocre bakeries I no longer go to.

Then there's Princeton with some more delicious bakeries/pastry shops, and the Whole Foods here actually has a very good bakery section too.

So, having grown up in France, eating a croissant or two pretty much every day, I'm pretty happy where I live.

Princeton is by Hamilton, right? There's this spot I've been to right after a baptism and I don't remember the name or anything but they had really, really good chocolate-covered croissants. The only thing I remember is that it was close to a train track. Lol.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Finger Hut Bakery Knox, IN. The best butter cookies and chocolate cake donuts!
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    Options
    Do they put a boat-load of sweetened condensed milk in the cafe con leche? Cuz if not, it doesn't count. :)

You know it. Those cheese roles have 'em too.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

Ehhh

You're right haha I just didn't know what else to write, that's why I put SD donut bar. Sprinkles is a little overrated

• GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    edited January 2016
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    Fanny May Trinidads http://www.fanniemay.com/trinidads®--1lb-hearts-a-flutter-wrap-fmc-128892?categoryId=400005581 . I used to get these all the time when we lived in the Chicago suburbs. My husband went for his 20th high school reunion a couple years ago & I had him bring me some back--I am too cheap to pay overnight shipping for them.

Here I like Kohr Bros frozen custard. It's delicious & only 140 calories for a small serving.

LOL those look really good. I might have them shipped. Are they all like that or can they have assorted ones in each box?
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    We have these things called "Beavertails" back home and OMFG is all I can say. Google it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There's not much in the way of standouts in Dallas. There's Sprinkles, and Top Pot, and the usual run-of-the-mill places. We have Neuhaus for chocolate if anyone's into Belgian chocolates.

There are a couple, though:
    • Boulangerie by The Village Baking Co. for French breads and pastries,
    • Henry's for ice cream though it's definitely hit or miss - the quality is always there but there are so many flavors and it's obvious they're trying to cater to every preference under the sun
    • Empire Bakery used to make the best chocolate layer cake anywhere - but they quit selling cakes at their retail store *sigh*
    • Kate Weiser chocolates - really fun (a chocolate snowman filled with cocoa and marshmallows that you melt in a pot of hot milk for hot cocoa for 4? What?), beautiful, and they taste good. And they're expensive. Oh, yes they are.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

LOL those look really good. I might have them shipped. Are they all like that or can they have assorted ones in each box?

You can have assorted ones: http://www.fanniemay.com/create-your-own-chocolates-gift . The Trinidads are my favorite, but I like the Truffles too. I just looked & shipping is cheaper now that it's cold outside.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    We have these things called "Beavertails" back home and OMFG is all I can say. Google it.

Love beavertails. I'm originally from Ottawa and had them at the canal every winter
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Love beavertails. I'm originally from Ottawa and had them at the canal every winter

I'm from Halifax so get them every time I fly home for a visit.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I'm from Halifax so get them every time I fly home for a visit.

I live in Sydney now :)