I'm I wasting my time on this

Options
min_oh
min_oh Posts: 7 Member
I'm wondering if this app with be another waste of time. And do many use it daily/religiously?

Replies

• min_oh
    Options
    min_oh wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this app will be another waste of time. And do many use it daily/religiously?

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hm - yes. many use it daily/religiously.

It will only be a waste of time if you DON'T use it daily/religiously.

Up to you whether you want to make it work or not.

Hint though - eat more than 1200 - that doesn't work for anyone.
  • jzcali
    jzcali Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't used other apps so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think it's great for tracking and keeping yourself accountable. I know many people who swear by it for help in reaching their goals. If you pair up with some friends on here it's kind of fun to make a bit of a competition on who gets the longest streak for days logged in a row or calories burned during a workout. The threads in the community are very motivating and some are pretty informative. I have just started using it this year. I'm down 12 lbs in 3 weeks and 7.5 inches lost from chest, waist, abdomen, and hips. If you use a heart rate monitor device like the Garmin Vivosmart HR it will link up with this app to track your calorie burned and log your exercise.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I use it on and off. I can only compare MFP with SparkPeople, which I do log on to every now and then. At the time I switched to MFP it had a much bigger food database. I also prefer the graphic design to SparkPeople's old design. SparkPeople also struck me as having a religious agenda which was off-putting to me.

It is advisable to use MFP every day. You will educate yourself about the food you're eating and after awhile it will become such a bit that you might avoid eating some high-calorie, empty-nutrition piece of junk food because you will dread having to log it.

Weigh everything you eat when possible. Eat foods whose calorie counts are reported.
  • bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have only seen results when I use this app daily. It works if u want it. If ur not gonna be serious about it u won't do it every day and u will fail. But that's not the apps fault
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

That's not accurate. There are some people with medical conditions or who simply aren't very large or active who must eat fewer than 1,200 calories to lose weight.

It is for the member to decide what her calorie max should be. If there are any doubts, a doctor or nutritionist should be consulted.

• min_oh
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

That's not accurate. There are some people with medical conditions or who simply aren't very large or active who must eat fewer than 1,200 calories to lose weight.

It is for the member to decide what her calorie max should be. If there are any doubts, a doctor or nutritionist should be consulted.

Really appreciate your feedback everyone :smile: I'm going to give this app my time. Now I have it synced with all my fit devices. I'll keep everyone posted.

Can I just ask, how did you see my personal data on my cal intake? It's been a busy day today, hence the increased cal intake :smiley:
  • min_oh
    Options

Really appreciate your feedback everyone :smile: I'm going to give this app my time. Now I have it synced with all my fit devices. I'll keep everyone posted.

Can I just ask, how did you see my personal data on my cal intake? It's been a busy day today, hence the increased cal intake :smiley:

Decreased cals not increased
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

MFP does not advocate less than 1200 calories unless under the care from a Dr. 1200 is the minimum for women and 1500 for men.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    i have used it for a year now and have lost 99 lbs. i really like the app. i use it everyday. hope you find it useful.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this app! It's wonderful has helped me lose almost 12 lbs. and I use it religiously.
  • dramamama06
    dramamama06 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Been logging in faithfully for 50 days..down 11.2..it works if you do the work
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I used it "religiously" for about a 6-8 months (Feb-October-ish). I had lost all the weight I wanted too, plus probably a little more. As I tried to gain and maintain, I got frustrated and decided to take a break. I went back and forth until about the next summer. I only log now when my weight creeps up or down too much or my clothes get tight. When I get back in my comfort weight zone, I stop logging my calories. I always log my workouts, just to keep track.
  • saminabilal
    saminabilal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have used it for a year now and have lost 99 lbs. i really like the app. i use it everyday. hope you find it useful.
    Wow Amazing!! Do you have any tips? Can I add you? :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I've logged for 963 day, lost 77 lbs and had a baby in between.

It works as long as you put the work into it. Logging, accuracy and sustainability are key.
  • MacroMan2016
    MacroMan2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for just one week, and already down 2.5 lbs.
    Of course remember, you need to exercise. I try to go to the gym (Planet Fitness) at least 3 times a week. Good luck, and stick with it and you will be surprised.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It will work of you want it to work.

You must be willing to put in the hard work necessary. I could build you 363637 apps and none would be any good if you don't eat at a deficit. For weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit.
    What makes mfp awesome is that it provides you with the tools needed to be sure your really eating at a deficit.
    You will have to do the work. Nobody here can motivate you to actually do it, you must want it !
    If your are serious, get yourself a food scale. Learn how to weigh all your foods. Yes everything. Even butter and peanut butter . measure every liquid. Learn how to log them accurately. This won't work if you are not accurate .
    So this app works if you want it to. Otherwise , it will just be wasted time. Its up to you.
  • dygitalpunk
    dygitalpunk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you have your answer. This is my second time using MFP.. I slacked off the first time and while I did lose weight I put most of it back on because my heart wasn't really in it. This time around I have logged in every day for the past 150 days and have lost just shy of 30LBS.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if this app will be another waste of time. And do many use it daily/religiously?

It's like with anything else, you need to work at it to see results, it's only a waste of time, if you think it is and don't want to put in the work.
  • julieta090818
    julieta090818 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    It will work of you want it to work.

You must be willing to put in the hard work necessary. I could build you 363637 apps and none would be any good if you don't eat at a deficit. For weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit.
    What makes mfp awesome is that it provides you with the tools needed to be sure your really eating at a deficit.
    You will have to do the work. Nobody here can motivate you to actually do it, you must want it !
    If your are serious, get yourself a food scale. Learn how to weigh all your foods. Yes everything. Even butter and peanut butter . measure every liquid. Learn how to log them accurately. This won't work if you are not accurate .
    So this app works if you want it to. Otherwise , it will just be wasted time. Its up to you.

I think i need a food scale ASAP..!! Ur right this is more accurate.. Thanks for the tip.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!